Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147431 - 03/06/11 11:26 AM GTX ?
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Not sure how to ask this so here it goes. I have a pair of “Montrail Sabino Trail Shoes” which are fine but am considering something a little more durable. Comparing the “Montrail AT Plus” with the “Montrail AT Plus GTX” and the only real difference I could find is 1 oz, $10 and GTX. My main concern is when a waterproof shoe is submerged, how long will it take to dry out. Is there really any difference? Just wondering what everyone's experience is with Gortex in shoes?

Thanks

#147433 - 03/06/11 12:17 PM Re: GTX ? [Re: intrek38]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Just wondering what everyone's experience is with Gortex in shoes?"

There are a lot of extent threads on this topic, likely here, certainly on other backpacking discussion boards, so one response is "search for past threads".

I think it depends on how you're using the shoe, what it's for. On a weekend trip, goretex sounds great to me. Stay dry for a while if not the entire trip.

For a long trip where it just rains day after day, shoes (or boots) will eventually get wet, and goretex shoes definitely do take longer to dry out than do lighter, more breathable shoes. The latter also allow you feet to stay drier when it's not wet out, i.e., they allow sweat to pass out faster as water vapor, thus reducing the chance of blisters. OTOH, they can also allow more fine dust to come in, depending on where/when you hike this might or might not be an issue.

Apart from limited/specific circumstances, long distance backpackers as a whole favor non-goretex, quick-drying shoes. Yes, these also get wet faster, but you can "walk them dry".

Note that one option is to consider a goretex sock (Rocky brand goretex are a good choice, make sure to size them up). These are good in wet (or even not wet) snow and just generally in wet conditions.

Like many such topics, lots of differing opinions on this one; FWIW, I'm quite happy with non-goretex shoes. I was converted for certain when my one and only pair of goretex shoes wore little holes at the crease near the base of the toes on a moderately long trip, fairly early in the shoe life. IMO, a goretex shoe with a hole in it is about as useful for staying dry as a screen door is useful on a submarine.

#147434 - 03/06/11 12:20 PM Re: GTX ? [Re: intrek38]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I like Goretex boots/shoes for snowy and mixed spring conditions and ventilated footwear the rest of the year. GT does a good job at fending off moisture from the outside, especially paired with gaiters, but isn't so good at venting off sweat.

I guess if I were picking one pair of footwear for year-round use I'd get non-GT and deal with moisture using liners, etc. But I'm not self-disciplined enough to have just one pair and generally ruin trail sneakers in one season, anyway.

Cheers,

#147436 - 03/06/11 01:12 PM Re: GTX ? [Re: Rick_D]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners with gore-tex lining. They were great hiking boots while walking through dewy, sopping wet grass and chaparral. I did maintain the leather with Sno-Seal.

Eventually the goretex linings wore through. If anything, they were better. Keeping the leather water resistant was more important than the lining.

#147455 - 03/06/11 10:35 PM Re: GTX ? [Re: oldranger]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Thankyou all for your replies. I'm gonna go ahead and give the non-gt a try. Thanks...

#147469 - 03/07/11 12:23 PM Re: GTX ? [Re: Rick_D]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Rick_D
I like Goretex boots/shoes for snowy and mixed spring conditions and ventilated footwear the rest of the year. GT does a good job at fending off moisture from the outside, especially paired with gaiters, but isn't so good at venting off sweat.

This is exactly what I do too. goodjob

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum