Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148642 - 03/30/11 10:21 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: Jimshaw]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I was always under the impression that snakes are not that aggressive, unless you really anger them. But waking up with one in your face is way different, you startling can startle it. I still think a hammock is a great choice. Like Lori said, look in to War bonnet, Hennessy, clark...They have fully enclosed bug nets and different entries. I have a Hennessy with a bottom entry that Velcros up. No snake will be able to get to you unless he was a sickly deranged zombie snake.

#148644 - 03/30/11 10:32 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: GDeadphans]
Trower Offline

Loc: Northern Maine
Originally Posted By GDeadphans
No snake will be able to get to you unless he was a sickly deranged zombie snake.

Made me laugh alot......admittedly probably more than it should have:P

And If I were in snake country (well other than grass snake country) I would get a hammock, and that Hennessey sounds/looks like a good idea.

Edited by Trower (03/30/11 10:33 PM)

#148647 - 03/30/11 11:49 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: GDeadphans]
Wilderness70 Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
I was always under the impression that snakes are not that aggressive, unless you really anger them. But waking up with one in your face is way different, you startling can startle it. I still think a hammock is a great choice. Like Lori said, look in to War bonnet, Hennessy, clark...They have fully enclosed bug nets and different entries. I have a Hennessy with a bottom entry that Velcros up. No snake will be able to get to you unless he was a sickly deranged zombie snake.

They're not aggressive, but at night to them a person sleeping in the open just looks like a nice warm place for them to curl up against. I had an uncle that woke up with a rattler sleeping on top of his sleeping bag down near his feet... he said the thought of it crawling into his sleeping bag scared him enough so he never slept on the ground without a tent again.

I've also seen a couple rattlers in trees before. It's not common, but if there's a nest or some other food on a low branch they will get up there.

#148722 - 04/01/11 12:26 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: WB0]
PDA Offline

The REI bug net looks best, but look at this Texsport one person tent
http://www.texsport.net/texsport-tents-1/saguaro-bivy-shelter-tent-p-1127.html
Weighs 4 lb or so, and $34

#148734 - 04/01/11 02:50 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: WB0]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
WBO, I know the country and the pests. Grew up around Alpena Pass in the North Arkansas Ozarks, and worked three months as a cowboy on a little ranch in Adair County (Watts, Ballard, Chance area, don't know if any of those towns still exist). Had lots of discussions with copperheads, like Bill and others here, I saw the occasional mocasin while I was giggin' frogs at night (yes the legs are great, breaded, like fried chicken) Got bit in the palm of my hand by a scorpion (swelled up like a basketball). Lots of spiders, but most i'm sure were not recluse variety. I've heard the stories of people being chased by snakes but since no snake I've ever encountered could be properly described as aggressive I think those stories are BS. But I have woken up with snakes trying to share my warmth, a couple of whom were copperheads, so I know how you feel.

For exactly the reasons you described (and for defense against shelter mice), I used an ID South Col Bivy (765 gr -- about 25 oz.) for one of my AT thru-hikes. I thought it worked very well indeed and the netting over the face was substantial enough to let one feel safe. And it is still in good shape. I believe they are still made (I think I saw one in MEC last trip). Don't use it any more because I have a much lighter one from MLD (though it's not as much protection as you're looking for). Hope this helps, best, jcp

#148774 - 04/02/11 02:22 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: WB0]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
WBO-

You have received lots of recommendations. Add one more recommendation for a hammock. I'm predjudiced for Hennessys. You could leave the fly off to see stars at night and be free of bugs, snakes, and other critters. I tested a tent and woke up to slime trails from slugs. Eww! No slugs, no critters in my Hennessy.

CM

#148778 - 04/02/11 06:12 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: CamperMom]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I am glad you said that Campermom, makes me feel good considering I am a new HH Exped asym owner - and I have heard a lot of people say I should have went with a WBonnet.

#148784 - 04/02/11 06:50 PM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: GDeadphans]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
and I have heard a lot of people say I should have went with a WBonnet.

Nonsense. Everybody is partial to their own hammocks/tastes.
I have two Hennessey's and they work great...never saw a reason to change. I'm sure WBonnets are fine too.

#148804 - 04/03/11 11:18 AM Re: Like sleeping out, but need protection from snakes [Re: Dryer]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
I have to tell you all that I have friends who own WB's but have never climbed into one. I started using Hennessys over 10 years ago. Remember the Remington commercial with the man saying he liked his shaver so much that he bought the company? We don't have that kind of capital, but I liked my first Hennessy so much that I started showing them to friends, then wrote to Tom to ask him if he could make some of the smaller East coast gatherings, offering to host and chauffeur him around. He couldn't make the travel arrangements in time, but authorized me to start showing hammocks for him on a limited basis. Now, I try to go help out at Trail Days and am basically limited to lightweight demos for Scout Troops and selling an occasional hammock.

CM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum