Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144263 - 01/02/11 09:15 PM What's your weak link?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
While snow shoeing in this weekend for a two night overnighter which turned into just one night, I was thinking about gear, right material, multi-use etc., conditioning. My weakest point I think, is that perfect shirt or parka/jacket, basically bp clothing. I have gotten by for years, slowly adding a piece of clothing every once in a while. Seems I can't spring for that nice hard/soft shell parka that someone raves about. It's just so darn expensive. May be just me and if I'm getting by, may only be an envy issue. What's your weak link, finding the trailhead, map reading, tent location?:)

#144264 - 01/02/11 10:02 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
Richardvg03 Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
Over estimating my speed and my physical abilities... seeing that I am a disabled veteran who once was in amazing shape and could take over the world... it takes me a while to remind myself that I am definitely disabled even at my young age of 26 hahaha!

Already getting notifications to be more "gentle"..?? smile

#144272 - 01/03/11 05:32 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Richardvg03]
hikerduane Offline

My age and trying to do what I was doing 5-10 years ago bugs me. Gotta tell myself I'm older now can't do what I used to do in my forties. Not accepting my age yet. High note, this Fall, I had my biggest mileage day ever, 20-22 miles on the PCT close to home. Not a high elevation trip, so sucking air was not a factor.

#144273 - 01/03/11 06:05 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Age - it's relentless. For a while I could deny its effects, but it is catching up......

#144274 - 01/03/11 07:25 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Ditto age. My next task, after this response, is to email my 30 year-old buddy to cancel a trip because, at 60, I can no longer do a 4-day winter trip: the load is too heavy, and I don't have the confidence in my ability to stay warm that I once had; and since the trip has no bail-out options... (I'm going to do a shorter 2-day trip locally that does have such options, and test where my limits now are.)

#144285 - 01/03/11 02:33 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

My weakest link is finding enough time and resources to go as often as I would like to smile
Browse my pictures

#144299 - 01/03/11 05:46 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'd have to agree with y'all. I'm still doing pretty good, but it ain't the same as when I was 30.

And it's really been tough for me the past two years to find the time to head out too. I'm working on that.

I make due with the gear I have, and it gets a little better each year, but I don't think I'll ever have a very impressive gear list. I have too much other stuff to maintain (spend money on) for that.

There it is, that's my weak link right there. Too much stuff laugh

"You want to go where?"

#144303 - 01/03/11 06:25 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
My weakest link - finding people who are interested in going camping, or climbing. Geez I live in Central Oregon in the middle of some of the best recreation in the country and people are scared to use it. They won't do anything that "might" be dangerous. People from here do not camp. Why - when they can look out the window at mountains and pine trees? In 5 years I have found one cross country ski buddy. Winter sports are not what the locals do - they fish and drink. Trying to get people to snowshoe, ski, climb, canoe, kayak, even hike, is very difficult, yet people come from all over to do that here. The locals wear cotton hoodies and levis when its 7 degrees out, like this morning.
Jim

#144312 - 01/03/11 07:41 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I've been having the same problem has JimShaw. I have a bunch of friends that enjoy day hikes and quick overnighters....but when it comes to backpacking for more than 2 nights its a different story. A lot of the times when I generate plans to do a > 2 night trip it almost always falls through for various reasons. I am left by myself. Although I have to say the few that didn't really have the appropriate gear have built up there backpacking gear repertoire this year and seem more in to it. So we will see what this year holds. It's still very enjoyable though, but I love enjoying the great outdoors in good company.

#144320 - 01/03/11 10:13 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By JimShaw
My weakest link - finding people who are interested in going camping, or climbing. Geez I live in Central Oregon in the middle of some of the best recreation in the country and people are scared to use it.

Jim, that is so true. I won't go into it here much, but I have been feeling the same thing. I'm planning a trip to the Leatherwood Wilderness at the end of this month and you'd think I was heading into the "Heart of Darkness" they way some people react when I ask them along.

People around here hike the same 3 trails. The Ozark Highlands Trail, the Buffalo River Trail, and the Ouachita Trail. They are all great trails I'm sure, but I like to hike off trail.

Lucky for me, I know some younger guys, mostly my daughters boyfriends and a few of their buddies, that will go, and I have a neighbor that will go occasionally too.

One of my daughter's boyfriends, Travis, has been there twice with me. He's a trooper, stuck with me the entire time and loved it. He, and another daughter's boyfriend, Steven, are going with me at the end of this month. Steven should be good too. Both of these guys grew up here and they've rambled in the forests since they were kids. I'm lucky they like to hang out with me wink

I've bushwhacked around here a lot, and the Leatherwood Wilderness is incredible. For the most part, all those 16,000 acres belong to just us when we go there. Guess I shouldn't complain wink

"You want to go where?"

#144321 - 01/03/11 10:20 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

The National Parks had a saying that 95% of the visitors use 5% of the space. We sort of changed that to "the 5% rule" that basically 95% of any outdoor group uses 5%, so :
only 5% will hike
only 5% of those will hike off trail
only 5% of those will climb
etc, so that even in a park like Yosemite, you only meet a VERY tiny number of people in the backcountries unused trails and open space.
maybe 5% of hikers camp
maybe 5% of those winter camp.

#144332 - 01/03/11 10:56 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My weakest link is outfitting others to come with. Usually it is my kids, who grow out of the stuff I bought last year. My last trip (this last week in the snow) I brought 4 sleeping bags. One winter bag for me and 3 bags for my son. I had to buy him new boots, mitts, pants, fleece, etc. At least the goggles I got him 2 years ago still fit. The last pants I bought him now fit his brother, so at least I don't have to repeat for #2 son, or #3 son. Eventually I think I will have more stuff than REI. wink

#144333 - 01/03/11 10:56 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Interesting numbers Jim. But, I think you are right.

#144336 - 01/03/11 11:04 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Jim, I've found on my Fall bp trips, even into highly popular areas, not many people there in early Oct. The main group that I have gone with on bp trips the last six years post over on Facebook now, I don't like the place, so I am mostly back to solo bping or staying home. What a difference. Two years ago, I was out at least one night each month, last year, barely a dozen and a half nights maybe between bping and car camping.

#144340 - 01/03/11 11:21 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
Jimshaw Offline

Duane
I keep tellin ya, come on up here. I think Bigfoot and I are camping in the Three Sisters Wilderness towards the end of January to shake out BFs new winter gear. Its been in the single digits lately (down here in town) but haven't seen below zero yet this year. They say cold winter is coming this January and it has reached -30 here before - in town.

Jim

#144347 - 01/04/11 01:06 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Actually interestingly enough, my problem the last couple of years is not having buddies to go with - ok it's not a *bad* problem, but I do like to hike solo, and only goot in one good solo trip this last year.

Admittedly, I do like hiking wiht friends too, but I definately see the problems Jim is referring to. My solo Jaunt from Maligne Lake to camp parker this summer (pics here was during fabulous weather. My first two nights, and last night were basically where nobody goes, and I wasn't surprised to see nobody there. However my third night was at what should have been a very busy campground, on the very popular brazeau loop hike in jasper. I saw two couples in that campground and that's it..

Which I supposed comes to the reason why I haven't been solo as much as I'd like - I've been dragging a good number of newbies along trails with me..

Edited by phat (01/04/11 01:07 AM)
Browse my pictures

#144357 - 01/04/11 07:24 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Offline

Daughters with boyfriends - wow, you've got my sympathy. I only have one daughter, and going through that once was enough. It got to the point where I no longer tried to keep track of their names; I just labeled them Toad 1, Toad 2... (as in, "You've got to kiss a lot of toads...")

I suppose that taking them into the woods with you occasionally is a pretty good way to keep them in line, especially if you remember to periodically let your eyes glaze over as you dig an oversized cathole and softly whistle "Dueling Banjos." wink

For what it's worth, my daughter did eventually find the prince, and they gave us two wonderful granddaughters (which just confirmed that, after all is said and done, his intentions were exactly what I thought they were all along.)

#144358 - 01/04/11 10:21 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I just labeled them Toad 1, Toad 2... (as in, "You've got to kiss a lot of toads...")

laugh that's pretty darn funny!

Actually, my wife and I have had a problem with growing too fond of a few of these guys. There's only been one toad who's appendages I fantasized removing with a baseball bat, but even in my fantasies there was a long line to stand in for that, so I decided to let the others take care of him because they all had better reasons than I.

As it stands, "Karma" seems to have taken care of him. He now has two children with different women, neither are my daughters, neither which he married, and both which now despise him. He'll be hoeing in that row for a long, hard, time laugh

"You want to go where?"

#144361 - 01/04/11 11:37 AM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

I've built up a large group of hiking buddies, but for some reason they don't like weather. And we've had nothing but for the past month and a half, with maybe a handful of days when the sun shined (like today - I need to go get the wet gear out of the trunk to dry it).

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144362 - 01/04/11 12:03 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Ankles.

Countless sprains have stretched the ligaments and they are unstable. I do exercises and watch where I step but I still roll one every month or so.

I have trouble finding partners too but I really don't mind going solo.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#144363 - 01/04/11 12:04 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
If you don't want to be alone, try the John Muir Freeway around August grin. Lots of nice people to chat with...

My weakest link...you mean I can only pick one? Then its time. Not enough time to get everything covered with work and the family. Running out of time age wise. The clock just keeps ticking.

sk

#144365 - 01/04/11 12:38 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
For me it is plantar fasciitis. For the past 6-7 years I have had to deal with an almost chronic, low-grade case of it in one foot or the other. I can manage the problem but I can't seem to get rid of it. I have had cortisone shots, I do exercises, I stretch, I tape the offending foot and take ibuprofen while I'm hiking: It all helps but I have yet to find a cure.

Edited by Pika (01/04/11 12:39 PM)

#144366 - 01/04/11 12:44 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: hikerduane]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Time, both not enough and getting up early enough to start wink

Summer time I can go after work on a Friday, but in the winter you have to get up _early_ on Saturday (or whatever day you are starting out) - and I'm not a morning person.

The other part is just having the time - something is always going on...

On the other part of the discussion - Rangers are part of the problem - I know everytime I call and get trail conditions and say hey I'm thinking of doing trail "A" this weekend, they always discourage and suggest some easy trail...

Heather

#144371 - 01/04/11 01:15 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Jim, whatta I gotta do, invite myself? I'm to the point that I feel like I'm being put off, but you have been moving, so I've cut you some slack.:) New year, new allotment of vacation time, 160 hours earned or saved, plus 24 Float hours. Not even a Govment job. PM me, I'll see how the weather holds. I like to put in at least a few weeks ahead for vacation time. mtnsteve has Winterfest later this month close to Lassen Park, I don't do Facebook, so have very little info on his trip, that is late Jan I heard. At this point I'm not going there due to lack of communication to me.

#144373 - 01/04/11 01:32 PM Re: What's your weak link? [Re: billstephenson]
mike Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
As it stands, "Karma" seems to have taken care of him. He now has two children with different women, neither are my daughters, neither which he married, and both which now despise him. He'll be hoeing in that row for a long, hard, time laugh

I may have met that guy.... wink

I sat on jury for a murder trial in Indianapolis a few years ago. The defendant had somehow managed to convince his two girlfriends to jointly pay for a defense attorney. Both of them had children by him.

He was guilty as sin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 255 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum