Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147696 - 03/12/11 11:41 PM Water system for a kid
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I have a 35oz (1L) Camelbak (5oz weight) for my one kid.

Looking to buy something for kid 2, and think that a 1L/34OZ Platypus Softbottle with a Duckbill drinking tube (3oz total) is an alternative. It should be lighter by a bit, and some of you have spoken highly of Platypus products.

However, I've read through some posts over the last two years (yes Tom, I searched) that indicated that the Platypus soft bottles are prone to springing leaks.

For those of you who like the Platypus gear, would you put it in the hands of a 6 year old, or am I better off using the slightly heavier Camelback gear?

#147697 - 03/13/11 01:02 AM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: Steadman]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I think you'd probably be ok Steadman. I have had my platy's leak on occasion - but I'm pretty rough on them. if you have your kid treat them with any amount of respect they should last a good long time.
Browse my pictures

#147708 - 03/13/11 02:19 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: Steadman]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
My Platys have held up for year, plus a patch kit is available.

That said, for a 6 YO, I'd probably go with disposable water bottles attached to the pack's shoulder straps. You COULD drill a couple of holes, one really small to hold a valve, the other for a drinking tube that reaches the bottom of container. Actually, some water bottles are made this way, so you could attach a bag to hold it to one shoulder strap.

IF your 6 YO can use and prefers a hydration tube/system, that can work, but I took a 16 YO out who kept chewing my spare bite valve, rather than holding it open and sucking. Until I know how a kid adapts to new things, I'm sticking to basics.

CamperMom

#147720 - 03/13/11 06:14 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: CamperMom]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
When the Camelback first came out, I bought one. Mine is basically a really small pack with the bladder in it. I used it a few time before relegating it to my closet. I then bought a winterized Camelback bladder and it met the same fate - a good idea in the store, not so good in practice, for me that is.

For a kid, I think Campermom has the right idea. I would suggest a water bottle in a holder on a belt. Easy to use, low cost and if the bottle gets lost, easily replaceable. I have various water bottles I've bought or picked up at trade shows for free, but I often just use something like a Snapple bottle or bottled water bottle that I can toss in a daypack or the car and not care too much if it gets misplaced. Some bottles have the sports top you pull up to drink and with one of those, he won't likely lose the top and it is about as simple as it gets.

Edited by TomD (03/13/11 06:16 PM)

#147722 - 03/13/11 07:00 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: Steadman]
lori Offline

I finally - after three years - replaced the bite valve on my Platy because it was starting to drip. The rest of it is fine even tho it's spent its life being jammed in a backpack behind a bear can. I have some older bottles. However, a new 1 liter Platy I just bought leaks from the cap if I let it lie on its side!

I'm with campermom - unless the kid can suss out the bite valve or just can't stand not having the same thing the "other guys" have I'd give him water bottles, or maybe a SIGG. The hydration bladder would be pretty useless if the kid mangled the bite valve til it leaked constantly or just didn't work.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147725 - 03/13/11 08:54 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: lori]
Steadman Offline

Understand the value in a cheap bottle over an expensive hydration system, but we're wedded to the hydration systems.

The kids drink better with the hydration systems, and they seem to be emotionally attached to them.

Question is, which system is the better of the two.

#147726 - 03/13/11 09:01 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: Steadman]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Steadman

Question is, which system is the better of the two.

Depends on who you ask. Some people like one or the other. I prefer platys - quick connects with water filter, and with the big zip you can undo the zip on top while you filter to keep the pump from blowing up the platy like a balloon. The big zip has a large opening on top that allows you to clean without using a coat hanger apparatus. I've abused mine, pretty much, no leaks.

I have an older Camelbak but wouldn't get one again because it requires another person to hold it while i'm filtering water into it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147728 - 03/13/11 09:43 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: lori]
Steadman Offline

I've mastered putting my bladder on my lap, and pumping clean water in it. At least with my kids along, I have extra hands...

I don't intend to use Platypus's bladder; I want to use a 1 L softbottle with their adapter to turn it into a hydration system.

IF the connection between the bottle and the tube is bad (it will be inverted) we're screwed. The physics of that connection is what bothers me - because we'll have to open and close it...

#147753 - 03/14/11 02:15 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: TomD]
dragoro Offline

Loc: Michigan
I couldn't hike without my camelback.

#147754 - 03/14/11 02:18 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: Steadman]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
One of the beauties of the Platypus system is that the fitting works very well with caps from many water and soda bottles, such as Coke or Pepsi. If the water bottle cap fits a Coke, etc., bottle without leaking, you should be all set. Most Poland Springs bottles seem to have caps that are just a little smaller than Platys and soda bottles, so their bottles probably will not work with a screw-on Platypus connector.

CamperMom

#147763 - 03/14/11 05:54 PM Re: Water system for a kid [Re: Steadman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Although not statistically significant, all three of my camelbacks have leaked. I don't buy camelbacks anymore. My son has a bladder that came with the kelty starfish. It has never leaked and he has liked it, and not broken it. He has used other cheap bladder systems with success. Anyways, I don't think it matters, which brand. Get the one you want, they will all work.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum