Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147995 - 03/19/11 02:08 PM Saws
Mosey Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Anyone have a preferred backpacking saw? Obviously weight makes a difference.

I tried that cheap-o almost sandpaper on metal thing with the key rings on the ends and it didn't work and then broke.

Are they worth it to even carry?

Looking at folding/collapsible ones now.

#147997 - 03/19/11 02:35 PM Re: Saws [Re: Mosey]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Most of us don't carry saws, since this is a lightweight backpacking forum. It's generally recommended to use only dead and down wood for fires, and to use small sticks. The small stuff burns to ashes instead of lumps of charcoal, leaving less mess behind. A number of us backpack where fires are discouraged or forbidden and therefore use lightweight camp stoves.

I also once tried one of those little saws with the rings at each end, and agree that they are utterly useless!

There are a number of folding saws around; you'll have to decide if you'll use it enough to make it worthwhile to carry the weight.

#147998 - 03/19/11 02:56 PM Re: Saws [Re: Mosey]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
On those exceedingly rare occasions that I take a saw along, I carry a Felco 60. It weighs about 4.5 oz and has a blade about 7" long that folds safely into a plastic handle. It is sharp and has stayed sharp for the last 8 years. I also use it for pruning around our property.

Do I think a saw is worth carrying? Other than for hunting trips, mostly no. And, unless my hunting trip turns into a finding trip and I need to cut up an animal, I have little use for the saw. I use a stove for most of my cooking and can scrounge fire wood for a cooking fire should I wish or need to use one. Small diameter wood is easy to find in most backpacking areas where fires are legal. The exception is around heavily-used campsites on some of the superhighway trails.

I carry a saw in preference to an axe or hatchet; I find a saw to be more efficient for cutting wood than either of the choppers.

There are several Swiss Army knives that have a saw blade included as part of the tool kit. I have a SAK with a saw blade. It serves adequately for cutting stuff up to perhaps an inch in diameter; so, its good for small-fire fuel. The SAK weighs about 3.5 oz, doesn't cut as well as the Felco 60 and has a lot of other relatively useless blades that you get to carry.

If you want to make a light saw, go to Home Depot and get a long wood-cutting blade for a Sawzall reciprocating saw and make a lightweight handle for that. I have seen saws with a 6" blade and 3/4" dowel handle that weigh about 2 oz.

#148000 - 03/19/11 03:15 PM Re: Saws [Re: Mosey]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
The wire saws are worthless. cry

When I do trail maintenance I carry a Fiskar pruning saw for branches up to about 6". Over that I carry a chain saw.

http://www.rei.com/product/775079

For normal 3 season hiking I carry a mini Sierra saw - about 1.5 oz., but I have not used it in years.

#148002 - 03/19/11 03:31 PM Re: Saws [Re: Mosey]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Pretty much the only time I ever carry a saw is on day hikes, usually early in the season before trail crews have had a chance to do any maintenance work, on which occasions I carry a folding pruning saw similar to the ones mentioned already. I use it exclusively for the purpose of doing informal trail maintenance, by pruning away at deadfall branches.

Obviously, a small folding pruning saw can't saw through a 2-foot diameter tree trunk in order to completely clear a trail, but it can clear enough branches to open a way to step over the tree more easily, allowing people to stay on the trail, rather than making off-trail detours that eventually trample a secondary path around the obstacle.

While car camping I rarely need or use a saw, but I usually have the same pruning saw in my gear, or else a nifty folding buck saw I bought from Lee Valley Tools. They come in handy from time to time.

#148004 - 03/19/11 03:52 PM Re: Saws [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with the saw for trail maintenance! I generally carry loppers (I was given 15" Fiskar's Power Gear loppers, recommended by local trail maintenance folks, for Christmas, and they are wonderful!), but have been known to carry a folding pruning saw, too. I only do this on day hikes, though. It's good to have something that is useful around home and yard, too!

Aimless has made an excellent point about clearing at least enough of the obstruction so people can get over (or under) the log without leaving the trail! It takes only a few people going around to wear a "social" trail and (if on a hillside) cause erosion on the real trail.

#148006 - 03/19/11 04:18 PM Re: Saws [Re: Pika]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I find the saw on my Leatherman Wave to be a very good cutter. I carry the Wave most of the time, finding it quite handy when I have to deal with ski bindings and the like. But I have gone for miles and miles without any need for a saw of any sort.

#148029 - 03/20/11 01:08 AM Re: Saws [Re: Mosey]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I think it depends a great deal on *why* you want to carry a saw. Is it to cut significant amounts of firewood each night? Or is it to do trail maintenance? Or is it for emergency use only?

In shoulder season and winter day hikes I like to carry the mini sierra saw that Ringtail mentioned for the latter (emergency use) reason, as it's quite light. For other cutting one wants a somewhat more robust saw with a longer blade, hence --- stating why you want to carry it will help folks give better feedback.

#148033 - 03/20/11 02:10 AM Re: Saws [Re: BrianLe]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I carry a fiskars folder or a noname folding pruning saw when hunting.. For just "squaw wood" gathering for a small stove or small fires when winter camping, I prefer a small axe. I never bother with the silly wire saw, You'd to better with a good knife.

If I'm going out for serious winter - with sled, and lots of cold, I take a bow saw - nothing can make more firewood other than a chainsaw wink

Browse my pictures

#148069 - 03/20/11 04:18 PM Re: Saws [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
There is another thread about saws in the winter forum. I never carry one, but I have one I could take if I thought it would be useful-a folding Japanese saw. Most parks in the US don't allow cutting wood and many don't allow fires at all, so a saw is useless for trips in those parks.

#148077 - 03/20/11 08:05 PM Re: Saws [Re: TomD]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I really don't get it. I have always, not a single exception, been able to gather enough firewood by gathering and breaking up enough firewood without either a saw or hatchet. On a few occasions these have been emergency bivouacs where we wanted to keep a fire going all night long. The closest to using a tool was to employ a big rock to break a propped log in two. It was a wonderfully primal experience. I chortled that no archaeologist would ever be able to detect that my rock was employed as a tool, and thus would never discover that rangers are tool users, just like chimpanzees.

And yes, don't pack a saw in national parks. If detected, the ranger will make you carry his pack to the trail head as weas forcing you to cook over fires fueled with items from your possessions.

I have never camped in winter in a Canadian woodland and I suppose one might be handy there, especially if you are in a base camp (most of my camps are pretty base, I am told), but for "normal" backpacking, if there is such a thing, I just don't see packing a saw....

Edited by oldranger (03/20/11 08:05 PM)

#148087 - 03/20/11 09:42 PM Re: Saws [Re: oldranger]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

And yes, I concur - I never carry one when normally backpacking - even when I am building fires.

when it's 20 below - well, that's when I want a little more firewood than I can dig out from under the snow smile

Browse my pictures

#148090 - 03/20/11 10:26 PM Re: Saws [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
For backpacking, I have a saw on my SAK multitool. I never buy a SAK without a saw.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum