Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147974 - 03/18/11 06:20 PM A bad taste in my mouth
ahawks Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT
I received a Platypus Big Zip hydration bladder for Christmas and I was really excited because of all of the features it has. The first time I used it I didn't wash it out all that well and noticed almost instantly that there was a pretty bad taste to it. Thinking that it just needed a thorough washing I took it home and used soap and water and thought I did a pretty good job. Used it again and it still has a really bad plastic taste. It seems like it comes from the mouth piece and kind of goes away when its really cold (I used it while x-country skiing last). I thought the Platypus bladders weren't supposed to have any bad taste, did I just get a bad one or is it just something that is inherent of all bladders or is there a way to get rid of the taste?
Thanks in advance!

#147975 - 03/18/11 06:37 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: ahawks]
lori Offline

I wonder if they changed the way they make them or something. None of my Platys have imparted any flavor to any of my water. I have a Big Zip that's a couple years old.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147976 - 03/18/11 06:59 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: ahawks]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Speculation on my part but I find that the hose, rather than the bladder usually is to blame. Try filling the bladder, letting it sit and then drinking straight from the opening without the hose. If no "flavor" then the hose is your culprit.

If it's the container, I'd return for an exchange. CD is pretty adament the Platys don't flavor the water and I'd agree, from the several I've owned. Now the Dromedary bags are another story.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By ahawks
I received a Platypus Big Zip hydration bladder for Christmas and I was really excited because of all of the features it has. The first time I used it I didn't wash it out all that well and noticed almost instantly that there was a pretty bad taste to it. Thinking that it just needed a thorough washing I took it home and used soap and water and thought I did a pretty good job. Used it again and it still has a really bad plastic taste. It seems like it comes from the mouth piece and kind of goes away when its really cold (I used it while x-country skiing last). I thought the Platypus bladders weren't supposed to have any bad taste, did I just get a bad one or is it just something that is inherent of all bladders or is there a way to get rid of the taste?
Thanks in advance!

#147977 - 03/18/11 07:06 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: ahawks]
jpersonna Offline

I've been using a ~2L platypus mountain biking and hiking for years. Wore one out, and felt that after a couple hundred rides I shouldn't bother them about the lifetime guarantee.

My experience is that if you only use water, rinse and drain within 24 hours, you're golden.

I've gotten one slightly funky and been ok with a strong salt water wash.

I got one funkier than that and had to use dish soap, and then the salt water.

Other than that, it's my ritual to suck and spit three times at the start of a ride or hike. If there's a plastic taste, that's when I taste it.

Edited by jpersonna (03/18/11 07:09 PM)

#148042 - 03/20/11 09:16 AM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: jpersonna]
jpersonna Offline

It occurs to me now that my extra cleaning efforts were on my Gregory bladder and not my Platypus. Sorry. The P has been easier to maintain.

#148043 - 03/20/11 09:50 AM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: jpersonna]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
My son used his Platy Last week for the first time. Same problem. I tried it and I think the bad taste comes from the bite valve. It Is Nasty! I hope it gets better or it needs to go in the Garbage!

#148122 - 03/21/11 08:35 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: ahawks]
Jmeyers Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
I've never had a problem with my Platy. It could be stale water in the hose maybe but it wouldn't explain the plastic taste.

Just in case, what you can do is detach the hose and spin it rapidly. This will cause the water in the hose to fly out.

#148123 - 03/21/11 09:41 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: Jmeyers]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
It wasnt stale water in our case. Water hadnt been in there a couple hours and was cool.

#148137 - 03/22/11 12:01 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: Kent W]
jpersonna Offline

I hope it gets better with use. Rinse well, including mouthpiece, keep dry until next use, over-fill, let some drain through the mouth piece, and of course suck-spit three times at the base of the trail, as a ritual.

#149200 - 04/13/11 07:34 PM Re: A bad taste in my mouth [Re: jpersonna]
bigwaterbill Offline

I've had a couple different bladders and they all taste like plastic or some chemically funkiness. It has eventually gone away in every case. Now, when I buy a new one, I run water through it for a long time over the course of a couple days, store water in it in the fridge and pour it out and wash it several times before using it. Bottom line - it has always gone away after 10 or more uses for me.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum