Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147944 - 03/17/11 08:29 PM Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test.
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Being new to Hammock packin, I made a overnighter to Mississippi Palasades State Park. Packed in to there limited primative sites. I used my Thermarest prolight with temps around a balmy 40 March degrees. The Prolight has to go! It is way to hard to stay on this pad in a Hammock . I am going to take a wider foam ridgrest on my next Smokies trip. My son used one in his Emo without trouble. My REI Sub Kilo was good but tight. Bag will do for now. Hammocks are much colder than ground sleeping. I have to say , my back never felt so good the next day sleeping on the ground. I will get it tweaked out. If I catch a real cold fluke I would be tempted to pitch as a tent on ground level! Untill next time, Thanks for Listenin

#147947 - 03/17/11 10:21 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hey Kent.

I've never found thermarests and the like good in a hammock.

In a hammock you want something like a *Wide* blue foam pad. I get a 27 inch wide one at wal-mart - you can also get a couple of standard width ones and glue toether, or add "wings" to the side. but really, a wide closed cell pad works well.
Browse my pictures

#147948 - 03/17/11 10:57 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
+1 on what Phat said. However, I have had luck using an older thermarest 3/4 length pad partially inflated.

#147953 - 03/18/11 12:23 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I used a Thermorest Ultralite 3/4 in my hammock for many years, accepting the slip and slide as part of the deal.
Changed to a short Ridgerest foam pad and never looked back.
Foam is the way to go.

#147957 - 03/18/11 08:27 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Dryer]
Kent W Offline

Yep Thanks I already went and bought a lighter , wider foam ridgrest pad. I am confident it will make the experience better. Glueing wings on the pad is something I hadnt thought of? Sounds like a good idea. Trouble is I dont think it would coil up inside my G4 then. Im sure it wouldbe a plus when it got real cold out.

#147960 - 03/18/11 10:10 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
For wings you can make a pad extender. Just a tube of cloth that fits your CCF pad from side to side with slots for the wing pads on either side.

#147983 - 03/18/11 10:51 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
For colder weather, I take my Exped 7 Down air mattress.
One of the best investments I've made. I caught it on sale at Moosejaw for about 50% off.

I've used the blue ccf but prefer the Exped.

My son uses the blue ccf and is fine with it.

We are both using Claytor's now so the double layer helps with being able to move a little easier.

#147992 - 03/19/11 09:19 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Tango61]
Kent W Offline

I just looked at the exped 7 . Wow it has a R value of 5! That would work awsome with a Golite Quilt! I want to look at one at the store. I wnt to see if it looks like it would slide around in the hammock?

#147993 - 03/19/11 10:15 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hi, Kent-

How firmly inflated was your Prolite? I have moved on from using one inside my hammock, for the most part, but advised you on how mine worked for me. I may not have mentioned under-rather than over-inflating it. If a mattress is too stiff, it will tend to pop out from under you too easily. Another thing that helps is a piece of grippy shelf liner.

The crossed windshield reflectors with taped-on closed cell foam "wings" will work much as the sewn pad extender that was mentioned, and can work with any type of mattress. "Customize" the foam strip placement to fit your chosen pad.

Some people cut Z-rests into segments and join with Velcro strips or whatever, turning the segments so that the folds are parallel to the user's body. They conform a little better in that direction.

Your DAM can also work, but not so well with the stock fly. It is likely to stick out from under the fly.

If I remember correctly, you have the side-entry. The advantage there is that you can lay out your bottom insulation and sit on it, then respread whatever curls up as you get in.

The bottom-entry Hennessys have been around much longer, so that is where most of my experience lies. For the last 5 or so years, I’ve carried a Gossamer Gear Thinlight ¼” pad folded into my Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack’s back pad pocket. At night, I slip it between a suspended space blanket and the underside of my hammock, or maybe under a fleece blanket suspended under my hammock. It depends on how cold the night is going to be. I haven’t tried this set-up with a side-entry hammock, yet.
One of my friends says it takes a puppet-master to use my set-up, but I’ve been making it work for years. I am rather insistent that my gear have more than one function, so the fleece blanket has to have a zippered hole for my head so it can be worn as a tunic and the foam pad has to work as padding between my pack and back or a sit-pad by day.

CamperMom

#148007 - 03/19/11 04:42 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
I just looked at the exped 7 . Wow it has a R value of 5! That would work awsome with a Golite Quilt! I want to look at one at the store. I wnt to see if it looks like it would slide around in the hammock?

By the time you are thinking about an exped for this, you should consider a hammock underquilt - the exped weighs quite a bit compared to an underquilt.

But see how you do with a good pad. I usually do fine with a ccf pad and my poncho rigged underneath as an airgap/windblock.
Browse my pictures

#148011 - 03/19/11 05:52 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
CamperMom Offline

I agree with Phat about the Exped weighing more than an underquilt. The underquilt will not be useful if the user "goes to ground" for some reason. The Exped will work very nicely if the user needs to use it on the ground or in a shelter for any reason.

Also, I have the impression that the poster who suggested the Exped (Kent?) is using items that he already has.

CamperMom

#148022 - 03/19/11 10:09 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

Yes I am not going to jump on exped. Price is up there but if I sold Prolight on ebay? Not so bad maybe? I am considering all options? Campermom, yes perhaps I did have Prolight, inflated on the heavy side. I considered shelfliner etc,However I am not real patient and dont think backpacking should get that compicated! But it does,we are all gear heads! Tweak Tweak Tweak. I do like that Thermarest ridgerest will save about half a pound! Air matress isnt needed in hammock, Just insulation I Think? I may make slipon wings from blue wally world pad and a silnylon, elastic slip on pad cover etc! Of course that will add a couple ounces back? Oh, I do like the side entry. Makes a good chair and morelike swingin feet out of bed at home!

Edited by Kent W (03/19/11 10:12 PM)

#148030 - 03/20/11 01:17 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Two reasons I went with the Exped - price (a really great sale) and I occasionally have to go to ground and I am a very cold sleeper.

Using the Exped in the Claytor with its double layer there is not much sliding around. I inflate it about 75%.

I also use a windshield reflector screen folded in thirds, placed under my rear end to avoid CBS (cold butt syndrome).

I am definitely on the way to an underquilt. I just have to decided what material. Lots of options for different scenarios.

My son on the other hand, is a very warm sleeper and does fine with the ccf pad and a reflective tarp rigged underneath as an airblock.

#148031 - 03/20/11 01:54 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: CamperMom]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
The underquilt will not be useful if the user "goes to ground" for some reason.

Yeah, well, this is actually why I still (after 8 odd years in a hammock) do not own an underquilt smile

I keep coming back to using my closed cell blue foam pad in the hammock, I have nice wide ones, not the standard width, and then I rig my silponcho underneath it like the "garlington insulator" method - it's basically a windblock and airgap which I can stuff with things to give a bit of insulaiton, like wadded up space blankets, garbage bags, or in very cold weather, another sleeping bag. most of the time I only carry the space blankets and poncho. In colder weather I carry usually a hammock shaped wad of cheap polifill insulation from wal-mart sewing bin and stuff that in.

nice part is I can go to ground, poncho is lighter than an underquilt (by a lot) and multi-use.

But I do have lots of trips where I can not hammock for the whole trip - no trees in some places!:

Edited by phat (03/20/11 01:56 AM)
Browse my pictures

#148038 - 03/20/11 08:58 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I do own an underquilt, used it once, and went back to foam pads the same night. Down to the 20's and an underquilt simply isn't necessary for me and is colder than a foam pad.

If you want really wide foam pads, have a look at Gossamer Gear's Evasote pads. They have to be cut down to size. I've got a 1/4 incher version that works great and got three pads out of one sheet.

#148044 - 03/20/11 10:05 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Dryer]
Kent W Offline

I was looking at there pads. I have been told they make Hennasey pad for 4 season sleepsystem? I like the duel purpose poncho Idea Phat! I will experment on my next trip in two weeks!
Phat I drool everytime you post hiking pictures in your post. That is some Awsome country !

#148055 - 03/20/11 11:41 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Yes, the Gossamer Gear Thinlight that I wrote about IS their Evasote pad. I have the foldable 1/4" thick, wider pad, trimmed at the corners. It sits on my mylar space blanket, slung under my hammock. I may or may not need to use a fleece poncho underneath, as well. It depends on how cold it is.

Kent originally asked about making the Prolite that he already owns work.

Kent, if you are using a full bag, rather than a quilt, in your side-entry hammock, you might want to cut a large windshield reflector pad, taping on some extra width, if necssary, to use inside the hammock but under your sleeping bag. You could tape/glue anti-slip material to that. Get the bubble-wrap type of insulator, not the foam for this job. You will need that stiffness. If you loook at pictures of the Jungle Hammock on the Hennessy site, you will see what I mean. That reflecive pad is made of a material similar to the foiled bubble wrap windshield insulation and has shock-cork ties outs matched to the access slits between the layers of the double-bottomed hammock. I suspect that this material would slip around if not tethered. Unless you sew something to the hammock to hold the pad, you won't be able to tether the same way. Anyway, a good relector under your bag might do the job and be easy to use in the side-entry hammock.

The side-entry and bottom-entry hammocks both make good camp chairs. You may still want to fold the bottom in half and be very careful to keep weight/stress off of the zipper and bug netting as you sit.

CamperMom

#148058 - 03/20/11 12:11 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
I was looking at there pads. I have been told they make Hennasey pad for 4 season sleepsystem? I like the duel purpose poncho Idea Phat! I will experment on my next trip in two weeks!

Kent the poncho I use is an integral dynamics silponcho - it has a shockcord on the bottom, so when I rig it to the hammock that is "stretchy". if your poncho doesn't have that it might need something stretchy to rig it up with, and gather the end up.

Four pictures are probably worth a thousand words - this is on my old speer, you can just see the wadded up space blankets in the second picture inside the poncho - I have a CCF pad inside the hammock here as well.

Browse my pictures

#148067 - 03/20/11 03:41 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

All systems seam the same only different. Mom yes I am considing that idea and also some of my own. Has anyone ever tried glueing a space blanket with spray contact adhesive directly to bottom of foam pad? I consider this but would make bottom of pad slipery again much like the prolight. I am wondering if I could make elastic straps and fasten my homemade sill Pack cover under hammock with space blanket and foam pad? Thinking, of ways to work with what I have. All your sugestions are very much appreciated. Though, I may not follow them exactly, they are helpfull to a work in progress. I have learned allot about Hammock use this past month! Hopefully, I willcontinue to learn!

#148070 - 03/20/11 05:45 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Hmm-

My pack cover is not big enough to cover the underside of my hammock. Any under-hammock system will need to be kept close to the hammock, either snug or at least the edges pulled tightly against the hammock to seal warm air in and drafts out. There is a small-diameter elastic cord sold in small packages at places like Walmart. I use this, doubled, to hold my space blanket against the hammock, along with connecting the side tie-outs to the blanket with small sections of the round elastic cord. The elastic and space blanket together cost under $4, usually. Make a casing (tunnel) on the two long ends by folding a couple of inches over and taping them down. I use flexible duct tape for this. (I found it at Lowe's.) It looks a lot like thicker mylar, but sticky on one side.

CamperMom

#148076 - 03/20/11 07:53 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: CamperMom]
Kent W Offline

Yes I have elastic cord. No my pack cover wouldnt cover entire Hammock bottom. But it would cover the vitals area waist up? Just pondering as I currently do not use a poncho. I use Marmot precip pants and Jacket. I am fresh out of silnylon. I guess I could call Noah Lamport and order another ten yards. Have to weight the cost options.

#148154 - 03/22/11 08:41 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
phat Offline

If you can hang in your back yard, or somewhere easy, you could always try it out with a sheet of plastic before making something- see if that airgap trick keeps you warmer.
Browse my pictures

#148171 - 03/23/11 09:58 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

Yes I plan to try it Phat,it has been rainy the last few days! I was considering making a undercover from one of those heat shrink patio door pieces of plastic. I made velcro attached wings for my ccf pad yesterday. I am sure I will be fine. I also have a space blanket and bought a window reflector. I am debating bothering with the window reflector. I am just chomping at the bit to get back to the mountains! I have been looking at Ponchos but not sureI want to go that route. I almost bought a new WM Alpinligt on ebay a couple days ago. I bid 350.00 in last few seconds and it went for 356.00. Kinda glad I didnt as I may like to switch to a qwilt,If I continue to hang? I have been also looking at GG. quilt,etc.etc.
I kinda think maybe I should just order the Hennesy 4 season system for a hundred bucks. This includes Undercover. Overcover, Pad and all? By the time I get done spending money expermenting with ideas that may or may not work. I would at least have a proven system? The DIY. in me just will not allow it?

#148174 - 03/23/11 10:57 AM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: Kent W]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Can one put some sort of material on the bottom of a thermarest pad to increase friction?

Perhaps the non-poky side of velcro or some other material and tape it to the bottom in various sections. This cheap alternative plus under insulating the pad seems like a good solution to slippage. Anyone have experience in this?

#148208 - 03/23/11 10:34 PM Re: Hennesey Hammock Hyper Lite test. [Re: GDeadphans]
Kent W Offline

Yes if you look back in this thread you will see dots of silicone and also shelf or toolbox liner recomended. I think the real issue is not only pad slipage but width as well. Air moves around you constantly in a Hammock. The ground creates dead air space in a tent situation. Tent floor or ground is a airlock so to speak. In a Hammock you seem to get a wind chill factor from the bottom ,unlike in a tent. Answer seems to be a sub floor or under quilt sub floor? The pros cant be all wrong? Trouble I am finding is like most ventures. I am moving on to Hammock comfort, and it is comfortable if you are warm! However, like many things new Hammock is the cheap part. I am trying to make this a warm versatile system utilizing what resources I already have. Murphy steps in and we realise we have to alter systems. Well guess what altering systems adds to cost, and if not carefull weight. Weight wise I am at break even ,as I had a two person two pound silnylon tent. However ,Hammock is 2 pounds and one person. Trade off is back felt so so in tent and excellent in Hammock. I stated a wider pad is needed,this is due to the wind chillfactor you feel it in your arms if off the pad. The air mattress isnt needed in the Hammock, just insulation. Happy Trails

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum