Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138671 - 09/12/10 02:24 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: JAK]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
JAK - (welcome back, by the way - haven't seen you post for a while!)

Have you ever read The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard? It's an account of his experiences with the Scott expedition in the Antarctic. He and a couple other guys took a side trip on skis for weeks in winter, sleeping in bags of caribou fur (if I am remembering correctly) that got heavier and stiffer with frozen condensation each night (temps got down to -77F). Every time I am cold in the mild SF bay area, I think about that book.

#138681 - 09/12/10 07:02 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: dkramalc]
JAK Offline

Thanks.

I've heard of such horror stories, even recent ones. We can get a few days in a row each winter with daytime highs of 10F and nighttime lows of -25F, but only 3-5 days in a row at most. Still wouldn't want to be caught in that unprepared. Imagine a day and night of freezing rain before that. Haven't checked out the statistics on that. At least we have some trees to burn here. Still, good in theory, but practice usually takes some practice. wink

Remember the scene in Never Cry Wolf where he falls through the ice after getting dropped off. Now that would be terrifying. smile

#146134 - 02/08/11 10:46 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: MoTiger]
Pitterpatter Offline

Loc: California
I prefer sleeping in the nude, especially since my guy and I zip our bags together, but there have been a couple of trips when it was so cold we kept our base layers on.
It all boils down to your own personal comfort. And no, that doesn't make you a freak. Anyone who thinks you a freak for that is the one with the problem.

#146143 - 02/09/11 10:06 AM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: Pitterpatter]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I do not sleep well in clothes. I have had to wear long johns and a fleece to bed when temp dipped way below my bag rating. I normally prefer just shorts or undies. As for dirt I carry a Kitchen sink. I cut the top off a Gallon milk jug and take a nice sponge bath after supper. This is better than slepping in my dirt! My long Johns wouldnt smell realgood to sleep in after hiking all day! I am a warm sleeper though.

#146167 - 02/09/11 05:05 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: dkramalc]
footmobile Offline

Originally Posted By dkramalc
JAK - (welcome back, by the way - haven't seen you post for a while!)

Have you ever read The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard? It's an account of his experiences with the Scott expedition in the Antarctic. He and a couple other guys took a side trip on skis for weeks in winter, sleeping in bags of caribou fur (if I am remembering correctly) that got heavier and stiffer with frozen condensation each night (temps got down to -77F). Every time I am cold in the mild SF bay area, I think about that book.

That book blew me away. His teeth were chattering so hard that he broke most of them. Just to grab a few penguin eggs. The part where his frostbite blisters freezing was brutal too.
I don't do clothes either as my girl just mentioned above.

#146343 - 02/13/11 07:18 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: footmobile]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Get a room! grin

Just teasing.

In summer, I use a lighter bag (or even a bag liner), and I sleep in just my undies. In winter, I wear longjohns and socks, and occasionally a toboggan. I've yet to experiment with bag liner and clothes inside my bag, but from what I've read it won't make much difference. If you compress the insulation too much it won't work right so you'll end up colder.

#146345 - 02/13/11 07:38 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: Barefoot Friar]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"I've yet to experiment with bag liner and clothes inside my bag, but from what I've read it won't make much difference. If you compress the insulation too much it won't work right so you'll end up colder."

I'm not a big fan of a bag liner for warmth (might make sense to keep the bag clean, but IMO doesn't do that much relative to the weight and hassle factor for warmth).

But I do like to augment my sleeping bag rating with insulated clothing that I'm carrying (and wearing) anyway. Just under a year ago I was using a down parka inside my 20F rated sleeping bag to sleep comfortably down into the teens --- I'm completely certain that it made a big difference, given that my sleeping bag was sufficiently large that it didn't constrain the insulation of the parka.

I'm do think that if the only criteria is to have a warmer sleeping bag for X weight, then it's more efficient to put all of that weight into the sleeping bag insulation. But given that we often want some relatively warm clothing too, it only makes sense to me to factor that in when selecting the sleeping bag.

#146367 - 02/14/11 01:03 AM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: BrianLe]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By BrianLe

I'm do think that if the only criteria is to have a warmer sleeping bag for X weight, then it's more efficient to put all of that weight into the sleeping bag insulation. But given that we often want some relatively warm clothing too, it only makes sense to me to factor that in when selecting the sleeping bag.

I normally do just as you are doing, and augment the bag with warm clothing. it often means I'm carrying a lighter bag..

But I have thought long and hard about this - my *clothing* is proabably heavier than a warmer bag. - so just suppose for a minute that instead of carrying two merinos and a fleece, in addition to my walking around clothing, I only carried one merino, my long johns, and resolved to dive into my (warmer) bag when I got cold..

I know the difference between my -3C and my -15C rated bag for weight is a lot less than the weight of that clothing.. which I don't wear when I am moving around... If I'm content to hike all day and just dive into the bag at night - food for thought..

Browse my pictures

#146389 - 02/14/11 12:59 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: phat]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"so just suppose for a minute that instead of carrying two merinos and a fleece, in addition to my walking around clothing, I only carried one merino, my long johns, and resolved to dive into my (warmer) bag when I got cold.."

I think we're seeing this exactly the same, just articulating it slightly differently. My point here is that the one merino and one set of long johns you are going to be wearing can be factored in when deciding how warm a bag you need on that trip.
For a person that is relatively more willing to "hop into the bag" when cold, the "worn" warmth layers can indeed be reduced. OTOH, for a person who prefers, or for a situation that demands relatively more warm clothing, then the weight hit from that can at least be somewhat offset by a lighter bag.

That, of course, assumes sufficient granularity of choices between various sleeping bag options at home --- something that more normal (sane) people likely have less of! :-)

#146442 - 02/15/11 09:36 AM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: BrianLe]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
[quote]
That, of course, assumes sufficient granularity of choices between various sleeping bag options at home --- something that more normal (sane) people likely have less of! :-)

- Normal people don't sit around on the internet buying gear all day...

- Oh really?.. ready normal people...

The internet is for gear..
The internet is for gear...

(Think Avenue Q people...)

Browse my pictures

#146447 - 02/15/11 10:21 AM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yeah, it doesn't take nearly all day - you can order 3 sleeping bags and 2 tents in less than an hour... crazy

#146481 - 02/15/11 09:28 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: BrianLe]
Barefoot Friar Offline

My factor isn't so much where I use my insulation as much as it is where I use my money and how many items I have. I own three sleeping bags. One was purchased for "camping out" in my parents' living room when I go to visit. It is a heavy, rectangular bag that may or may not keep me warm down to +25 or so. I will probably never take it out, unless it's an overnight car camp. The second bag is a North Face down-filled which I got from a friend. I haven't cleaned it or tried it out yet, but it is a long, and I am short, so I am not overly hopeful.

The third bag is a Coleman +20 (which means +30-35, right?), which I got on clearance for $5. With synthetic longjohns, in a hammock but no tarp, I got it down to +15 with only cold toes. I think that, were I to add a layer of insulation below the bag (between bag and hammock), my tarp, a pair of socks, and a toboggan, I could get it down to +10 or perhaps even +5. Crazy, I know, but I can't deny what the thermometer said that morning. I've had it out in +25-30 temps with no problems, either.

The thing is, even though I know that there are some really great down bags out there, I cannot justify plunking down the Benjamins for one, when I have one that will do what I want. Also my usual haunts are rarely that cold. In summer it *might* get down to 85 at night, which means I won't even be taking a bag. Just a light blanket and a sheet. If I think I need to get it down colder, I can either take an additional layer of clothing, or maybe a bag liner (which serves the dual purpose of being a warm-weather bag -- a win-win for me).

From what I've read, bag liners are more hassle than help. So I may buy one for a warm-weather bag, and experiment with it in my back yard come winter.

Just my two cents. That an a couple dollars will buy you a mocha latte. wink

#146580 - 02/17/11 08:09 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Having survived a night at -40 in the open at altitude in a light sleeping bag and snowmobile suit, I now have the attitude of carrying MORE vs less sleeping bag. blush I HATE to be cold in my sleeping bag. So anyway this is what I do, YMMV: WM Super Kodiak cool

Getting into my bag is a process. First I may need to get in with everything I have on and wait to warm up. grin I basically prefer to sleep completely unencumbered at home (Read nude), but in a tent I do wear a light pair of insulated long underwear and a fleece jacket and sleeping gloves and balaclava. thats all

I then get out and pull off my down bibs and tuck them under my head, then I have to get the underpants off and the longunderwear back on which generally means another dive into the bag to warm up. Then its time to remove the big coat and strip down to a thin warm layer on top and then the final dive into the bag. grin grin grin no socks... A quality sleeping bag should keep your legs and feet toasty warm without socks. In fact if your feet are cold in the footsak of a mummy bag it means the blood getting to your feet is cold: Insulate your legs more, but put your big down jacket over your sleeping bag in extreme cold to insulate your torso. smile For that matter a cord tied lightly around your sleeping bag say just above your knees, will make your bag warmer by dividing it up into compartments that closes off drafts inside your sleeping bag. smile been there, done that...
The only requirement for my system to work is a pee bottle. If I had to get out of the tent in the night I would wear the down bibs to bed, then reach for my big coat, put it on, dive into the bag and when I was warm I would get out and put my boots on and leave the tent.

I'm not certain that thick leg insulation as in pants or bibs, actually makes you warm because your legs can't warm each other up. I'd rather pull the down bibs into the bag to take up air space and add insulation, say behind my back, especially in extreme winds.
Jim

#146583 - 02/17/11 08:23 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: Jimshaw]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Jimshaw,

Maybe instead of thick leg insulation in pants or bibs you need to buy an insulated skirt instead...

They are all the fashion rage here in Fairbanks... grin

#146594 - 02/17/11 10:30 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
Jimshaw,

Maybe instead of thick leg insulation in pants or bibs you need to buy an insulated skirt instead...

Gad, he'd fit right in when he goes hiking with bigfoot... smile

Browse my pictures

#146614 - 02/18/11 01:45 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: phat]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Heather-ak
Jimshaw,

Wow, they even have mini's.

#146794 - 02/21/11 08:54 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: skcreidc]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I wonder if you can get a down filled skirt with a long, fold down cuff, down filled lower with a zipper that will go around the feet to make a sleeping bag, and a zip off mini dress for those fun times in camp... grin it looks more useful to me than a tartan. confused and reasonabley priced too...
Jim laugh

#146798 - 02/21/11 10:31 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: Jimshaw]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Remind me never to go hiking with y'all. shocked

#146800 - 02/21/11 10:42 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: Barefoot Friar]
lori Offline

I dunno, it could be worse.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#146840 - 02/22/11 01:36 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Back to the question of clothes in the sleeping bag: Just a note that the EU's EN13537 ratings assume the sleeper (a test dummy) is wearing a base layer and a knit hat inside the bag. For 10-20* F bags, they also assume a sleeping pad with an R value of 5 (warmer than most 3-season pads). Of course most of us are not "average," and hopefully none of us are dummies!
lol

#146843 - 02/22/11 02:07 PM Re: clothes or no clothes in the sleeping bag [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
"Hopefully none of us are dummies..."

It all depends on the day, the trail, and the weather... smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum