Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150633 - 05/21/11 07:06 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By billstephenson
A hiker in Arkansas got a few pics of a black bear that came into their camp on Saturday and posted them here

Time to start frying some bacon laugh

Bacon's good - but a 30 gallon drum full of day old gonna be thrown out donuts is the stuff.. Bears love donuts.

Browse my pictures

#150643 - 05/22/11 02:06 AM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: dla]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By dla
I agree that there are more people in most areas. I haven't a clue about bear population 100 years ago

I've read up on this for this area, but please allow me some wiggle room on the stats I offer because I don't recall the exact numbers.

Here in Missouri most game was pretty well decimated in the years between the beginning of the Civil War and the mid 1930s. Deer, bear, turkey, and elk were almost extinct (Elk were extinct, and are just now being reintroduced). Ozarkers really were eating possum by 1910 and glad to get it too. I have a recipe in an old cookbook for it ("The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery"). Bear would have been a delicacy if you could find one.

I'm pretty sure that by 1940 there were only about 40 deer in the entire State, half of them were in a herd on private property about 10 miles from where I live, the rest were in a herd up north of Kansas City. It is very likely there were no bear as well, but some did remain in the Ozarks of Arkansas that made it up here.

It's estimated that we have more turkey here now than when europeans arrived. Deer populations are very strong, and bear have indeed made a remarkable come back too since then. Much of the gains have been made in the past 30 years, that is certainly true.

I whole heartedly agree that people need to get on board with population management. We have a very well funded Conservation Dept. here and they promote hunting very heavily. It's generally upper middle class suburbs that border farmland and NF where cries against hunting to thin populations are loudest. They are also the loudest to complain when these animals become a problem for them.

"You want to go where?"

#151159 - 06/06/11 02:15 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: billstephenson]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
First off , I personally have verry little bear expereince. i do hike and fish in a few palces in sc,nc tn mountains with dence populations. i always try to be bear aware and use safe practices.

But often when im hikeing alone. I remeber my grandmother once told me. son it not the bears that you can see you need to be worried about.its the ones you dont. And latter in life we were having a conversation about camping food and i mentiond bearbagging and she went on to say that its not the bear that wants your food you have to worry about its the one that sees you as food. My grandmother was a decendent of cherokee and blackfoot indian tribes that were native to alot of the same areas in which i still hike and fish. And as a child her and her family activly hunted anything that they could eat or trade.

so alot of times i find myself more worried about the bears that are not familar with humans. because i would agree that out of all the different animals. i have harvested as a hunter. a hiker like myself struggleing under a weeks food and gear is going to make for a pretty easy meal to stalk and take down.

i just wish i could figure out a way to get the local turkeys to start carrying packs and hikeing

#151243 - 06/09/11 12:53 AM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: Steadman]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
We had a black bear attack near here recently. A man was walking with his dog. The dog treed a bear cub and mamma bear charged and injured both man and dog.

Howie

#151262 - 06/09/11 12:53 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: Howie]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Mamma bear was probably a pissed-off Canucks fan.

#151282 - 06/09/11 10:36 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: Samoset]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
son it not the bears that you can see you need to be worried about.its the ones you dont.

It's really pretty amazing how accurately that fits the results of the study.

"You want to go where?"

#151283 - 06/09/11 10:38 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: Howie]
billstephenson Offline

Oh... that's not good. I hope both recover. You can't blame the momma bear on that one, and the dog was just doing what dogs do, but I'd bet that dog doesn't mess with any more bears!

"You want to go where?"

#151284 - 06/09/11 11:12 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: OldScout]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
smile

#155673 - 10/11/11 02:03 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: dla]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
dla,

I am in agreement. We have lost hunting pressure on black bears in the last 20 years. There are now habituated bears in the Lake Tahoe Basin that do not hibernate and gain weight on human generated garbage during the winter. Some of these bears are over 500 pounds and have no fear of humans. The problem bears are either killed or airlifted into the mountains behind my house.

My neighbor works on some of the large estates at Tahoe. On the Cal-Neva peninsula there are 8 different bears he sees every week. Last May he was the victim of a predatory charge in broad daylight. No wuffing, no jaw snapping. He just put his head down and charged. My friend made it to his truck with 20 feet to spare.

#156502 - 10/31/11 08:26 AM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: Steadman]
nighttime Offline

If a sow is defending her cubs, she may not eat you. But if the bear is foraging for food, it will keep trailing you and possibly attack and eat you.

#156866 - 11/06/11 12:27 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: nighttime]
ppine Offline

Nightime,

Where are you getting this stuff? She may not eat you?

#157050 - 11/09/11 12:16 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: ppine]
ppine Offline

Nightime,

Seriously, can you describe your source for such information? It is beyond the pale. Recent evidence suggests that some small proportion of black bears view humans as prey. Your arguement seems presumptuous though.

#157054 - 11/09/11 01:04 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: nighttime]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Nighttime, I think we'd all like to see a source for that assertion. There is a lot more folklore than scientific evidence around (including on the internet) about bears. I grew up in Wyoming which teems with the former, so I'm pretty skeptical about anything that doesn't have a scientific source.

#157059 - 11/09/11 01:23 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: nighttime]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By nighttime
If a sow is defending her cubs, she may not eat you. But if the bear is foraging for food, it will keep trailing you and possibly attack and eat you.

Actually, that statement, while vague, is pretty much in alignment with what the study concluded. It is the male bears that will stalk and attack you though, females rarely do that, according to the study, and they rarely kill someone while with their cubs. I'm not sure the males actually eat you though, I don't recall reading that, but I guess they might at least do a taste test.

"You want to go where?"

#157074 - 11/09/11 02:30 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: billstephenson]
ppine Offline

Sometime in the 90s I tried to remember bear encounters, and came up with around 60. There are probably another 30 or so that have left the memory bank. Only 2 or 3 could be construed as possible attackers. Many more were habituated to humans, and tough to deal with.

Really great reading is the book by the Craighead brothers that invented radio collar tracking in Yellowstone and did the first comprehensive studies on grizzlies in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. "Night of the Grizzly". They were drummed out of the corps by the NPS for being too independent in their thinking.

Does any one remeber the days when the bears lined up on the road in Yellowstone and walked past the tent all night? Or how about waiting for the tram in Yosemite in the 70s and seeing 5 bears walk by? I did a job for the NPS once in Yosemite and stayed at Curry Cabins. There was a bear in the unlocked dumpster every morning on the way to breakfast.

#157094 - 11/09/11 04:01 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: ppine]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By ppine
Sometime in the 90s I tried to remember bear encounters, and came up with around 60. There are probably another 30 or so that have left the memory bank. Only 2 or 3 could be construed as possible attackers. Many more were habituated to humans, and tough to deal with....

ppine, did you read the article in the OP? The vast majority (88%) of black bear fatalities were the result of predatory bears

#157218 - 11/11/11 12:47 PM Re: New Black Bear Study Results... [Re: BZH]
ppine Offline

BZH,

Thanks for the redirect. Dr. Herrero is a reputable source for black bear behavior. My neighbor was charged by a bear this spring up at Lake Tahoe while working on a remote estate. The bear did not warn of his intentions by wuffing or snapping his jaws. He circled around the construction site for about 30 minutes, put his shoulder down and charged. My friend made it to his truck with about 25 feet to spare.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum