Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144027 - 12/27/10 12:21 PM fish kill info
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I am trying to plan a trip in the High Sierra's. Would like to find some info what lakes & streams don't contain fish anymore. I did a search of this site but just couldn't come up with anything. Trying to also avoid the controversy and just looking for info. Anyone have any results in this area? Thanks

I found this over on the sierra topix forum.
http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3243

#144160 - 12/30/10 06:08 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: intrek38]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Intrek
Interestingly a surprising number of pocket waters in the Sierras have black bullheads, presumeably brought up from the Sacramento area by birds. Lakes with resident free range cattle often have no remaining native species, but the bullheads do well in the polluted water.

However any wild fish in the Sierra, or remaining plant, should be carefully released, because there are so few and their existence is threatened, especially the Golden, which I have only been fortunate enough to see a few of and never caught one.
Jim

#144171 - 12/31/10 12:33 AM Re: fish kill info [Re: intrek38]
Joshuatree Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I was researching the same topic for the high country in Mt. and Wy. I found some of the Quadrangle maps had stocking info marked for most of the lakes in those states. I did a quick search to see if the same company covered the Sierra's with no luck. you might have better luck since you have a better idea of the area. Otherwise check with the state DNR they might have the info posted.

#144191 - 12/31/10 04:42 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: Joshuatree]
intrek38 Offline

I'm mostly interested in the area around the Silver Divide. However, It would really help assist with trip planning to have access to as much info as we can on the area's we visit on just one site. Not just fishing info, but water quality, recent burns, landslide, trail info, etc. But then again, maybe something like this would just take away from the exploration of it all.

I have yet to come across any catfish up in the High Sierra's and hope it to remain that way. If I had my way, I would reintroduce wolves back into Yosemite to help bring back a little balance. But then, that's just me.
Have a Happy New Years Everyone..

#144282 - 01/03/11 02:04 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: intrek38]
intrek38 Offline

After a little browsing I found this site, http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Resources/WildTrout/WT_Staff/index.asp
And after a few e-mails, :
MESSAGE: Hello, I am an avid backpacker and enjoy occasionally fishing on my trips. My question is, is there a map available of all the lakes not containing fish due to habitat restoration. It would just be helpful when planning our trips. Thanks for your good work.

I got this:

I doubt there is a map of lakes not having fish. However, you may be interested in our fishing guide application (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishingpassport/guide.asp), approved fish stocking locations (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Evaluation.asp) or recent fish planting information (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/).

#144451 - 01/05/11 12:04 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: intrek38]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
This is no scientific study- but I hiked the Roper's High ROute this summer and many lakes had fish. In one 11-day stretch we had enough fish for dinner every night. If you simply want to catch fish to eat - no problem- they are just all quite small. If you want to catch larger fish or sport fish those who know are very closed-lipped about the location of these lakes.

The fishing sub-forum on SierraTopix forum is far superior to our fishing topic forum. There is good information there but no secrets are spilled! In general lakes off the trails are better bets than those right along the JMT or other popular trail. There are however exceptions - a LOT of JMT hikers are not fishermen.

#144550 - 01/06/11 08:27 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Finally. I had forgotten how to post photos...again!@?!

I think this is the prettiest golden trout I have ever caught. The color just blew me away when I got it close to shore.

sk

Edited by skcreidc (01/06/11 11:47 PM)

#144559 - 01/06/11 11:30 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: intrek38]
skcreidc Offline

I have always used the topo maps as my guide and thus far have not been disappointed. What I have learned from some working biologist's that I know is that they used to stock everything they could until somewhere in (the mid?) the 70's. So anything that freezes solid is generally no good. After that it depends upon available food sources. Half the fun is figuring it out for yourself. Pan size is what you can usually expect, but there are definitely 18" trout out there. As wandering_daisy said, go to the out of the way places/hard to get to places.

Although this was a while ago, I have always had good luck at Gem Lake off the Silver Lake Loop trial entrance. Plenty of spots to check out at that lake without getting into anybodys way.

sk

#144603 - 01/08/11 02:28 PM Re: fish kill info [Re: skcreidc]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
That is a beautiful fish, I wonder if it tasted as good as it looks smile

#144685 - 01/11/11 09:31 AM Re: fish kill info [Re: GDeadphans]
skcreidc Offline

YuM grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum