Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148500 - 03/27/11 10:51 PM is it silnylon?
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
Well my wife came across some fabric at Walmart. I've heard tales of silnylon available for 1.50 a yard on occaision. What hallmarks would this grey ripstop nylon fabric have if it were really silnylon? It's very lightweight and very slippery. I can't detect a "rubbery" side to it. she did attempt to force fluid thru the fabric by hand and wasn't successful. Did she manage to find some of the elusive walmart silnylon remants? any help appreciated.

John

#148502 - 03/27/11 11:32 PM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: orclwzrd]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
That sounds like the Walmart silnylon to me. Looks like ripstop and is very slippery - check. Can't force water through it easily - check. Sounds like you got yourself some silnylon! I don't know if there are any other possibilities considering it's Walmart.

I stocked up on it a couple of years back and now that I'm retired I need to start sewing it into things (I did make a couple of daypacks, a poncho, and some stuffsacks).

#148513 - 03/28/11 06:49 AM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: orclwzrd]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
If you truly have found silnylon, congratulations! A very few times I've found ripstop or coated ripstop, never silnylon.

CM

#148516 - 03/28/11 09:20 AM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: CamperMom]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
It is most likley 2.2 oz per yrd coated ripstop. Tru silnylon is considered 1.1 oz per yard silicone impregnated. Our walmart will sometimes have the ripstop. I have never seen silnylon there! Not that it isnt possible? If you have ever compared the two I think you could tell the difference. Sil is glossyer looking than reg, ripstop as well as tissue paper thin.

#148532 - 03/28/11 12:33 PM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: orclwzrd]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
The last time I got some it was grey. First I weighed mine, then I made a tarp of it and tested for waterproofness. Mine weighed in at about 1.2-1.3 oz per sq yrd. So, you might have found it. How wide is the fabric? Mine turned out to be 48" instead of the standard 60" wide.

#148533 - 03/28/11 12:41 PM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: Kent W]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
It is most likley 2.2 oz per yrd coated ripstop. Tru silnylon is considered 1.1 oz per yard silicone impregnated. Our walmart will sometimes have the ripstop. I have never seen silnylon there! Not that it isnt possible? If you have ever compared the two I think you could tell the difference. Sil is glossyer looking than reg, ripstop as well as tissue paper thin.

Actually, I thought that it sounded like sil... not having one side feel different than the other argues for that.

I suspect that it is not 1.1 but 1.9, still, even 1.1 tends to be the weight before silicone impregnation... usually ends up being 1.5 or so when they're done.

Having handled the 1.1 from OWF and Quest, I am usually able to tell by feel - I've never found 1.1 sil in Walmart either. But have come home with a nice swatch of 1.9 regular ripstop to make a single layer hammock. smile

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148544 - 03/28/11 02:35 PM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: lori]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
It's not tissue paper thin. Not "glossy" at all. 8.69 yards weighed in at 23 oz so heavier that silnylon should be. prolly coated ripstop nylon of some sort. Good find none the less. so the elusive Walmart silnylon is still out there...

This will likely be some good stuff bags. Anyone have a better design than the thru-hiker instructions?

Thanks for all the comments.

John

#148547 - 03/28/11 03:03 PM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: orclwzrd]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Yes a bargain regardless, ripstop is 7.99 a yrd. at Joann fabrics!

#148550 - 03/28/11 05:19 PM Re: is it silnylon? [Re: finallyME]
bmadau Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
The last time I got some it was grey. First I weighed mine, then I made a tarp of it and tested for waterproofness. Mine weighed in at about 1.2-1.3 oz per sq yrd. So, you might have found it. How wide is the fabric? Mine turned out to be 48" instead of the standard 60" wide.

A couple of years ago my wife was shopping for some fabric at an out of town Walmart, and I found a bolt of 1.1oz ripstop. It was marked $1.99, and whether the clerk was incompetent or what, they sold me the WHOLE bolt for $1.99. I think the clerk may just have been too lazy to measure how many yards were there. It turned out to be about 10yards of material, if not a touch more... I've just started making some stuff sacks and now just finished an 8x10 flat tarp. So far with the grosgrain guy-outs sews on, it's at about 11oz. I plan to try siliconize it myself, following some of the many instructions found online.

BM

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum