Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149842 - 05/02/11 03:45 PM Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question
Mr. Fishunt Offline

Hypothetical situation/question:
You are hiking on a 6 mile trail heading to your reserved campsite in grizzly country .
It is 2 hours before sunset. You are can't make it back to your starting point before sunset.
A grizzly bear appears in thick brush 200 yards ahead of you on the trail. The bear stops on the trail and look back at you and your group of four hikers. The bear then disappears into the brush.
What do you do? Do you proceed? Do you retreat and set up camp elsewhere?

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

#149843 - 05/02/11 04:03 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I personally would continue on to my camping space and use the "encounter" as a reminder on why I have to keep to the whole "bear routine." (bear canister, talking while on trail to alert bear and moose I'm around, no food or smelly items in camp.)

Just because you don't normally see bears, doesn't mean they don't see you.

#149848 - 05/02/11 05:49 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I'm not sure why you would stop or turn around because you saw a bear in "bear country". I agree with Heather. Proceed to camp while making your presence known. Why be afraid of a bear that saw you? Its the bear that doesn't see you (until you are standing between her and her cub) that you should be concerned about.

#149850 - 05/02/11 06:08 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
twinmike Offline

Loc: Holbrook, AZ.
I have a little experience on this issue with brown bears. I agree to wait till the bear wanders off and then proceed. By Mistake, I was walking quietly on a trail and suddenly came up on a bear feeding, both of us where startled. She rose up on hind legs(or he-I did not take the time to look) after a moment relaxed and wandered off. Now I carry a tiny bell hanging next to cooking pot on the back on my pack. Bought it at Hobby Lobby. My second mistake was I did not tie my pack up the tree far enough one evening. A small bear found it and I watched with my flashlite as the bear ripped that bag to shreds looking for food. And I was not about to go and argue with the bear. I let my presences be known but not make a whole lot of noise, because running away in the dark night did not seem like a good thing to do.

#149851 - 05/02/11 07:09 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Mr. Fishunt

What do you do? Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

I take satisfaction in the fact that I only hike with people I who can outrun. I don't have to outrun the bear, just them. laugh

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#149864 - 05/03/11 08:50 AM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Mr. Fishunt
Hypothetical situation/question:
You are hiking on a 6 mile trail heading to your reserved campsite in grizzly country .
It is 2 hours before sunset. You are can't make it back to your starting point before sunset.
A grizzly bear appears in thick brush 200 yards ahead of you on the trail. The bear stops on the trail and look back at you and your group of four hikers. The bear then disappears into the brush.
What do you do? Do you proceed? Do you retreat and set up camp elsewhere?

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

For me, not hypothetical at all. although the campsite wasn't "reserved", I think it was something like 13 miles, not 6, and the bear was more like about 75 yards, not 200 smile I did probably
have about 4 hours till sunset though.

At least in my case, the bear left the trail and headed into the bush. I stood where I was and yipped and talked for a good while (about 20 minutes) and proceeded down the trail. While it was pretty obvious the bear left the trail and wanted to avoid me, don't kid yourself, I was "concerned" although it wasn't in restrospect all that scary an encounter, as it was pretty clear he wanted nothing to do with me.

I have had a grizzly circle around behind me to get a smell of me when I've seen them upwind of me first (and been mostly hidden, because I was hunting). That was a bit scary (I was 14, and pretty much freaked out by that wink

I've seen grizzly at around 200 yards a lot - usually wanting to get away from me as fast as possible.

Want more concerning? get where you see mr griz oh, 300, 400 yards away walking down the trail towards you.. and he/she does *not* want to leave the trail. you make noise, etc. etc. hoot, holler, and the bear just keeps ambling on. then you're in a situation where *you* leave the trail and leave it to the bear. that's, well, "exciting".

Edited by phat (05/03/11 09:00 AM)
Browse my pictures

#149865 - 05/03/11 09:08 AM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Trailrunner]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
fact that I only hike with people I who can outrun. I don't have to outrun the bear, just them. laugh

Yeah, well, I think I'm the guy people take along to outrun wink

Browse my pictures

#149872 - 05/03/11 10:12 AM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
lori Offline

Brown bear?

I'd turn to the guy carrying the large gauge rifle and say, what do you think? Warning shot?

Actually, I'd follow the protocols for the area - whatever they are. Probably talk and sing, walk with my group, start looking at trees with branches I can reach...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#149878 - 05/03/11 02:47 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I don't believe I miss having those kinds of encounters. Shoot, I even try to avoid them hypothetically laugh

Edited by billstephenson (05/03/11 03:20 PM)
Edit Reason: I think my teachers used to call it a "double negative"

"You want to go where?"

#149891 - 05/03/11 05:43 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Bear behavior changes from location to location, season to season and year to year depending on lots of different factors. If you are going to be hiking in bear country take the time to talk to biologists in the area to find out what kind of year they are having. If it is really early in the season they are just coming out of hibernation and eating a more vegetarian diet generally, but once they have been out of their dens for a few weeks their appetite starts to gear up and they may become more aggressive over a kill, or more assertive toward easy pickings. If food is on time and abundant they tend to be a little more laid back, but if their traditional food sources are late even by as little as a week, they can get really grumpy.

Bottom line, if you aren't used to hiking in bear country take the time to do your homework and learn as much as you can about the behavior of the bears that inhabit the area.

#149912 - 05/04/11 11:35 AM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
My first thought is that your safety trumps silly "reserved" camping regulations. I have encountered this situation with brown bears. I simply continue a mile or so farther. In Yosemite you really do not want to camp in the known vacinity of bears. It is a sure be they will come around at night and disturb you. Even though I camp "bear safe" I am not one who can sleep well with a bear wandering around my tent and grunting. Each situation is different. Is the bear curious, hungry, territorial, or protecting young? MS is correct - you need to get educated from those who know.

#149914 - 05/04/11 11:45 AM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: wandering_daisy]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
My first thought is that your safety trumps silly "reserved" camping regulations.

Any reasonable ranger would agree heartily with you. Of course, you do encounter unreasonable rangers from time to time, but they are way in the minority....

#150088 - 05/09/11 03:05 AM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: oldranger]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I solved the bear problem in Yosemite by only going there in the dead of winter. Haven't seen one yet, except in the video they played at the check in desk at Curry Village a while back-if I remember right, the video shows a bear breaking into an old Toyota in the parking lot (a little demo set up by the Park Service). Very entertaining.

#150478 - 05/17/11 01:27 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: TomD]
canadianmtngirl Offline

My hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question is dependent on the group size. If I were with a group of 4, like you mentioned, I would probably carry on as planned. If I were by myself or with only one other person, I would reconsider and find another place to camp.

I think that with enough experience, you can kind of gauge the bear's reaction too. If it tears off right away at full speed, I would feel better about camping there than if it is curious and kind of sniffs around a bit.

(By the way, I'm new here, so HI! everyone)

#150480 - 05/17/11 01:46 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: canadianmtngirl]
wandering_daisy Offline

Welcome to the forum. I encounter a lot of bears, but never have had to encounter a Grizzly. I must say I am freaked out in Grizzly country and probably would never hike alone up there in Canada.

#150486 - 05/17/11 03:03 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: wandering_daisy]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
In Yosemite you really do not want to camp in the known vacinity of bears.

And where in Yosemite are there no bears, except in the dead of winter???

#150492 - 05/17/11 04:05 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: OldScout]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Lower Cathedral Spire? Royal Arches?

#150500 - 05/17/11 05:57 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: oldranger]
wandering_daisy Offline

I know bears are in the vacinity when I see fresh bear poo! There are lots of places up high in Yosemite where I would not expect to see bears- such as the off-trail, above-timber, upper Lyell Fork of the Merced, right up against Mt. Lyell. Headwaters of Hutchins Creek. Alger Lakes. McClure Lake. Edna Lake. Shepherd Lake. Soldier Lake. Much of the very high country is not bear habitat. Not that you may not ever see a bear, but regular bear encounters are not expected.

#150509 - 05/17/11 07:49 PM Re: Bear Safety - Hypothetical Question [Re: wandering_daisy]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I went to a few "what to do if you encounter a bear" sessions when I first moved to Alaska. Oddly enough, up here they seem to be more concerned with Black Bears than Grizzleys. I got the feeling that more "predator-ization" happened with BBs versus Griz (where they hunt you!)

I'm still more scared of Moose than Bears...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum