Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145047 - 01/18/11 09:31 AM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: OregonMouse]
vawallflower Offline

Loc: Virginia
I for one don't find the normal doggy aroma offensive. Normal, I say. Now if they find something exciting to roll in, that's another story!

#145049 - 01/18/11 09:43 AM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: Howie]
vawallflower Offline

Good idea. I'm gonna take her turtle that she sleeps with and maybe it will help her be comfortable. As far as a backpack, smart energetic and working dogs enjoy having a a job. Carrying her food and such gives her something to do. We'll build up slowly on walks and hikes. Empty pack the first few times, very light weight building up to the amount she needs for out backpacking trip. I think shes gonna love it.

#145050 - 01/18/11 11:23 AM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: Howie]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Many of us, me included, anthropomorphize and project our own attitudes onto our canine companions. I'll bet that lady needs a better fitting pack....

#145052 - 01/18/11 01:01 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: vawallflower]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I know my dogs in the past, after a day or two, associate their pack with "we're moving, let's go!". Funny, in the AM, when I'm packed up and about to go, if I even get close to their pack, they are right over there, waiting to be saddled up. smile Come on Dad!

#145058 - 01/18/11 04:28 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: hikerduane]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Mine has the identical reaction. Of course, my eyes brighten when I reach for my pack, too.

#145060 - 01/18/11 05:31 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My Hysson starts jumping up and down and barking when he sees his pack!

#145074 - 01/18/11 09:57 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Too funny. Due to my work situation, I can't have a dog since Pooch passed on seven years ago. I know the last couple years, it just isn't the same without him.

#145079 - 01/19/11 09:53 AM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: hikerduane]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
You guys brought back some good memories. It was hard for my friend to stand still long enough for the pack to be put on... thanks

FB

#145080 - 01/19/11 10:30 AM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I finally bought a pack for Kaya. I bought it at the same time I got her a pulling harness (Christmas present). She isn't convinces she likes it yet. I make sure and put it on her every time we go out for a walk or something, even if it is empty. That way she associates the pack with walking/running/hiking.

#145088 - 01/19/11 12:39 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: finallyME]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
So what kind of pack did you get FinallyME? And, as a side note, are you a Bob Marley fan (Kaya)?

Speaking of fun with dogs, last night my sleep was interrupted about every 2 hours as my dog squeaked that she wanted to go outside where she threw up and had bouts of diarrhea. This usually means she found something nasty to eat in the back yard. She had been acting lethargic in the evening. To take it easy on her this morning, I took her to a REALLY BIG dog park where you can essentially be alone. She finally got it all out this morning...then started acting bossy to other dogs coming up to her (I can sniff you but you can't sniff me, marking over other dogs spots). Back to normal.

sk 4 cups of coffee and a dose of sarcasm then I am ready to get started

Taking this thread to new directions...

#145090 - 01/19/11 12:54 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: skcreidc]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
My dog barfed in my tent once when I couldn't get the zipper open in time. She was pretty frantic to get out but just couldn't hold it. One day she barfed up a blue kitchen sponge that someone left laying around after doing dishes. A few days later there was a dog dropping in the yard with blue sponge in it. I have to be relly careful taking her near campsites because people who car camp will leave anything laying around from broken glass to Macdonalds food wrappers. Mostly where I walk my dog is by one of the local streams and where do people go to car camp? Where I walk my dog. Did I mention that she loves to eat paper with food smells on it? All of our garbage cans have lids as shes like a racoon that way. When the dog droppings in the yard are full of paper I know I have a
leak" somewhere.
Jim

#145093 - 01/19/11 01:10 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Yikes! Passing a blue sponge...you mean the scrubbing sided ones? Talk about a colon cleanse! Your lucky your dog didn't get a blockage. We have a friend who's husky eats tennis balls. She has had 2 operations for blockages.

Hey Jim(shaw)! Have you gotten any snow, or has it been rain snow mix?

sk

Edited by skcreidc (01/19/11 01:12 PM)

#145095 - 01/19/11 01:20 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: skcreidc]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
sk
we got about 1/2 inch of snow in town last night with little else predicted. Its been really warm - hit 54 degrees 2 days ago and the ground thawed enough to get some plants into the new garden.

Mt Bachelor got 3 inches in last 12 hours, 5 in last 72 with over 6 feet of base. Thats 2300 feet above my house, but now I live ten miles from the old house, it will take me 45 mintes to be on a skilift at the downhill area.

Yep passed a sponge, but it wasn't the plastic scratchy kind, just plain blue. She was a bit lethargic, probably had soap in it. I have considered a muzzle, and I wonder if it would prevent her from eating garbage? Why can't people with a vehicle carry away their garbage?

Soapbox on : The worst messiest campsites with jars and cans of stuff left behind in the wilderness are ALL from horse campers. No one else has the resources to get that garbage that far in. Soapbox off.
Jim

#145097 - 01/19/11 01:26 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Stay on the box! There are too many people using the back country for anybody to be a slob. The sloppy few are going to ruin it for everybody else in their group.

I'm hoping you and da FOOT have a good snow trip (and post pics of your setups).

sk

#145098 - 01/19/11 01:41 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: skcreidc]
NorthTxHillbilly Offline

Loc: North Central Texas
When I car camp I take a trash bag with me and pick up all the junk I find around my spot as soon as I start to make camp. And I take all of my own trash home with me since its usually next to nothing. I car camp a lot on the LBJ Grasslands near one of the horse trails and you're right, Jim, there is usually more garbage in those types of areas. But its only 20 minutes away and makes for a convenient last minute camping spot. We just gotta watch out for the horse manure.

#145174 - 01/20/11 02:00 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: skcreidc]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
So what kind of pack did you get FinallyME? And, as a side note, are you a Bob Marley fan (Kaya)?

I got her one from Black Ice. I bought it the same time as her harness. It has a separate harness and bag like the Ruff Wear Palisades, except for half the price. For her name, I got her when she was 4 years old. I didn't think I should change her name and confuse her.

#145178 - 01/20/11 02:26 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: finallyME]
skcreidc Offline

Sounds like a deal to me. It is so easy to drop a lot of money on "specialty" items. I tried a lot of different booties with Tica. Some as much as $45 a set of 4 and nothing worked until I found these solid piece leather ones. (I returned everything else). They were $12 for four and now I make slightly modified ones for a buck or so. Great for when she tears her feet up (and its dry).

sk

#145217 - 01/21/11 09:32 AM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: finallyME]
vawallflower Offline

About the pack, which model did you get? Ruca is a fairly lean pitt at 58 lbs. I cant decide which size and am hoping for some feed back from you on the fit. She's tall and long I'm not sure if the small will be ok. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Tried to upload a pic, although I am technologically savvy, I can't figure it out!

#145235 - 01/21/11 01:43 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: vawallflower]
skcreidc Offline

Call Black Ice up. Phone Number is on their web site. I got Tica's harness through them; they seem real nice.

sk

#145240 - 01/21/11 01:57 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: vawallflower]
finallyME Offline

I got the explorer II medium. My dog is 70 lbs and it fits her perfectly. Of course, they are experienced with malamutes, so the pack was made for them. I would call them up about what size to get. They will probably ask you to measure the dog. Of course, you have to call them anyways to order, so.....

Edited by finallyME (01/21/11 01:58 PM)

#145592 - 01/30/11 03:28 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: finallyME]
Sorthum Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey, California
Getting back into camping with the wife and two weasel-dogs later next month. Growing up with "real" dogs, it was a blast camping with them. Unfortunately, the current dogs are a ten pound chihuahua and a twenty pound terrier, so it's rather unlikely that they'll be able to carry anything!

#145654 - 01/31/11 05:08 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: Sorthum]
skcreidc Offline

You could always try to rig up something out of two small baggies and some duct tape. grin (If you try this, do NOT apply duct tape directly to dog). Theoretically, it could carry its own food for a couple days.

sk

Edited by skcreidc (01/31/11 05:10 PM)

#148190 - 03/23/11 05:04 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: vawallflower]
Chicagojosh Offline

Loc: Chicago
advise in general.

-buy him a Ruffwear Palisades pack. best dog pack I've ever had and it has it's own hydration bladders!

-bring a sleeping pad for him

-Keep up on Tick Checks. all the ticks from Cody ended up on me by morning frown

-bring a bone for him to chew during downtime at camp

-get a glow in the dark collar for night time. otherwise all you'll see is his eyes glowing

#148192 - 03/23/11 05:30 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: Howie]
Chicagojosh Offline

Loc: Chicago
haha the teddy bear cracks me up!

My dog is a working line German Shepherd. working line shepherds are supposed to have a job. herding, protection, Search and rescue etc.. for them to be truely happy.

my trainer said having Cody wear a pack and lug his own food will most certainly be viewed by him as a job and hence a great thing for both of us...not sure that that applies to any other dogs, but thought i'd throw it out there

Originally Posted By Howie
My Rebel likes to sleep with his teddy bear. When we go backpacking overnight I strap Teddy to his pack. I figure that would allay any illusions a person may have about him being ferocious.

One thing I have found is that there are some people out there that seem to think it is cruel to make a dog wear a backpack. Most folks think it is a good idea so he can carry his own water and such, but it seems not everyone sees it that way. I overheard one lady say “what a shame”.

Howie

haha

#148193 - 03/23/11 06:15 PM Re: Dogs and tents [Re: vawallflower]
Al Paca Offline

Loc: Oakland, CA
I haven't had a chance to read through this tread in it's entirety yet and I'm sure you got lots of great advice so far but I'd thought I chime in w/ two cents anyway.

My pup comes along w/ me every time I head for the trail as long as I'm not visiting a restrictive park. As far as being inside the tent, he hasn't been much of an issue. He does have long nails(I leave them long so he has a better grip climbing steep terrain) but our tent is so snug that once it has two bags in it there isn't much tent floor exposed. If he's particularly dirty, I put down a small pack towel in the vetibule and he's pretty happy w/ it. He's only 35lbs so he fits well.

I bought him an REI dog pack last year and it's worked out fairly well. W/ this he can carry both of his collapsible food and water bowls and about 5 days food. The pack isn't close to waterproof so keeping the food in a couple of 2 liter Sea To Summit dry sacks is what I've had to do. Ziplocks just weren't cutting it. After a jump into water, shake and roll in the dirt, the bags would bust open.
Also the pack would have to have balanced loads in each side. The straps like to slip when wet and soon the pack would dip to one side. I'm sure this is uncomfortable.

You might want to get little booties as well. After a long day for the pooch on rough terrain, unconditioned pads will become raw and irritated. My pup would show reluctance w/ these at first but I'd slip them on later on in the day only when I had to. The REI ones could be a little finicky too so you'd have to keep an eye on them. They might fall off if not put on correctly.

And last, rattlesnakes are always a concern on hot days in rocky areas. If you have a particularly rambunctious or inquisitive pooch you may want to keep them on leash in these conditions. There is a rattlesnake "vaccine" but it basically only works to slow down the effects of venom long enough to get them to a vet. Unlike most snake bite regarding people, they're most certainly a death sentence for dogs. And if you're out far enough, a vet is out of the question.

I think in Virgina you guys have Cotton Mouths? Maybe Water Moccasins? Either one, both are worse than rattlesnakes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum