Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150051 - 05/08/11 03:42 PM Chest Holster
Mr. Fishunt Offline

All,
Please recommend a chest holster that would be comfortable for use while backpacking.
The backpack primarily used is a Gregory Baltoro 75.
The gun primarily carried will be a S & W Mountain Gun .44 mag, 39 oz. 4" barrel. I may also carry a H & K P2000 9mm, so if the straps are universal for various holsters that would be great.
This discussion is regarding chest holsters, not the weight of the gun or carrying guns in the back country.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Edited by Mr. Fishunt (05/08/11 03:43 PM)

#150052 - 05/08/11 03:52 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I am sure this has come up before. Try a search on "holster". It will give you a start on the subject, at least.

#150084 - 05/09/11 12:46 AM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Mr. Fishunt

This discussion is regarding chest holsters, not the weight of the gun or carrying guns in the back country.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Then perhaps your question will get better responses in a gun forum instead of a backpacking forum?

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#150105 - 05/09/11 02:11 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Trailrunner]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It's true that gun forum members would have a lot of experience and a wide variety of opinions about holsters, including chest holsters. But when it comes to the very specific combination of a chest holster and a backpack, he's probably about as likely to get an informed opinion here as he would anywhere else.

We do have a few members here who might know enough to give a very detailed answer -- but not many.

#150123 - 05/09/11 09:38 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Wilderness70 Offline

Have you considered a thigh holster? That's what I use for my 1911. It attaches to your belt and then your thigh, dropping the gun below the waistline (so it doesn't conflict with the waist belt of your backpack).

Chest holsters seem like they wound be uncomfortable, as the straps usually go over one or both shoulders and then come around your side, thus would be sitting underneath your pack straps. That would probably bug me a lot on long hikes.

I don't own a revolver, so I'm not sure what the options are out there for them, but for automatics Blackhawk makes a good product, plus you could probably find a generic nylon thigh holster pretty easily.

Edit: Shot my buddy a text who hikes with a revolver and he said to research the "border patrol" style revolver holster... it sits on your belt but places the gun lower so it won't interfere with your waist belt.

Edited by Whiskeyguy (05/09/11 09:45 PM)

#150125 - 05/10/11 12:50 AM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Trailrunner]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm still wrestling with the six-pound backpack. shocked I'll leave how to pack heat to others, but that pack weight can be cut two-thirds.

Cheers,

#150152 - 05/10/11 06:06 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I usu. carry a .357 and my husband a 40 - chest holsters just don't seem to work for us. Though I usu. have my camera in that general area so that might be why for me. I've ended up hooking my holster to the hip belt.

If my husband takes the shotgun, he has it on a strap so that it hangs, but he can still get to it quickly (without unstrapping it.)

Sorry not much help.

Heather

#150153 - 05/10/11 06:48 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Heather-ak]
cabojohn Offline

newbie to this site...so take that for what its worth. ha
I too carry when I hike / pack...for my application I prefer to carry in a drop leg holster. It works for me. $.02

John

Edited by cabojohn (05/10/11 06:48 PM)

#150161 - 05/11/11 06:48 AM Re: Chest Holster [Re: cabojohn]
wwells Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
I often carry. While I have used several holsters I have, I am not satisfied with any. I am looking into the Safepacker. It looks like it will attach to the pack waist belt, carry in hand, or function as a chest holster. I have not purchased it yet, because it is not made it to the top of my budget list. You might look at it.

#150179 - 05/11/11 04:28 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Consider that just by switching to a lighter weight pack, you could offset the weight of the weapon. Since this is a lightweight backpacking forum, we can't help but suggest that!

I suspect that you are going to have to try various combinations to determine what works best for you as an individual. I would think that the pack's shoulder straps and sternum strap would interfere with the chest holster.

#150194 - 05/11/11 10:53 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: OregonMouse]
Mr. Fishunt Offline

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
As a new member, I've been impressed by the quality of people here.
Oregon, by the way, this is the Backcountry Topics, not the Lightweight Zone.....

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

#150196 - 05/11/11 11:03 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Quote:
Oregon, by the way, this is the Backcountry Topics, not the Lightweight Zone.....

You might want to note that this whole forum is devoted to lightweight backpacking. I don't think that OM's observation was at all out of place.

#150206 - 05/12/11 12:57 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Pika]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
OT here. I was going to post a response similar to yours Pika....until I went back to the TLB home page and found this:

"The Lightweight Backpacker Welcomes You !

If you engage in backpacking, at some point, you may consider packing a lighter load. That consideration was the main reason that Backpacking Lightweight was created in 1996, and it continues to be its primary focus. Since then, however, the Lightweight Backpacking & Hiking website has grown to include a vast repository of resources useful for year-round backcountry safety & enjoyment. While it is true that Backpacking Lightweight promotes ultralight backpacking & hiking, featuring lightweight backpacking equipment, it is a also a proven resource - for all backcountry travelers - for researching and purchasing quality outdoor gear!! We welcome you, and we hope you will enjoy traversing the Lightweight Backpacking & Hiking website."

That paragraph seems to indicate a change in direction to me. TLB seems to have lost its original focus over the 9 years since I joined. It has gone much more mainstream and indeed the content over recent years indicates that. Is this change good or bad? Let the reader decide.

Is a holster question from a guy who wants to carry 3+ pounds of guns and ammo appropriate for this site? That just doesn't seem clear to me any more. I think TLB (which stands for The LIGHWEIGHT Backpacker) is still primarily a lightweight site but it is no longer an exclusively lightweight site.

I for one lament the change in direction.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#150207 - 05/12/11 12:58 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Pika]
Mr. Fishunt Offline

Pika and Oregon,
Thanks for the heads up...
I'm new to the forum and don't want to offend anyone...
As a side bar, I will be carrying some gear for my 100 lb son and, after trying on multiple packs, the Gregory Baltoro 75, not the lightest of the bunch, was the most comfortable.
I'm now thinking about a thigh holster....

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Edited by Mr. Fishunt (05/12/11 12:58 PM)

#150211 - 05/12/11 01:29 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Trailrunner]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I doubt that this change in focus is a bad thing. It is pretty clear that this gang is all about making the load as light as reasonably possible.

A lot of my backpacking has been for purposes other than pure recreation (SAR and archaeology). In both of those applications, you are burdened with "mission critical" gear which weighs just short of a ton, and you must carry it, so you focus on the basics to make your load as light as possible. That is where the expertise displayed here comes in very handy.

Backpacker weights fall along a continuum, from ridiculously light (and probably unsafe) to ridiculously heavy (and therefore just as unsafe, as well as unpleasant). We array ourselves along this continuum, generally getting as light a load as we feel is appropriate. Most of us eschew some lighter options for reasons that are good and sufficient for us, and we hike, usually very happily, with the result.

#150214 - 05/12/11 01:53 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Trailrunner]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Quote:
OT here. I was going to post a response similar to yours Pika....until I went back to the TLB home page and found this:

Hmm, gads, you are right. Sorry all!

#150218 - 05/12/11 02:25 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Pika]
Mr. Fishunt Offline

All,
If it makes you all feel better, based on info here, I purchased an MSR Pocket Rocket, the old Coleman Peak 1 is now delegated to kayak trips...My toothbrush is now a childs size with a shortened handle...I carry out my used TP, etc.......etc....

In closing, the thing I like about this site, so far, is the helpful nature and the CLEAN environment. It's not a litterbox like so many others.
Before you know it, I will be bankrupt, but at least my pack will weigh under 20 lbs! Ha!

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

#150221 - 05/12/11 02:51 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Rick_D Offline

Ya see, that's how it starts around here.

Quote:
Follow the swinging watch while you listen to the voice: "You can replace that with something half the weight...you can leave that at home...down is king...silnylon was originally angel wings...".

Next thing you know, you have to strap your pack double tight to keep it from floating off.

Cheers,

All,
If it makes you all feel better, based on info here, I purchased an MSR Pocket Rocket, the old Coleman Peak 1 is now delegated to kayak trips...My toothbrush is now a childs size with a shortened handle...I carry out my used TP, etc.......etc....

In closing, the thing I like about this site, so far, is the helpful nature and the CLEAN environment. It's not a litterbox like so many others.
Before you know it, I will be bankrupt, but at least my pack will weigh under 20 lbs! Ha!

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

#150223 - 05/12/11 03:09 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Trailrunner]
Rick_D Offline

"Back in the day" I followed Charles' original site and the original Backpacker mag site. The two couldn't have been more different WRT gear and the general concept of going farther with less. Jardine dropped into the mix sometime back then as well, which was a good thing because most very light gear had to be self-made and he was an early proponant of doing just that.

At the time, the Dana Bridger was a lightweight pack, a Primus titanium stove was $250 and LED flashlights hadn't even been imagined.

I think lightweight is reasonably mainstream now (and the gear is easy to find and mostly cheap) while ultralite remains pretty fringy. PCT and AT thruhikes are commonplace so Skurka has to run laps around Alaska to get anybody's attention. Lightweight techniques and gear make that all possible.

I guess I don't have a point, other than I think understand how this site's unique status has diminished with time due to becoming mainstream. Charles was just right sooner than most folks.

Today, our attention might be best focused on protecting the backcountry we so enjoy from those who would spoil it or even take it away. I'll reserve my right to make fun of folks lugging five-pound sleeping bags in summer, though. smile

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Trailrunner

If you engage in backpacking, at some point, you may consider packing a lighter load. That consideration was the main reason that Backpacking Lightweight was created in 1996, and it continues to be its primary focus. Since then, however, the Lightweight Backpacking & Hiking website has grown to include a vast repository of resources useful for year-round backcountry safety & enjoyment. While it is true that Backpacking Lightweight promotes ultralight backpacking & hiking, featuring lightweight backpacking equipment, it is a also a proven resource - for all backcountry travelers - for researching and purchasing quality outdoor gear!! We welcome you, and we hope you will enjoy traversing the Lightweight Backpacking & Hiking website."

That paragraph seems to indicate a change in direction to me. TLB seems to have lost its original focus over the 9 years since I joined. It has gone much more mainstream and indeed the content over recent years indicates that. Is this change good or bad? Let the reader decide.

Is a holster question from a guy who wants to carry 3+ pounds of guns and ammo appropriate for this site? That just doesn't seem clear to me any more. I think TLB (which stands for The LIGHWEIGHT Backpacker) is still primarily a lightweight site but it is no longer an exclusively lightweight site.

I for one lament the change in direction.

#150225 - 05/12/11 03:33 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I haven't seen the direction change since I stumbled on this site in late 2005 and was able to cut my pack weight by more than half. By early 2006 I was ready to go with 19-20 lbs. total pack weight (instead of 40) for a 2-3 day trip. Since then my base weight (pack weight without fuel, food, water) has dropped from 15 lbs. (the goal in the articles on the home page of this site) to 12 lbs. It won't go any farther because there are some creature comforts (such as a nice cushy warm sleeping pad and a 20* sleeping bag) that I refuse to give up.

It appears that this site has always been more about lightweight rather than ultralight backpacking. Folks who are really into the latter (especially those trying to get their base weight under what appears to be a magic number of 5 lbs.) tend to gravitate to the Backpacking Light site. There are a number of us here (including me) who are on that site too, but I far prefer life over here where I don't have people lecturing me that I should eschew toilet paper in favor pine cones and rocks, or that I should always keep hiking until bedtime instead of stopping in late afternoon. There is also a lot of flaming on that site which we try to avoid (and mostly succeed) here.

We have a number of hunters on this site who are also lightweight backpackers. Most of them have been here longer than I have!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/12/11 06:07 PM)

#150229 - 05/12/11 06:39 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
jwild Offline

Pika and Oregon,
Thanks for the heads up...
I'm new to the forum and don't want to offend anyone...
As a side bar, I will be carrying some gear for my 100 lb son and, after trying on multiple packs, the Gregory Baltoro 75, not the lightest of the bunch, was the most comfortable.
I'm now thinking about a thigh holster....

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

I agree, the Baltoro is my "other" pack and I bought it because of its comfort, which for me is the reason why I try to go as light as possible. Lightweight backpacking I assume began out of the need to be comfortable while hiking, if 20 pounds is uncomfortable to someone, by all means go lighter, but if 28 pounds if comfortable for someone then heck do what you do
The baltoro is almost 6 pounds BUT i think 3 of those pounds are padding grin lol
***I would rather have a 6 pound extremely comfy pack with 14 pounds of gear than a 2 pound pack thats iffy and 16 pounds of gear or even the original 14 pounds. I think i tried on close to 100 packs before buying my Baltoro
I also sometimes carry others gear because I can do so while maintaining comfortably (is that a word?)

#150232 - 05/12/11 09:28 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: jwild]
Wilderness70 Offline

I'm by no means a lightweight backpacker by the standards of many here (I average between 40-45 lbs) but I do think one thing most member have in common is an interest in a lighter pack, even if it's not an ultralight one. Personally I prefer to be overly prepared and comfortable at the cost of more weight... just my preference. This includes packing (when legal) my .45 handgun at an additional 3.83 lbs. However, after decided on what types of gear I want to take, I do strive to find lighter options. I think there are plenty of people on this site to offer advice for both schools of thought when it comes to backpacking.

#150242 - 05/13/11 08:37 AM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Trailrunner]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:

When I joined this forum in 2002, we were still talking about cutting labels out of clothing and the handles off tooth brushes. grin Guns came up a couple times a year but lighter options were discussed. Let the reader decide? I decide to lighten my load. Remove all unnecessary screws and springs, and every other bullet from your clip. Drill lots of holes. grin Or carry a Ruger LCP or NA Black Widow in your pocket...unless bear is your worry.

#150291 - 05/14/11 01:39 AM Re: Chest Holster [Re: Dryer]
lv2fsh Offline

Loc: socal
My hiking pistol of choice lately is my SW 340pd. .357 mag 5 shot two inch. weight= 12 oz. Kicks like a mule but it's light. Carry it in a nylon holster or in s pocket.

#150314 - 05/14/11 10:00 PM Re: Chest Holster [Re: lv2fsh]
Rayman1968 Offline

Loc: Ventura, CA.
Originally Posted By lv2fsh
My hiking pistol of choice lately is my SW 340pd. .357 mag 5 shot two inch. weight= 12 oz. Kicks like a mule but it's light. Carry it in a nylon holster or in s pocket.

What rounds do you load it with? I've heard that firing .357s out of that little baby are no fun at all...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum