Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149976 - 05/06/11 08:18 PM 5 minute rice
NYbackpacker Offline

I bought a box of 5 minute rice from the supermarket to make on the trail. Iv tested it at home and the plain white rice is not bad at all. Not wanted to just eat the plain rice though i tried to spice it up. All of my trials have tasted awful using spice packets such as thai seasoning and a fried rice recipe.

Anyone have and good tasting easy recipes for instant rice?

much appreciated, NYB

#149977 - 05/06/11 08:45 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: NYbackpacker]
mrbieven Offline

Pizza sauce. Peporoni. Cheese

#149978 - 05/06/11 09:04 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: NYbackpacker]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Haven't done it for years, but I used to use one of those small cans of chicken and a pouch of instant gravy mix (chicken, probably; I really can't remember for sure.) Now, if I were to do it, I'd probably use a pouch of chicken instead of a can.

In fact, if I were to do it now, I'd probably get one of those Knorr (formerly Lipton) "side dish" rice packets and add the pouch of chicken after I brought it to a boil. It's just simpler than the separate rice and gravy mix process.

(I use freeze-dried meals now, and let them rehydrate in the pouch.)

#149979 - 05/06/11 09:19 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I'd put a good Mexican hot sauce (not tabasco) on the rice. But then I put hot sauce on everything except chocolate ice cream and tea...

#149983 - 05/07/11 01:13 AM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: oldranger]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
3oz can of chicken, some pepperoni, 1/4 to 1/2 a cube of knorr tomato bouillion and optional dried onions and green peppers will make a decent jambalaya. or check out Trailcooking.com

#149987 - 05/07/11 03:51 AM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: thecook]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Instant soup.
I do it with indian curry soup, just enough water to get a creamy, not too liquid mix.
Or minestrone, chinese, chorba, etc...mix.
It hase to be a "strong" flavoured soup.
Surprisingly, it was very tasty with creamy asparagus soup too.

#149990 - 05/07/11 09:29 AM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: NYbackpacker]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Take soy sauce packs. Can't go wrong with those!

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#149996 - 05/07/11 11:13 AM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: NYbackpacker]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
In college, I nearly lived on "instant rice" with bouillion cubes. Try adding a bit of ginger and garlic to brighten up the taste. Some dry parsley or sun-dried tomatoes are other store shelf staples can add bulk and nutrition. Some stores will also have dried mushrooms and peppers. (Be sure to read the labels to determine which need rinsing and cooking.) The instant soups can work well, too.

I've used a can of Bumble Bee Thai Chili tuna with couscous and a packet of spicy (Thai?) chicken soup and some parsley. It should work just as well with instant rice.

CamperMom

#150009 - 05/07/11 06:53 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: CamperMom]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
1 TBS good fresh Horseradish, 2 TBS Texas pete hotsauce and Minced dried Jalopino peppers! Dried Mushrooms if ya got em and sweet peppers dried.

#150021 - 05/07/11 11:54 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: Kent W]
NYbackpacker Offline

thanks for the awesome recipes so far guys! Iv got a lot of testing to do now smile

#150061 - 05/08/11 07:50 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: NYbackpacker]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
And if your rice is every soggy (say you use too much water) just add a bunch of shelf stable Parmesan cheese in. IMO, I happen to love white rice, butter powder, a drizzle of oil, Parmesan cheese, pepper and maybe some freeze-dried peas when I want comfort food. Add chicken for protein if desired smile

#151285 - 06/10/11 12:16 AM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: NYbackpacker]
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
on a weeklong trip at least 2 of my meals are boil-in-bag rice,packet of Starkist Sweet & Spicey Tuna, then usually add Rooster Sauce aka Sriracha to taste. Makes a decent tasting, no fuss, large portion meal.

#151367 - 06/11/11 09:42 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: Narf]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
My favorite is essentially the same as Sarbar.

One serving of Minute Rice (there are several that will work), one packet of Cream of Mushroom Cup-a-Soup, some freeze-dried peas (not the supermarket dried ones -- unless you want to soak them all day in your water bottle) and a 3-oz pouch of tuna (there's more nutrition in the oil packed ones). Sometimes I dust the top with crushed crackers and maybe a little of the shelf-stable powdered cheese (your choice of flavor). This works well with olive oil, protein powder and/or nuts for added nutrition. Also, a small handful of the oriental dried mushrooms weighs nothing, adds no nutrition, but tastes glorious.

Incidentally, like others here, I'm not really a big fan of instant rice, so if I have time and fuel, I'll take just plain ordinary white rice. If you will bring it to a boil in broth, and boil rapidly for just one minute, you can put the pot aside and the rice will be fully cooked in just a few minutes (never actually timed it, just checked to see when all the broth is absorbed). I don't have any explanation for why this works, but I sometimes use this method at home as well.

Another recipe I like is Spanish rice. Half a cup of Minute rice, two tbls of freeze-dried pepper flakes, a pkg of tomato
Cup-a-Soup, one tbls of bacon bits, one Slim Jim sliced thin, one tbls of freeze-dried onion flakes, salt and pepper (go easy) one tbls of chilli powder, and one of protien powder. This is good with added cashews and/or olive oil for even more nutrition, and for more bulk, just increase the rice.

Best, jcp

#152704 - 07/15/11 01:05 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: JPete]
Jeff Offline

Loc: Nevada
My favorite rice is to fully cook brown rice at home and then dry it. I actually over cook is a little bit at home before putting it in the dehydrator. This helps with the rehydration. I mostly use it with small flakes of home dried chicken and extra home dried vegetables added to a soup mix. I dry enough for several dinners and use a scale to divide all the ingredients into one bag for each meal.

At camp bring it to a full boil for a couple of minutes and then put the pot in a cozy for 20-25 minutes until everything has soaked up the water. When it is ready it is quite tasty.

We gave up on prepackaged freeze dried meals about 10 years ago. We either dry our own dinners or go stoveless and just snack on cold stuff as we hike down the trail.

#152793 - 07/18/11 01:49 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: oldranger]
mana Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
I'd put a good Mexican hot sauce (not tabasco) on the rice. But then I put hot sauce on everything except chocolate ice cream and tea...

AGREED!

#152943 - 07/21/11 12:23 PM Re: 5 minute rice [Re: mana]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
In the vein of putting something spicy on the rice, I am partial to Sriracha (Thai) Chili Sauce. But good Mexican hot sauce is right up there as well.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum