Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149335 - 04/18/11 10:52 AM Doing your doody
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was out this weekend, and while pondering the mysteries of the world while perched on a log, became curious about something.

For years and years, I've doody-fully dug catholes and buried my waste, as everyone recommends. (Remember, I'm hiking in the Ohio River valley, so we're talking forests and deep soil, not fragile alpine environments.)

But it occurred to me this weekend that mammals much larger than me (deer, moose, ponies, and bear, to name a few) never bother with such niceties. That got me to wondering why it's necessary for us to bury ours. (I'm not talking about toilet paper; if not buried, it needs to be burned or carried out. I'm not advocating leaving "mine fields" complete with little toilet paper flags.)

I've got a couple of ideas of my own, but I'm just curious about everyone elses thoughts as to why this is necessary. (I'm also not advocating a change in policy - just running down a random thought.)

#149336 - 04/18/11 11:55 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Aesthetics, if nothing else. Plus human patterns of use tend to be relatively highly concentrated, and the wastes contain bad things specific for humans, unlike a lot of the stuff deposited by critters.

Finding bear scat can be interesting - a bit of a window into the wilderness. Human feces - not so much.

I must add as an archaeologist, fortunate enough to have dug in the arid Southwest, I can assure you that in a dry cave environment, human waste lasts forever (forever=at least 1000 years). Now that is interesting "stuff'" and indeed it does inform us of many aspects of life during those times.

So the next time you do your doody, think of the historical implications (especially if you are making your deposit in a dry cave).

#149337 - 04/18/11 12:21 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: oldranger]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By oldranger
Aesthetics,
So the next time you do your doody, think of the historical implications (especially if you are making your deposit in a dry cave).

So you are saying that we should find a dry cave for historical reasons? happy

Seriously. In the book "How to S**** in the Woods" she actually reccomends that it remain exposed to air instead of being buried. The reasoning being that it decomposes faster. Obviously this depends on climatic and usage area. Someplace where folks are not likely to come in contact for years is different than someplace where there is regular traffic.

#149338 - 04/18/11 12:32 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

Gee, I never thought of it as "writing my memoirs" - you've given me an alternative to saying, "I'm going to go make a geocache." grin

I hadn't really thought about the archaeological aspects; that really is interesting. In my neck of the woods, no one I know would ever use a cave - logs are plentiful, and the ground behind them is rich, loose, and easy to dig in.

#149339 - 04/18/11 12:35 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: GrumpyGord]
Glenn Offline

Based on what I've seen, "someplace where folks are not likely to come in contact for years" is pretty much anywhere 100 feet off the trail - or anyplace where you can't see the trail. Most of the masses aren't real comfortable moving out of sight of the trail - I've had to avert my eyes once or twice while walking along.

#149342 - 04/18/11 01:28 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: GrumpyGord]
oldranger Offline

The drier the cave, the longer your record will be available for future researchers.....

Actually, isn't this just one more aspect of the human impact when we cluster together in large numbers - like in Yosemite Valley or the Mt Whitney trail? If we disperse ourselves across the landscape, the problem would be less severe...

Of course, Ohio probably has no such thing as a dry cave (I would love to be wrong about that, though).

#149346 - 04/18/11 02:54 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

No, you're pretty much right. In fact, if you exclude Mammoth Cave NP, we don't have a lot of real "caves" in our hiking areas - they're mostly in the nature of scooped-out, open-front rock shelters, eroded by wind (mostly) and water (somewhat) back into a cliff.

They're usually damp, and dank, and really not very pleasant to camp in - unless you're 22, a mile from the parking lot, and alcohol is involved.

#149349 - 04/18/11 04:26 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Rock shelters in the Southwest tend to be dry, well ventilated, and sheltered from weather - altogether superb campsites. The shelter that held the pueblo with all the good poop got early morning sun (the better to warm you up) but about noon the shade began to increase. By the time we left in the afternoon, the entire site was pleasant and cool - a stark contrast to our trailers back at headquarters which were baking in the sun.

We survived a lot of rain storms without getting even remotely damp. On one January visit to the site, I noticed areas where green grass was already growing - an indication that sunlight was reflecting off the walls of the shelter and providing a warm microenvironment - something of great value to farming people.

Edited by oldranger (04/18/11 04:27 PM)

#149361 - 04/18/11 09:31 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Much of my outdoor scatological activity is based on the revelations in this book

Like anything else it depends on the circumstances. If I'm way off trail in a dry environment I prefer the "frosting" method for reasons stated in the book.

Caution: Clicking on the link will reveal a naughty word. Don't be misled by the title, it's a serious book.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#149383 - 04/19/11 11:50 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Trailrunner]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Remind me to be careful where I put my hands next time I do a desert trek eek . Interesting looking book tho...

#149394 - 04/19/11 02:20 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

You always want to be careful of your hand placement, especially, but not exclusively, in the desert...

#149487 - 04/22/11 11:34 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Glenn
I was out this weekend, and while pondering the mysteries of the world while perched on a log, became curious about something.

For years and years, I've doody-fully dug catholes and buried my waste, as everyone recommends. (Remember, I'm hiking in the Ohio River valley, so we're talking forests and deep soil, not fragile alpine environments.)

But it occurred to me this weekend that mammals much larger than me (deer, moose, ponies, and bear, to name a few) never bother with such niceties. That got me to wondering why it's necessary for us to bury ours. (I'm not talking about toilet paper; if not buried, it needs to be burned or carried out. I'm not advocating leaving "mine fields" complete with little toilet paper flags.)

I've got a couple of ideas of my own, but I'm just curious about everyone elses thoughts as to why this is necessary. (I'm also not advocating a change in policy - just running down a random thought.)

Most of the time it's because there are just too many of us, and we tend to do this near where we camp.

if you're camping somewhere other people camp, it's probably an issue - or near a trail lots of people travel.

When I am out in the alpine and exposed away from anyone (where there aren't likely to be other people) I don't bury. I leave it exposed on a rock, and I burn my toilet paper.

On the other hand believe me - nothing's nastier than crawling over a log and
finding an enormous place wheere someone had an urge to purge and left it. (in the middle of west coast trail). or my other personal "favorite" - 10 feet away from the only water source in a 20 km stretch of trail in tasmanina..

If it's really an issue, then it goes into a double ziploc and gets packed out.

So the short answer is - "it depends on where you are". and can often be figured with some common sense, which is unfortunately a lot rarer than you might think.

Browse my pictures

#149492 - 04/22/11 02:42 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: phat]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
The biggest reason to bury it would be because of flies which lay their eggs in the stuff and then transport the bacteria to other places such as food. It is a good way to get dysentery in my estimation. The army practices "cat sanitation" when there is no latrine available. Latrines are to be insect proof and located 200 yards away from the kitchen.

Howie

#149494 - 04/22/11 04:52 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
If you don't bury it somebodies dog will eat it. sick

#149497 - 04/22/11 06:15 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Resulting in sick dog and big vet bills. Speaking of which, how is your dog doing, Jim?

The idea of people not burying human poo is, to say the least, nauseating!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/22/11 06:16 PM)

#149498 - 04/22/11 07:00 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That's a good point.

You can't dig to deep here in most places, but you can usually dig far enough to cover it, and I don't think that'd slow down the decomposing of the stuff much here, but, it probably wouldn't deter a determined dog either.

As for me, I always walk at least 100 yards from trails, campsites and streams, and as I was pondering Jim and OM's comments my first thought was there wouldn't be any dogs around where I go, so I'm good, but then I considered how my dogs hike with me, and when not on a leash they cover ten times as much ground as I do and follow up on everything they catch a whiff of, so, while I may be "Good" some of the time, that can't be true all of the time.

That said, I don't think you can stop a dog from doing that unless they are constantly constrained.

My neighbor, who didn't bury his stuff, did his business early one morning and then hiked about two miles to his spot to hunt deer. On the way back he did a wide loop around, bushwhacking the entire way, and about 50 ft from his deer camp his shoe made a direct landing in the middle of his earlier business. Everyone in the camp was sitting there watching him when he did that, and that tale gets repeated often by the witnesses when they talk about him, or the risk of deer hunting in general. That alone is a good enough lesson for me about why burying your stuff is a good idea laugh

"You want to go where?"

#149499 - 04/22/11 07:14 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: billstephenson]

Quote:
about 50 ft from his deer camp his shoe made a direct landing in the middle of his earlier business.

lol

#149509 - 04/22/11 11:54 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

The idea of people not burying human poo is, to say the least, nauseating!

and where there's a bacteriologial layer and it'll decompose, I do that. but waay up in the alpine here, where it barely thaws, if I put it under a rock, that turd is still there 10 years from now..

You want nauseating? turn over a rock and find a couple of them smile

That's why up *here* - where I know the stuff isn't going to decompose under a rock, or buried, I leave it exposed.

I've come back to places where I've done this, and it's *gone*.

Browse my pictures

#149538 - 04/23/11 11:17 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: phat]
footmobile Offline

I also look at it for the viewpoint of what we eat. We tend not to eat natural foods and of waste never becomes part of the environment. A deer or a bear on the other hand eats the food that grows in the area the dump in.
Our crap probably has the same shelf life as that twinkie that you just ate.

#149542 - 04/24/11 01:13 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: footmobile]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
In the army we used to mark the date on which we filled in a latrine. I believe that after five years they could use the same ground again, hence the reason for the date marking.

Howie

#149814 - 05/01/11 06:19 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Howie]
Mr. Fishunt Offline

A bolt on question....
It is a rule in Glacier National Park to use a cat hole and to carry out your used toilet paper.
I find it hard to comprehend that anyone would actually comply with that rule.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

#149820 - 05/01/11 08:37 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
That was required on Oahu as well... all the natural areas there feed the drinking water supply, erosion is an issue, and so is high use/traffic.

I follow that rule on the AT as well. High traffic as well, and I don't figure anyone wants to find little TP flags sticking up from a cat hole (a SGT that worked for me described the training areas in Fort Lewis that way sick.

This is pretty easy to do with a three bag system:

1 1 gallon zip lock bag for the used TP/wipes
1 1 gallon zip lock bag for the yet to be used TP/wipes
1 1 gallon zip lock bag to hold the other two, and to make it easy to bring with you.

A lot cleaner than changing a diaper.

Oh... and the reason you comply is that it is one of the stipulations you agree to in order to use an area that all of us own. Call it a "public good" thing. wink

#149827 - 05/01/11 11:09 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
oldranger Offline

That's OK - there are plenty of places other than Glacier where that rule/custom is not in place. If you do go to Glacier, please play nice...

Heavy, concentrated usage requires practices different from less frequented areas.

#149830 - 05/02/11 12:40 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I always carry out my paper these days no matter where I am. I burn it if I have a fire but that's rare.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#149838 - 05/02/11 02:17 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Trailrunner]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I'm not roasting marshmellows over THAT fire!!

#149840 - 05/02/11 02:41 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Mr. Fishunt]
lori Offline

It's also the rule in Yosemite. There are a lot of reasons to comply with it regardless of the ick factor.

I comply with it in the best interests of sanitation and health. Waterways in Yosemite test positive for e coli, and 10-15 feet off the sides of the heaviest use trails, you are surrounded by the toilet paper of 10,000,000 tourists who have gone before.

If you are using toilet paper you buy in the grocery store, that's not really paper - it's cotton fabric. It doesn't biodegrade well at all without all the chemistry they use in sewage treatment. For paper that's easier on the environment get toilet paper designed for RVs or specifically for backpacking.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#149841 - 05/02/11 02:55 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Very enlightening - I didn't realize that household TP was a different composition; I'll start checking from now on. Thanks for the info, Lori.

#149855 - 05/02/11 08:18 PM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]

Unfortunately, the cathole contents often get dug up, with the consequences of TP "flowers" littering the landscape. Nobody likes to see those!

As a "freezer bag cooking" enthusiast, I have plenty of dirty plastic bags in which to pack out the TP. It's not a big deal!

#150293 - 05/14/11 02:57 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: lori]
jwild Offline

Originally Posted By lori

If you are using toilet paper you buy in the grocery store, that's not really paper - it's cotton fabric. It doesn't biodegrade well at all without all the chemistry they use in sewage treatment.

A lot of toilet paper does not use cotton, cotton is also a cellulose based material so it should break down ok right? ehh i hate seeing mounds of toilet paper near a trail. some of the coolest things I find (for example a real broke down old log cabin) are when hiking way back to do dooty.

#169136 - 09/08/12 07:52 AM Re: Doing your doody [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I was looking through some old threads and found this one.

The reason is biblically commanded:

"Deu 23:13 And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee: "

Glenn,

Your comment about making a geocache was great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum