Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146712 - 02/20/11 08:13 PM Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
I've been going over my gear, trying to figure out what I need (tax money will be here soon!)... and I discovered I don't actually NEED anything, beyond a pair of pants. Which I have covered now. (Being the GM of four thrift stores is da bomb diggity!)

But there are a few things I'd like to have in my closet for certain trips, and I was wondering if anyone has some ideas or comments about them.

The first is that I'd like a camp chair or sit pad. Now, I know I could get a blue Wally-world pad and cut it up. I've also looked at those foam stadium seats. But they're not quite what I'm looking for. Weight and comfort are my two issues, at the moment. Any suggestions?

(ETA: It would be really cool if I could also use this when canoeing. Also, the reason I rejected the blue pad and stadium seat was comfort. I like a bit more cushion for my tushie.)

The next is that I'd like a tarp to use as a kitchen/common area. I occasionally go on overnighters with several family members, and it would be good to have a common area to play cards, cook, talk, etc. on rainy evenings. This is the sort of thing I'd leave home for solo trips, since my hammock tarp does just fine for that. MYOG occurred to me, though in my case it would be GMMG (grandmother make my gear) laugh Cost is my concern here. I'm not willing to spend very much for what amounts to a uni-tasker.

The final thing, but perhaps the thing I'd like the most, is a GPS. I want to get into some geo-cashing, and it would be nice to have a supplement (not replacement!) to my map and compass. Nothing will ever replace those two, but I think for the areas where I spend my time a GPS would be right handy. I've played around with apps for my BlackBerry, but it drains the battery too quickly and I can't find one I like.

I've looked at a Garmin eTrex H, as well as a couple others, online. It seems to me like what I want is one where I punch in a set of coordinates and it says "go that way x miles" or feet or whatever. I also want it to tell me where I am now. Downloadable maps would be awesome, too. I hike in forest mostly, if that matters. I played with a simple b/w screened GPS once as a class project in Geography 112, but that's about it. So any suggestions you have about a good unit are much appreciated.

Oh, and one last thing. I came here a complete newbie, and the wonderful folks on this forum have been so very helpful. Thank you. I know answering the same newbie questions over and over gets tiresome... y'all are good people. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Bear (02/20/11 08:17 PM)

#146714 - 02/20/11 08:25 PM Now I feel like an idiot... [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Now I feel like an idiot... I just answered all but my GPS questions...

#146715 - 02/20/11 08:27 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
lori Offline

1. Can't help you there, I take a blue foam square or nothing. Have been known to throw down my rain jacket to sit on the grass or a rock. I b'lieve NeoAir makes a sit pad, might check that out.

2. Why not a poncho with tie out loops? Plenty of those around. Tie off the hood and suspend between trees with cord, or use a long stick or extended trekking pole for a center pole.

3. Lots of options, the Garmin 60csx is the one I'm most familiar with as our SAR team uses them. It's one of the more fully featured ones, does everything you want plus some, and I've seen it on sale at Cabelas and REI for around $200 (full retail is listed to be $500). It works pretty well, have yet to lose a satellite signal (common complaint with a lot of GPS units). It's a battery pig, but I have yet to meet a GPS that isn't.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#146717 - 02/20/11 08:28 PM Re: Now I feel like an idiot... [Re: Barefoot Friar]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Bear
Now I feel like an idiot... I just answered all but my GPS questions...

Now you know how therapy really works! sometimes you just need someone to bounce it off of. goodjob

#146719 - 02/20/11 08:46 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: lori]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Thanks, Lori!

What kind of batteries does it use? Is it worth the extra cost to get a car charger?

(I'm guessing you mean this one: Garmin 60CSx at Amazon.)

#146721 - 02/20/11 08:56 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
lori Offline

That's the one. It's survived being dropped and dangled and tossed around pretty well. It uses AA batteries and you can get a bigger capacity SD card - we have a spare card taped in the battery compartment with all the maps duped on it just for backup.

I've uploaded/downloaded tracks a few times - works pretty well with the cable that I got with my Canon ELPH so did not need to buy a "special" USB cable.

#146722 - 02/20/11 08:58 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

The next is that I'd like a tarp to use as a kitchen/common area. I occasionally go on overnighters with several family members, and it would be good to have a common area to play cards, cook, talk, etc. on rainy evenings. This is the sort of thing I'd leave home for solo trips, since my hammock tarp does just fine for that. MYOG occurred to me, though in my case it would be GMMG (grandmother make my gear) laugh Cost is my concern here. I'm not willing to spend very much for what amounts to a uni-tasker.

Although I think you answered your question, I use my little integral designs silponcho for this - it's small but works well for this for a couple of people. I do have a bigger 10x12 silnylon job for serious group outings, but that's pretty much a uni-tasker.

I have actually been on a a number of trips where I've used the silponcho as raingear, packcover, kitchen tarp, and hammock ungerquilt a-la garrington insulator all in the same trip. smile
Browse my pictures

#146726 - 02/20/11 09:19 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: phat]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Phat: I was thinking about this one: Integral Designs Siltarp 2. Backcountry.com is out of stock, but Amazon has it for $135 and change, plus shipping. This is the sort of thing I'd take if hanging were not an option, or if setting up a base camp, or with the family trip I outlined above. The price is way beyond what I thought I wanted to spend, but from what I can see it may be worth it. I'll be looking around some more before I jump.

Lori: That sounds like just what I want, then. My BlackBerry uses a USB for charging and connecting to the computer, and if the ports are the same size then the car charger I have will work. If not, no biggie. I have used both Energizer Lithiums and the rechargeables in my camera, which is a power hog, and I like the lithiums better. They last much longer than both alkaline and rechargeables. Since both camera and GPS use the same size, taking spares is less of a hassle.

Thanks for your help so far!

#146727 - 02/20/11 09:42 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
lori Offline

FYI:
http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/cabling.html

There are three ports on the back of the unit. The USB-A to USB-B, the four pin Garmin and a very small one for an additional antenna. Pictures...
http://www.letsgomobile.org/en/review/0058/garmin-gpsmap-60csx/page2/

#146729 - 02/20/11 10:01 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: lori]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Aha! Thanks for the links, especially the second one. Very informative.

Looks like the maps for my area are an additional $108 from Amazon. Not too bad, considering I was thinking GPS + maps would run upwards of $400 or so. I'll do some looking around to see if I can find it cheaper anywhere.

#146733 - 02/20/11 10:55 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
phat Offline

Phat: I was thinking about this one: Integral Designs Siltarp 2. Backcountry.com is out of stock, but Amazon has it for $135 and change, plus shipping. This is the sort of thing I'd take if hanging were not an option, or if setting up a base camp, or with the family trip I outlined above. The price is way beyond what I thought I wanted to spend, but from what I can see it may be worth it. I'll be looking around some more before I jump.

You can probably find other 8x10 silicone tarps cheaper.

For that price you could buy two silponchos, and tie them together when you want the family size tarp, or use them individually (and multi-use) when you go smaller smile
Browse my pictures

#146734 - 02/20/11 11:01 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: phat]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Yeah I found Bill Stephenson's post about one he made for $25. That actually might do the trick.

#146735 - 02/20/11 11:19 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
phat Offline

That'll work too, although I"m not fond of plastic in high winds.

you could always try

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069
or
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20070

Browse my pictures

#146751 - 02/21/11 10:50 AM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: phat]
SockPuppet Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I like the look of that Equinox 10'X12', especially for $99. Does anyone have any personal experience with them? Like the OP, I'm looking for a "common area" cover when family backpacking.

#146756 - 02/21/11 02:43 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: SockPuppet]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country

#146758 - 02/21/11 03:05 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: RHodo]
phat Offline

that bargainoutfitters one is cheap! probably heavy as it says it's pu coated instead of silnylon, but still. 20 bucks is pretty inexpensive.
Browse my pictures

#146759 - 02/21/11 03:28 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I just got the Campmor (Equinox) 8x10 foot silnylon tarp, 14.0 oz. before seam sealing, $80. You only need to seam seal where the ties are sewn to the middle seam. That's probably about as cheap as you're going to get a silnylon tarp. I've been using a 6x8 foot tarp for several years and it's fine as a cooking/dining tarp for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids), but I need the bigger one now that my son's whole family (1 more adult and 1 more kid) will be going on trips.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/21/11 03:33 PM)

#146775 - 02/21/11 06:14 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey

The first is that I'd like a camp chair or sit pad. Now, I know I could get a blue Wally-world pad and cut it up. I've also looked at those foam stadium seats. But they're not quite what I'm looking for. Weight and comfort are my two issues, at the moment. Any suggestions?

I am not sure what sleeping pad you use, but I just recently bought a Thermarest Compak which turns a 20" wide Thermarest pad in to a chair using a sleeve type thing.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40787

Thought I would throw that out there. GL on your gear hunt.

#146780 - 02/21/11 07:16 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: GDeadphans]
footmobile Offline

While I like and still use my Garmin etrex vista, I now have a Delorme pn-40 (also a pn-30) After a huge learning curve at the computer, I find that I really like this thing. I also like the way it geocaches even though that is third or so on my list of what I do with it. The maps are great, I can download a lot of different styles from topo to aerial.
It is a battery hog but I have seen that the newer pn-60 is much more battery efficient than the older models.
They also sell a nice rechargeable battery for it.

#146786 - 02/21/11 07:40 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: RHodo]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By RHodo

There is a big thread about this tarp over on Hammock Forums.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16354&highlight=guide+gear+tarp

Yes it is heavy but the quality is good and the price is right. If you are not splitting ounces and need a lot of coverage this is the ticket. I love mine. It's more like $25 with shipping but still a great bargain. They go fast.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#146793 - 02/21/11 08:44 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: phat]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Just popped it on the scale. Just the tarp itself w/o the cords and stuff sack is 1 lb 11.4 oz.

Edited by RHodo (02/21/11 08:46 PM)

#146797 - 02/21/11 09:34 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: GDeadphans]
Barefoot Friar Offline

GDeadphans: I don't actually use a sleep pad. I have an ENO hammock, and with summer temps and humidity being what they are around here, I find I don't need/want one.

That being said, I found a Thermarest sit pad on Backcountry.com that looked interesting. Next time I'm in a brick-and-mortar store that has them, I'll give them a look to see if it's what I really want. I may also try MYOG.

RHodo: Now that looks like it might be something I'd be interested in. I'll give it a closer look when I have some time.

Thanks everyone for your help... any further info is always appreciated!

#146829 - 02/22/11 12:02 PM Re: Camp chairs, kitchen tarps, and GPS [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Bear,

Also take a gander at the Garmin Oregon 450. I find the bigger screen (than e.g., the etrex series) is a big help for navigating using base maps. While the more expensive 450T comes loaded with North American topographic base maps, the USGS 1:24k topo maps are now generally available on line for free and can be uploaded to the basic 450.

Happy shopping,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum