Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144797 - 01/13/11 12:17 PM Gore-tex mitten Shell
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
I was thinking of purchasing some Gore mittens that are on sale at cabelas and cut out the lining so its just a shell. Mittens with removable lining seem to be a lot more expensive and don't quite understand why. Seems it would be easier to make. Anyhow is there any reason why I shouldn't or is there a place that just sells the goretex shells?

Thanks.

#144807 - 01/13/11 01:44 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: Cesar]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Campmor, and REI both sell shells. I like having just the shell as well. Then I can customize the inside to my liking.

I just tried looking online and couldn't find any at those sites. But, I have been in REI and found some. There is also a local store that sells them as well.

Edited by finallyME (01/13/11 01:52 PM)

#144808 - 01/13/11 02:59 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: Cesar]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Never done anything like this; but I just wanted to say that there could be cheaper mittens out there for a DIY project. Just taking a quick look on Geartrade and REI Outlet there seems to be a couple of alternatives for under $30.

I mean for $35, I would rather spend the extra 10 bucks and purchase a pair of MLD's eVENT rain mitts.

#144820 - 01/13/11 04:42 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: ChrisFol]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I have a pair of OR mitt shells made out of this stuff-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SympaTex

I don't see them on their website anymore, but someone must make a simple shell that won't entail buying something and cutting it up. I think I got mine from someone here a few years ago and they weren't very much.

#144834 - 01/13/11 08:44 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: TomD]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I was looking hard for shell mitts 3 years ago and had no luck at all. I understand that Outdoor Research discontinued their shells shortly before I started looking. I ended up with the MLD Rain Mitts which work fine (need seam sealing, sealer comes with the mitts). They are a bit delicate, though. ULA made some for a while, but they were discontinued after Brian Frankle sold the company.

I'm really surprised that someone hasn't come forward to fill the gap! Separate shells and inners are so much easier to dry if they get wet inside, and if they are separate you can always change the inners! You can also wear your choice of inners depending on the weather and circumstances!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/13/11 08:46 PM)

#144841 - 01/13/11 09:27 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: OregonMouse]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Thats true, the mld EVent mitts are only 45$. Well actually I have a surplus goretex pants that I never liked how they fit so may cut those and try a diy project using the thruhiker mitten pattern. The mld mitts seem to use the same pattern with a slight curve. Seems simple enough, hopefully. ill try it this weekend. smile

#144869 - 01/14/11 03:10 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: OregonMouse]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
A local store makes these (http://www.akgear.com/hats-mitts.html - Overmitts), but at a hefty price! $60! I bought them when they were about half the price (and I thought they were too expensive then - and I will say they do last forever.)

I also have a pair that were made cheaply that I've ripped to shreds that I found at the local grocery store.

Heather

#144906 - 01/15/11 12:08 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Well, I use an overmitt only typically, and have layers of wool underneath. normally a ragg wool glove, and if really cold another ragg wool mitten.

The overmitts I use have waterproof palms but just a regular nylon exterior to shed snow - For my purposes I don't actually like a gore tex exterior because I use them in cold and snow, not wet environments. I find goretex or rain mitts just sweat inside. the plain old nylon ones are cheap, and for what I use them for do the job better than a goretex one, imo.

I got mine at MEC, but I can't find them online.. they were about 10 bucks.

Gore is nice for *rainy* and wet, around freezing.

Browse my pictures

#144949 - 01/16/11 01:10 AM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: Cesar]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
The reason why you shouldn't perform surgery on an insulated mitten is that an insulated Gore-tex mitten is made completely differently than a Gore-tex shell mitten. the insulated ones are built using a mitten-shaped membrane that is inserted between the outer shell and the insulation - this means they don't have to tape the seams to gt it waterproof. As hell mitten, on the other hand, is taped. so if you cut the lining out of the insulated mitten you have the fragile membrane exposed and it won't wear well or work well.
REI has these: http://www.rei.com/product/787289
I have some outdoor research shells that I like, they came with a removeable glove that I don't use with the shells but sometimes use on its own. They might be the saem as the Latitude Mitts that they currently sell, although those seem a lot more expensive than mine were just a few years ago.
Making your own is pretty easy , but sealing the seams on your own is not. I used homemade shells for years, until the one trip where I got soaked due to the non-sealed seams. I went right out and got the OR shells and I'm glad I did.

#144971 - 01/16/11 02:14 PM Re: Gore-tex mitten Shell [Re: phat]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The overmitts I use have waterproof palms but just a regular nylon exterior to shed snow

I sewed myself a pair of shell mittens using some polyurethane-coated nylon I "repurposed" from a tent footprint I bought for $0.89 at REI-Outlet. I am not much of a hand with sewing, but I can do really simple stuff. Mittens are simple. I just made my pattern by drawing around my hands on newspaper.

They aren't quite waterproof because I haven't ever bothered to seal the seams, but they do what I want them to do. They weigh just 18 grams for the pair!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com