Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144293 - 01/03/11 04:42 PM Overnight Snow in the Canyon
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I finally got a chance to head to the hills and do some winter camping.
I put this in the winter camping and not trip reports because it has nothing to do with lightweight backpacking and more to do with winter camping. This is also the first time I took my son winter camping. The trip was meant as more of a learning experience and as such was close to home and not very long while I tried some things out.
My original plan was to go on Monday. But I couldn't find a good place to go with enough snow. However, on Wednesday December 29th, Utah was hit with a good winter storm, and we got lots of snow. So, I grabbed my stuff, my son and my dog and pulled the sled into a good spot.

Here is the sled I used. It is one I made with 2 downhill skiis mounted to 2X4's and plywood. I made it last year with the scouts.

The sled proved to not be as good as I hoped. More on that later.

Here is my son next to the sled after we pulled it to our camping spot.

The canyon we went to has a gate at the entrance. In the summer, it is a well used canyon with RV's and car campers. However, because of the gate, only snowmobiles and hikers can get into it. You can still camp, you just have to walk. Luckily for us, snowmobiles had packed the fresh powder. We dragged the sled on the packed trail fairly easily. However, once we hit the powder, the sled became a boat anchor. I decided to camp about 1/4 mile from the gate due to laziness. We stopped at a nice RV site with picnic tables and lots of snow.

Here are some deer we saw.

My dog tried to chase them, but they were way too far, and she soon realized she couldn't get them. Silly dog.

Here is a picture of me. This is the best I can do with an 8 yr old taking it.

I am wearing a wool blanket jacket my wife sewed for me, mil surplus wool pants, army cold weather boots (not extreme cold weather mickies) and some OR gaitors. The wool clothing proved to be very warm and comfortable. It shed the cold fluffy snow well, and also did a good job blocking the wind. And, of course, it breathed exceptionally.

Here is our campsite in the morning.

I used an 8X10 tarp for a shelter. It snowed all night with a good 2 ft accumulation. The overnight temps were between 10 and 20F. For sleeping gear, my son used 3 sleeping bags two sleeping pads, and my army gortex bivy. He was perfect under the tarp. I didn't have another bivy, and just used my normal winter bag. Both of us were very warm, however, I got a lot of snow drift on my bag during the night. If I had gone for two nights, I would have had to do some serious drying. I think I pitched the tarp too high. I also think a bigger tarp would have been better.

The next morning, we had a hard time pulling the sled through 2 ft of powder. It took me a good 3 hours to travel 1/4 mile. The sled did not float at all. I probably loaded too much as well, but I had to pack for two. I definitely need a sled that floats on powder better.

My daughter got a new camera for Christmas and I didn't realize she took pictures of loading us up to go home. These are all taken inside the van by a 9 yr old.

I got my dog a carting harness from Black Ice. It is the same as a freight harness (has the spreader bar in the back), with the addition of a chest strap with loops for the cart bars. I want her to pull a cart in the summer and this way I only need one harness. I ordered it the Saturday before Christmas and received it the 23rd. That was fast.

Another thing I learned is that if I want good pictures and video of me, I need a tripod and not rely on an 8 yr old.

Edited by finallyME (01/03/11 04:53 PM)

#144294 - 01/03/11 04:54 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
Loomis Offline

Loc: Milwaukie, Oregon USA
Looks like a great trip! I love the picture of your son next to the sled. He looks like a real trooper.

#144298 - 01/03/11 05:44 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: Loomis]
Richardvg03 Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
What part of Utah is this? I'm headed to Canyonlands next Monday.

Your base on your sled needs to be much wider or your platform needs to be higher off the ground... one of the other. The front of your sled is catching all the snow obviously. Think about putting a piece of tin on the bottom and bending it to form a sled bottom? Just throwing ideas out there.

Already getting notifications to be more "gentle"..?? smile

#144304 - 01/03/11 06:32 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
"The next morning, we had a hard time pulling the sled through 2 ft of powder. It took me a good 3 hours to travel 1/4 mile. The sled did not float at all."

Thanks, I've been trying to warn people that home made sleds and any heavy sled becomes an anchor in fresh snow. This happened to me about 2 miles in one January. My friend broke trail and I dragged the sled behind her and my tracks, but it wasn't enough. It was a drag...

Looks like you had a good time though. Maybe get those kids some photography lessons.
Jim smile

#144307 - 01/03/11 07:02 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I think he took excellent pictures!

As an aside - looks like REI will now ship the Paris Company Expedition Sled for $15 (plus the $40 for the sled itself). (http://www.rei.com/product/609482) - if I remember correctly, it used to be only to REI stores. They are back-ordered right now, though =(.

I had the ski-jor harness from Black Ice - it outlasted the dog. (he was adult when he was found, though) - excellent workmanship.

Heather

#144325 - 01/03/11 10:39 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: Richardvg03]
finallyME Offline

All of Utah was hit pretty hard with snow and very cold temps. I am just west of Salt Lake City. The canyon I went to was a mile from my home. I was about to pull the sled on the road from my house, but the plows beat me to it, so my wife dropped me off. A lot of our snow was lake effect. I doubt that Canyonlands will have a lot of snow. But don't quote me.

#144326 - 01/03/11 10:42 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: Heather-ak]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you can order enough stuff to get to $75, REI ships free. They always did ship to you; the only reason for having things shipped to the store is to get free shipping if the total order is less than $75.

#144327 - 01/03/11 10:43 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: Heather-ak]
finallyME Offline

I saw some similar sleds at a local store for $25. I definitely need a light one that floats. I think it needs to be around 6-8 ft long.

#144331 - 01/03/11 10:53 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Unless going along sidehills, why not get a plastic toboggan? Too much gear on it for two people? Many use them as a rigged up pulk.

#144341 - 01/03/11 11:26 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: hikerduane]
Jimshaw Offline

Wow, I paid over $300 for my mountainsmith sled, maybe 20 years ago. I used a lot of kids sleds, but I started losing gear over board when they flipped over, and they will, so I got a good one - they're now Kifaru. Just be aware that performance always comes at a price. Don't get a system that is too sloppy for your purposes.

OTOH a really light sled strapped onto the back of a pack can be pulled like a sled when the going is easy, and picked up and carried when it would take less energy than pulling it.
Jim

#144342 - 01/03/11 11:32 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: Jimshaw]
Jimshaw Offline

Finally me

Hey its the narrow runners. I'm sure they just bit through the soft snow. My Mountainsmith sled is flat bottomed. Yours might have worked better flpped over, but I think maybe the tobaggon concept or the "slippery piece of plastic as tobaggon" concept, might be better for your purposes because it has the float for powder. The Canadians use them.

Runners are great where the snow is compact as they are fast and can go in straight line. Then theres the old skis for runners idea and they come in all sizes and widths - anyway have fun with it and it sounds like you're outfitting a platoon. smile
Jim.

#144346 - 01/04/11 12:55 AM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Great Trip Report! looks like you both had a lot of fun!.

Love the blanket coat - I'm actually jealous of that smile

Originally Posted By Jimshaw

OTOH a really light sled strapped onto the back of a pack can be pulled like a sled when the going is easy, and picked up and carried when it would take less energy than pulling it.
Jim

This is actually what I typically use - a light orange pelican sled lashed to the back of an MEC expetion pack. wiht a cover tarp when it's not being used as a backpack. if I get into deadfall and crap I can pick it up and carry it as a backpack, and most of the time I can drag it like a sled.

orange kid sleds work pretty good if you do three things:

1) don't overload them, and put the weight at the bottom, or they tip.

2) tarp your load - if you do tip it you don't want it full of snow.

3) add a couple little bars of angle iron or aluminum to the back with pop rivits to keep if from sliding sideways.

I don't use runnered sleds because in my kind of snow they will dig in like that.

If you ski with it, you may need to consider poles ot pull it pulk style so you don't have the sled running you over. as I snowshoe I don't bother, it's eaiser to deal with ropes for me.

Edited by phat (01/04/11 12:56 AM)
Browse my pictures

#144372 - 01/04/11 01:20 PM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Nice tip finallyME! Your son looks like he had a great time with his dad.

On your sled...It might be your driveway but the runners look warped slightly concave down. They probably need to be ever so slightly concave up with a bit more blend at the leading edge. Also, just like skies, longer runners will run better. Actually, the idea of using old skies on the flats sounds functional.

Edited by skcreidc (01/04/11 01:27 PM)

#144783 - 01/13/11 01:07 AM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
finallyME Offline

Well, I finally decided to try this Youtube thing out. I made my first video about this trip.

Video

#144785 - 01/13/11 01:32 AM Re: Overnight Snow in the Canyon [Re: finallyME]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Good job with the video. Check out the tobaggans on wintertrekking. Most are homemade from sheets of 1/4 inch plastic with wooden pieces screwed onto them for cross pieces.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com