Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138611 - 09/10/10 05:21 PM Throw down bivies?
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I have spent some time under a small hennesy cat tarp using a dryducks poncho as a bivy when that faild i switched to a taped diy envelope bivy made 100% out of tyvek and gorilla tape verry nice i might say. Im in the Process of making another. but tyvek is really not that breathable and neither is the dryducks poncho. and the lack of bug netting was exatly that lacking. Im getting ready to purchase my first down bag or quilt. To replace a microfiber blanket i had been using sence spring and am now slightly more worried about moisture build up on multi day hikes. aswell as the fact i made the other two bivys to see if bivy camping was for me. and now convinced. Im looking for something i will not have to replace for many years to come. and that i can get four season use out of. aswell as take some abuse. I know alot of pepole are going to recomend small solo tents. but i dont see pitching a contrail or sublite within the walls of a shelter flying well with the other residence. Im currently interrestd in a few different models.

Black Diamond Hooped bivy
Integral Designs backcountry bivy
Out door reasearch Aurora

Any suggestions or comments on bivy qualty design or concept will be greatly appreciated.

once again thanks in advance for any advice it all will be conciderd . and heres a poll for a little fun.

If you were to purchase a bivy for throw down conditions
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 09/10/10 05:07 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Edited by Samoset (09/10/10 05:24 PM)

#138622 - 09/10/10 09:59 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'd go for the Integral Designs bivy, simply because I've used the ID Salathe and liked it very much. In fact, if you're planning to use it in summer conditions, you might want to consider the Salathe. It's only $15 more (but a bit heavier), and it has a panel that zips open on both sides all the way down to your waist - a real godsend on a hot, steamy night.

If you're not concerned about being able to close it completely up (you said you were using it with a tarp or in a shelter), you might want to look at the REI Minimalist - 1 pound and $100, when I bought mine. It doesn't have the chest zip, but it does zip open like a sleeping bag. It was my first bivy, and it worked quite well - got a bit warmish in August, though.

#138625 - 09/10/10 10:26 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Glenn]
CWF Offline

Although more costly, any bivy with eVent should be on your list. Fully waterproof and far more breathable than any Gortex. Superb.

#138627 - 09/10/10 10:46 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
Try this in eVent:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=38

lighter than any of the ones on your list, and eVent is the most breathable W/B fabric.

#138640 - 09/11/10 03:00 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
bubbawadew Offline

Loc: Texas
I agree with Paul, check out Mountain Laurel Designs. I have couple of there products, including Soul Bivy and LiteSoul Bivy, and i love all the stuff i have gotten from them.

#138644 - 09/11/10 04:01 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: bubbawadew]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I would make something with a Momentum .90 top and a silnylon bottom. My lovely wife made one for me, and it's awesome -- extremely water resistant on top, totally waterproof on bottom, and with a big mesh panel over the head and chest for bug protection. At 8 ounces, it's light and easy to use, and perfect under a small-ish tarp.

#138723 - 09/13/10 04:52 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Paul]
Samoset Offline

my only problem with the soul is the event upcharge brings the bivy to $350. witch in my opion is outrages.

#138724 - 09/13/10 04:52 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I don't think any of those will breath more than driducks. And you already said driducks didn't breath enough.

#138725 - 09/13/10 04:56 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: finallyME]
Samoset Offline

well that kinda worrys me a little then. the dryducks was conciderably better than the tyvek but if wrapd up tight in a storm it could get a little moist.

#138727 - 09/13/10 05:02 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My advice would be to go with a more breathable, less waterproof bivy, like momentum, and use a tarp when needed. That way you can throw it down in a shelter without poles or stakes, and throw a small tarp/poncho over the top when out in the open.

Here is a suggestion.
Meteor Bivy

And for what it is worth, I have no experience with this bivy.

#138728 - 09/13/10 05:02 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: kbennett]
Samoset Offline

I do like the idea of momentum bivys i just wonder how much use one could handle before the dwr treatment would begin to fail. im fairly ruff on stuff hints why im looking for something throw down type conditions.

#138729 - 09/13/10 05:12 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: finallyME]
Samoset Offline

appreciate the link but im leaning moretowards something i could survive fairly dry in with catosrophic tarp failure during storm or just plain beeing lazy and not pitching sed little tarp. i am looking more into momentum bivys and reveiws of them.

#138734 - 09/13/10 06:20 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
The problem with bivies seems always to be that the foot section of the bag/quilt gets wet from insensible perspiration. Opening the foot helps. I don't think anyone has found an effective balance of breathability and water resistance, although IMHO, Driducks comes closest if you put a drawstring closure with a spinthrift collar on it. Then it can be left open unless you are in cold, dry weather. The collar will keep water out in a deluge.

#138779 - 09/14/10 02:01 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Spock]
CWF Offline

No question that a Bivvy Bag made out of eVent is almost a miracle. I have yet to experience any condensation in my Integral Designs 100% eVent Bivy / Overbag in all conditions.

#138785 - 09/14/10 04:47 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: CWF]
Samoset Offline

the lack of bug netting is the only reason this bag is not on my list do you beleave that with a little 3m velcro tape and a swath of noseum netting it be fairly easy to mod this bivy.

#138797 - 09/14/10 09:14 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
CWF Offline

Yes I do! I was thinking of doing that once before and e-mailed ID. They suggested the exact same thing you did.

#138824 - 09/15/10 01:29 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: CWF]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“…a little 3m velcro tape and a swath of noseum netting…”

It just seems this is a recipe for disaster as these siblings are always quarreling.

It was SOOO nice when Joe left Velcro off his 8.oz bug-proof, rain-proof, hexamid tent; and used all zippers.

Just a thought.
-Barry

#138842 - 09/15/10 03:27 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: BarryP]
CWF Offline

No - you would be fine with that bivy. It is just a mesh insert that he is refering to and removable. The perimeter mesh could be an issue on any shelter, however.

Side note: On my MLD SoloMid, I have perimeter bug netting but no velcro. Combination of zipper for the door and snaps for the velcro. Works well. The upper vent has a velcro bug insert and there has not been any issue with neeting geting stuck in the velcro because of the size.

#138844 - 09/15/10 03:40 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

hem i dont like disasterous recipies. and lack the equip and know how to sew on zipperd nettting. I wonder if IntegralDesigns would Customize this bivy prior to purchase. wonder what that would cost me. I also wonder if i can find another all event bivys with bug netting aleady in the design. back to google.:)_

#139407 - 09/27/10 10:00 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Samoset]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Samoset, I used the Integral Designs South Col as a throw down thru-hiking the AT several years ago, and was very pleased, though twice, when I was totally unprotected in an hours-long driving rain, I slept in a puddle. Never figured out how the water got in, but did not seem to be through the cloth itself or the sealed seams. I carried a poncho, but rarely used it for shelter, and in the two rains mentioned above,I had used it to wrap my pack. There was a bit of a learning curve, knowing how much to open to avoid condensation, but had very little trouble.

More recently, I have bee using one of Ron Bell's designs, and I love it. Bell is Mountain Laurel Designs and I think a super designer. I have a poncho/tarp and pack in addition to the bivy,and I'm delighted with them. I probably have at least a hundred nights in the bivy, though I have never tried it in the open in the kind of rain that breached the South Col. Always set up my tarp like a good boy when there seemed to be a chance of rain.

I'm convinced that you can't go very far wrong with either company, but at the moment, I think I would recommend One of Ron Bell's designs.

best, jcp

#139409 - 09/27/10 10:06 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: JPete]
Family Guy Offline

I haven't had that happen to me in an ID bivy, but have heard of leaking of seams in some of their bivvies! (Knock on wood). I have the all eVent bivvy and there are no seams to leak which is nice. Between this one and the MLD eVent bivvies, I really don't believe there are any better WPB bivvies available.

Nice thing about MLD is that Ron can customize a bug insert. But be aware - it does cost a bit of $$$$.

#139492 - 09/28/10 10:00 PM Re: Throw down bivies? [Re: Family Guy]
JPete Offline

Should have commented earlier. No, Ron's work is not cheap, but it may be just about the best value around. As designer, he's a magician. He actually understands the materials he works with. He seriously listens to his customers, and the work his shop turns out is top quality (see other comments on this site).

#139625 - 09/30/10 04:14 PM Re: Throw down bivies? @JPete [Re: JPete]
Samoset Offline

im very curious to know when your south col allowed water in was the bivy on either a pad or a gc.
thanx

#139647 - 09/30/10 08:02 PM Re: Re: Throw down bivies? @JPete [Re: Samoset]
JPete Offline

Samoset, No, both times I was in full throw-down mode. I was right on the ground itself, nothing in between.

Never did figure out how the water got in. Could not replicate the problem. Stuffed the bivy full of wadded up newspaper (took me and coupla friends most of a day to wad up that much newspaper). Ran garden sprinkler all night and all the paper was dry in the morning. Baffelment. It stood up to several other pretty significant rain squalls without a drop inside.

Only reason I gave up on the South Col was weight. The MLD was just so much lighter, took up a lot less space, and works beautifully. best,jcp

#139649 - 09/30/10 08:41 PM Re: Re: Throw down bivies? @JPete [Re: JPete]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Any chance it was condensation, and not a leak? I had one occasion where the inside of my ID Salathe let the foot of my sleeping bag get wet. Since I was using it under an ID Silshelter, and we had only a slight shower, I knew the bivy didn't leak. Turned out that, by having the shelter pitched low and the bivy pretty well closed, I allowed condensation to form inside the shelter and inside the bivy. It was user error, not equipment failure. I learned, too, that sometimes conditions make it very hard to use a bivy and avoid condensation - not impossible, but hard, which sometimes leads to less-than-optimal results.

If it was raining hard, is it possible that the surface of the waterproof-breathable material was effectively "sheeted over," so that vapor from inside couldn't escape? I know that gore-tex jackets, at least in the early days, had this problem when they "wetted out."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum