Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137602 - 08/13/10 06:46 PM Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct?
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Both of my 8 year old Platypus 2 liter bottles sprang small leaks on my last trip.

I just got back from my local REI, where I had the unpleasant experience of asking for what I thought was a standard near-universal item, the Platypus 2 Liter collapsible bottle with a plain cap on it (as opposed to a push/pull for drinking type of cap) and discovering that, not only were they out of stock, they were not planning on getting any more. All they had were 1 liter and 0.5 liter bottles.

So, I came home and did some searching on the internet. What I found was a very spotty supply of these at a couple of sellers, and it was not even listed any more at most of the major sellers, such as REI and Campmor.

It looks very much like Platypus has discontinued the 2L+ sized bottle, which is a shame, since it is precisely what I use, what I want and what I need. My water system is built around this bottle.

Phooey!

(BTW, I ordered three an hour ago, through Amazon.)

#137611 - 08/13/10 09:31 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: aimless]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Could you find Platy Patches anywhere? I still get the occasional pinhole, and I'm down to my last patch. Can't find them anywhere. Seems like I have to buy a new Platy bottle when I get a hole. Not happy with that.

#137615 - 08/13/10 10:33 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: kbennett]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I checked the Cascade Designs site and found a 2L bottle listed here. It is a 2 L bottle rather than the old 2.5L bottle, and instead of being straight up and down, it has a wave in the middle like the new 1L bottles, making it harder to stuff into a long outside mesh pack pocket.

I couldn't find anything about patches or the filter connector, so those are evidently extinct. The filter connector has been gone for a couple of years now, and I have only one left. I guess Cascade Designs wants to make sure you can only use their own filter with their bottles.

Unfortunately Evernew bottles (the only comparable bottles) also have the wave in the middle. They do have the advantage of a cap connector so you can't lose the cap without losing the whole bottle. Evernew doesn't have a 1L bottle; it's 0.9L, which seems a rather odd size, especially for those wanting to use Katadyn or Aquamira chlorine dioxide tablets. No patches or filter connectors listed on the Evernew site, either. When my 2L Platys give out, I'll switch to the 2L Evernew. I was told by Glenn at Gossamer Gear that Evernew and Platypus caps match, so I'll still be able to use my precious filter connector. I already switched to a seltzer water bottle as a 1L container.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/13/10 10:47 PM)

#137630 - 08/14/10 10:44 AM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You can still make the Filter Link, though it's not as cheap. Just buy a Platypus Drink Tube kit - it's a Link with a long hose attached to it. Remove the hose (or cut it to the size you need to attach to your water filter outlet nib) and voila! - Platy Filter Link.

#137634 - 08/14/10 01:23 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

I'd say OM's link to Cascade Designs shows they haven't abandoned the product. Thanks, OM!

However, my recent observations on availability seem to indicate that many retailers are backing off from stocking it, instead of the less-useful-to-me products, like 1 liter (or smaller) bottles and the larger (but more expensive) "hydration reservoirs" and such stuff.

#137637 - 08/14/10 02:33 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: aimless]

I agree--every time I go into REI looking for useful odds and ends, I walk out an hour later without having found anything, except maybe an isobutane canister. It's sad! Between traffic and $3+ per gallon gas, it's cheaper to mail order!

I used to be able to find this sort of miscellaneous stuff (like Platy bottles and accessories) at the now-defunct GI Joe's. I don't know if Sportsman's Warehouse or Dick's Sporting Goods (the latter moved into the former Gresham GI Joe's) carry that kind of thing. Now that we have a new natural foods store in Gresham, I no longer need to go to Clackamas to grocery-shop, so I'd better look into what's at the local Dick's Sporting Goods.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/14/10 02:37 PM)

#137638 - 08/14/10 02:53 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Because I was at my local Tualatin REI, and a Dick's Sporting Goods store has occupied a defunct GI Joe's just a short distance away from it, I checked that Dick's on my way home. It, too, carried only the 1 liter bottles and a few of the more expensive Platypus items.

#137642 - 08/14/10 06:19 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: aimless]

Well, there's another good idea down the tube. Looks like mail order or nothing!

#138581 - 09/09/10 09:50 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: aimless]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
Maybe I'm confused, so excuse me if this isn't helpful, but I buy my "2 liter" platypus bottles from campmor online. Not the exact one I have, but close enough

Hope that helps... It's got a small size top - which isn't connected, so I guess beware if you're prone to losing parts of your equipment that aren't bolted down :-)

#138958 - 09/18/10 01:16 AM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: Redfacery]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
aimless:

I'm still not sure what we're talking about. Are we talking about a Nalgene-type (or Bpa free) hard-plastic Platypus bottle, or are we talking about the 2-liter reservoir with hose, such as this:

Platypus 2-liter soft reservoir

My 2-liter water pouch like the one pictured above sprung a leak mad last trip, and I had bought my wife a new one at REI back in July. It says "Lifetime Warranty" right on the bottle and I took it back to REI and they found a record of the one I'd bought in July, but nothing on the one with the leak I had bought a good 8 years ago or so from them, before I even had an REI member number. So I was SOL on them replacing it and was told to go to Platypus if I wanted an exchange. Forget that! So I got the last new 2L reservoir they had, with the sales person telling me they were being back-ordered on most Platypus stuff. What's up with that?

I did get a 20-per-cent discount after I moaned and told them I could have said that the POS with the leak was the one from July "with a whole lot of use", but couldn't because of my Catholic upbringing and a fear of lightning on the trail.

I left happy, proud of myself for not lying, but $16 poorer.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#138973 - 09/18/10 11:52 AM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: kevonionia]
lori Offline

I found the 2 liter old style straight sided Platy at the Down Works in Santa Cruz for thirteen bucks. Grabbed one to replace my slowly-yellowing, brittle two plus year old one... had I seen this thread I would have grabbed several.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#138975 - 09/18/10 01:50 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: kevonionia]
aimless Online   content

kevonionia,

I am referring to the Platy 2 liter bottle, not the Platy reservoir. The major distinction between these items is that the reservoir is designed to live inside a pocket in your pack and be accessed at all times through a drinking tube, but the bottle is designed to stand up on its own and if you want a drinking tube you must purchase it as an accessory.

The simpler, more verstaile 2L bottle is cheaper than the more specialized 2L reservoir, because you aren't required to buy a new drinking tube each time you buy one.

#139041 - 09/20/10 06:30 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: kevonionia]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I have had Cascade Designs replace gear long after its' useful life with their life time warranty. Mail it to them and they will replace it.

Edited by ringtail (09/20/10 06:30 PM)

#139111 - 09/21/10 07:54 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: aimless]
Lukem Offline

I found the Platypus 2 liter collapsable bags(screw on cap)at Sport Chalet. I got mine from the store in Visalia, CA. They are normal price $10. They have store in UT, NV, CA and AZ. Unfortunately thy dont show them on their web site so you will have to go to a store.
www.sportchalet.com

#139165 - 09/22/10 04:32 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: aimless]
bubbawadew Offline

Loc: Texas
I looked on online and here is the link for the 2L Platy Bottle.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/handheld-hydration/platy-bottle/product

It only comes with the push/pull cap, but you can buy the closure cap.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/platy-accessories/closure-cap/product

I dont know anyone who carries it in store. Hopes this helps.

Edited by bubbawadew (09/22/10 04:33 PM)

#139438 - 09/28/10 12:09 PM Re: Platypus 2 Liter+ bottles > going extinct? [Re: bubbawadew]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I found some 2+ Platys here:

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=087103

If you order $50 the shipping is free. Since my water system is based on the 2+ I ordered 4 to get the free shipping. We'll see if the order gets completed or if they're out.

#139679 - 10/01/10 02:01 AM Re: Bigfoot comes through again [Re: aimless]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Looks like i found a good source at $5.00 each:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/1981556268.html

The seller says:
"We bought a large number of these Platypus waterbottles at a wholesale price for our club for an expedition that didn’t occur. We’re hoping to find good homes for them. They’re brand new and have never been used, so this is your chance to get a brand new Platypus collapsible folding water bottle for less than a third the price found in stores. "

I'm not affiliated with the seller, just stumbled on it by chance. Hope this helps.

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (10/01/10 02:02 AM)

#139736 - 10/02/10 12:10 AM Re: Bigfoot comes through again [Re: bigfoot2]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
It was a nice thought Bigfoot - but I just checked and the listing has been removed.

Also the 2+ liter platys that I purchased from Mountain Sports (link in my last post) showed up today - only they are not 2+, but only the standard 2 liter platys. Thay will, sadly, be returned.

#139752 - 10/02/10 01:03 PM Re: Bigfoot comes through again [Re: rionada]
aimless Online   content

The description in BF2's linked listing sounded exactly like regular Platys, but with one suspicious detail. It claimed that "wholesale" Platys came without the brand printed on them.

The idea that Cascade Designs would alter their factory line in order to deliberately produce bottles without their brand displayed on them seems quite farfetched to me. Companies LOVE their brands and stick them on everything.

No big surprise the listing is gone. shocked

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum