Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148692 - 03/31/11 10:39 PM Sleeping bag help
watertones Offline

Loc: MN
Hey folks! I've been browsing on here for awhile and finally decided to take it to the next level. I'm an avid camper/hiker and recently got into backpacking in the last year or so. My goal is to go light and buying new gear one at a time as I get the money. I've narrowed down some sleeping bags and I'm looking for some input or other bag suggestions that aren't on the list. Mainly I'll be backpacking in MN and the surrounding area with the hopes of the Superior Hiking trail this year, and working my way to Isle Royal maybe next year and the big trips. Most likely I'll be backpacking in the Midwest and Canada from early spring to late fall. I'm a 5'4" female but male bags always fit better for me. I'm a little over weight (hope to change that) but pretty muscular so I'll need a slightly bigger bag, plus I move around a lot at night. I sleep warm. Hoe that helps.

Also I'm hovering in the degree ratings and unsure if I should go 15/20 degrees or if 30 will be plenty.

Bags:

-Western Mountaineering Megalite
-Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger # 3
-Big Agnes Heart Mountain SL 30
-Big Agnes Zirkel SL 20
-Big Agnes Mystic SL 15
(Big Agnes depends on what rating I'll go for)

Thanks folks!

#148697 - 03/31/11 11:40 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: watertones]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Western Mountaineering, if price is at best a minor consideration. I've found all WM bags to be about 5 degrees conservative - that is, the WM Megalite is really about a 25 degree bag, which you can push down to 20 with long johns, stocking cap, and maybe a down vest - or, as I did last weekend, 15 wearing a down jacket and down pants over longjohns inside the vest. (The WM Flash hooded jacket and pants are great, when you get ready to look for insulating garments.)

If you decide to go with a 20 degree bag, try the WM Alpinlite. It has a draft collar that fits around both the front and the back of your neck, and cinches down separately (which means you have 4 cords, one each for the hood, chest, front draft collar, and back draft collar.) In this, I stayed warm with longjohns to 10, and to zero or just below with the down jacket, pants, and booties.)

The Marmot "Element" series would be my second choice (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Atom); their ratings are pretty much dead on.

#148714 - 04/01/11 10:50 AM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: watertones]
ohiohiker Offline

I'd get a bag rated to 15F. In general, females need a bag rated 10-15 degrees colder than males due to metabolism rate differences.

I have the Montbell #3. I like and recommend it, but it's not rated conservatively at all. In general, you can't actually sleep in a position which stretches the bag significantly because there will be a cold spot where your knee or shoulder is uninsulated. They work well unzipped and used as a quilt too.

I've considered trying the Big Agnes bags, but I'm a bit skeptical of drafts and cold spots with that design.

Look at the 15F 800 fill Marmot bags.

#148725 - 04/01/11 12:36 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: ohiohiker]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I too suggest that a 30F rated bag sounds light for most people for the areas and time range that you want to cover. No way to know for certain, however; what you might consider is renting a bag and going on a trip in the near future (I think this counts as early season still for three season hiking) to get a sense for what works for you personally.

In terms of manufacturers, I only have experience with Western Mountaineering, but I quite like their products FWIW.

#148755 - 04/01/11 09:11 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: BrianLe]
watertones Offline

Thanks for the help. I guess when I say early spring to late fall I should elaborate. I generally wouldn't go when the lows are below freezing. That's where I was caught with the temp rating and where to go because the vast majority of my backpacking would be during the warm season. Renting is a good idea, I should check into that. Price is no matter. Well I want to be realistic, but if I also know that if I'm gonna spend the money on a new bag, then that bag will last me years.

I'm also thinking of a no go for Big Agnes. I'm not fond of having a mat shoved in the special pocket. I'd be nice to sit up in my bag

#148761 - 04/01/11 10:24 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: watertones]
watertones Offline

What do you all think about the Western Mountaineering Megalite with a liner for spring/fall? That way I can save on weight and volume in the summer months.

#148765 - 04/02/11 12:38 AM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: watertones]
Trower Offline

Loc: Northern Maine
Originally Posted By watertones
What do you all think about the Western Mountaineering Megalite with a liner for spring/fall? That way I can save on weight and volume in the summer months.

Its a bit spendy for my tastes, but I have heard good things about that bag. I Live in Northern Maine and it gets cold here, even in the summer! I myself use a 35f bag and a homemade liner in the cooler temps, and in even cooler temps a homemade linger and a wool blanket. Works well and lets you save money on not having to have more than one bag in your collection.

Best of luck,
Nick

#148786 - 04/02/11 07:24 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: Trower]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
It isn't often, but sometimes you'll see a WM come on for sale used. I bought mine used from this site and I have never looked back. (And no, I'm not about to sell it anytime soon.)

#148838 - 04/03/11 09:44 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: watertones]
Glenn Offline

I've never used a liner, but the concept sounds pretty good - and not a whole lot different from layering on base layers and insulation you're already carrying anyhow.

#148841 - 04/03/11 10:37 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: Glenn]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I've tried liners and just get tangled up. However a sleeping bag inside a sleeping bag works pretty well, as long as the inner one is small enough that you don't crush the loft.

#148846 - 04/03/11 11:03 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: thecook]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I tried a silk liner once. Got thoroughly tangled up, every time. In addition, although the package said it would add 9*F to the bag, I could detect absolutely no difference with it or without it.

Since I sleep cold, I'd rather have a warmer bag. Some try wearing more insulating clothing (down jacket and pants) inside a warmer bag to stretch the rating. Works for some, not others.

If you're going to be in northern Minnesota, I'd suggest a 20* Western Mountaineering bag--Ultralite or Megalite, depending on girth needed. Be sure to measure shoulder girth over your arms while wearing all your insulating clothing. That will take you down to at least 15*F or a bit lower, if your sleeping pad is warm enough. If it's a hot night in summer, just leave the bag unzipped and lie on top or use it as a quilt.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/03/11 11:07 PM)

#148847 - 04/03/11 11:17 PM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: watertones]
Joshuatree Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Watertones nice to see a fellow upper midwesterner even if you are from Minnesota grin. I don't know how close you live to Lake Superior. But if you've haven't had much exposure to it you may want to consider a 20 degree and skip the 30 with a liner the extra weight and volume isn't really worth it. The only months you might be warm would be July and August. I just leave my bag unzipped and use it like a quilt during the warmer nights. The SHT sits close enough to the lake that you get a pretty steady on shore winds from daytime heating which will match the lake's surface temp which is generally below 50 degrees add to that a fog or fine mist that often follows the winds off the lake and a little warmer bag is nice to counter the damp air. Its based on my experiances from backpacking along the upper Great lakes and working at a golf course a few miles away from Lake Michigan.

#149089 - 04/10/11 09:48 AM Re: Sleeping bag help [Re: Joshuatree]
watertones Offline

Yay Midwest! I live in the cities now, but I grew up in Northern MN by the BWCA area. I'm very familiar with how Superior is, but thanks for the heads up! I found a killer deal on a montbell Super Stretch 7, which I believe they don't make anymore. It's rated a 50 degrees, which would be perfect for me in the warm summer months. So that should solve my summer heat problem. So now I'm back to getting a bag that is rated for 20 degrees or 30 degrees.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum