Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138570 - 09/09/10 07:32 PM 2.9oz FAK
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I've been playing around with this kit for a while and have found it to be adequate for my needs (short trips <3 days, healthy 25 y/o male without chronic medical problems and no allergies). Thought I'd share in case it will fit your needs as well. Priorities for the kit are minor soft tissue trauma, blisters, and minor aches from overuse musculoskeletal injuries:

3 4x4 surgical sponges (each pack contains 2)
1 moleskin
2 Band-aids (standard size and shape)
4 safety pins
1/2 roll TransPore tape (surgical tape, 1/2 inch)
1 packet triple antibiotic ointment
1 packet BurnGel (used as a topical anesthetic for wound cleaning)
3 providione-iodine prep pads (diluted in water for wound cleaning, or for routinecare of feet to kill odor)
3 ibuprofen 600mg tablet (prescription strength, equivelant of 2 OTC tablets)
2 packets Tylenol Extra Strength (each packet contains two 500mg tablets)
1 packet Immodium (contains two tablets loperamide 2mg...much more likely to have volume shock problems from diarrhea than from severe arterial bleeding)
1 tube After Bite

All contents in a freezer bag...technically I suppose you could poke a hole in the corner for wound irrigation, but it's really hard to get nough pressure that way.

As a caveat...I have training in wilderness medicine (teach it too as a matter of fact) and am very well acquainted with the use of everything in this kit, and methods to improvise many things the kit does not contain.

#138607 - 09/10/10 02:00 PM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: gorge_medic]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
That is more or less what is in my kit. I always wonder if I should have a SAM splint though. I notice you don't have one in your kit and have much more experience than I do.

If you don't mind, could you give more detail on why you don't have one?

I'm also considering adding an EPI pen to my (summer) kit - my last sting - my whole hand swelled up, and each sting I've gotten this summer has been a magnitude worse (talking to the dr about that one, of course.)

One thing I do carry in my kit is butterfly's - something you don't have - what are your thoughts on them?

Most of my injuries have been of the sprain type... (I'm a clutz) and I hike alone.

#138613 - 09/10/10 05:25 PM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: Heather-ak]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
hhavel...

SAM splints don't really achieve anything that can't be achieved using items from your pack or found in your surroundings, even on the tundra (there's always willow and alder you can cut to make a splint). I do like them for their ability to mold to the body, but they are heavy, relatively speaking, and mono-use tools. The SAM belt for pelvis fractures might be good if you're doing alot of unprotected climbing or scrambling, but you probably couldn't put it on yourself if you fell and fractured your pelvis (I might be wrong, but you do really need to torque down on them pretty tightly from an angle above the pelvis, so I'm not sure). I think, if you are prone to skeletal injuries like sprains, a few good elastic bandages might be a good idea for your personal kit. Also, you might find a few extra webbing sleeping bag straps (Wal-Mart) a handy tool to have on hand for minimal weight, multi-use tools and great for cinching down on improvised splints.

Butterflies are ok, but duct tape is just as good for pulling together the edges of an open wound. And it is mulit-use.

For stings, local swelling isn't life threatening, but if you started feeling tingling (or swelling) in your mouth or tongue, or feel your breathing become more difficult (as opposed to rapid, which anxiety will do) then you may be headed toward a future severe reaction. If that is the case then you will probably be prescribed an epi-pen. Remember, however, that you can ONLY use it on YOURSELF, and if you use it you have to get to the nearest ER ASAP if not sooner. Definitely carry benedryl, and lots of it. Get those benedryl dissolving strips that they make for kids... it gets into your system faster, but the dose is lower so you need 4 strips to equal 1 adult dose (2 tablets). Bear in mond, though, that peope who have severe local effects generally do not develop an anaphylactic reaction, so don't be surprised if your MD tells you not to worry. But definitely follow-up with an MD on this issue as only they can tell you if you are at risk. For sting first aid, meat tenderizer (Adolph's) rubbed into the sting (moisten with a little water) will start to break down the toxin quickly and prevent alot of the swelling that goes on. If you have a little vinegar in your food stash, that will help as well.

MNS

#138653 - 09/11/10 06:37 PM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: midnightsun03]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Hey thanks for the suggestions!

I hadn't thought of the duct-tape, which I already carry.

I think I'll replace my benedryl tablets with the strips in my kit next spring.

Yeah, the stings just startled me cuz I've never reacted and then this year each sting got worse (reaction) and I have many people in my family alleric - and at least two people in the family are life threatening ones.

You are missing an early fall BTW (Fairbanks) though today was just perfect - blue sky, 65ish F. Great change from the rain and smoke of the summer.

Heather

#138660 - 09/12/10 12:28 AM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: Heather-ak]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
If your MD thinks you need the EpiPen ask about an Ana Kit. It's 2 syringes preloaded with epinephrine and chewable chlorpheniramine tablets. It has the advantage of a second hit of epi if you need it but you do have to unlock the plunger on the syringe and push it down.

#138661 - 09/12/10 08:17 AM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: Eric]
midnightsun03 Offline

Epi-pens come in 2's now, and you carry both in case that second dose is needed. My son's allergy kit contains both, plus both liquid and strip benedryl.

MNS

#138793 - 09/14/10 07:20 PM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: gorge_medic]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
For a trip < 3days here is a list of my dedicated first aid equipment:

Ibuprofen.

2 Band-Aids.

Everything else I can fake with stuff I already have. Alcohol from my stove, Elastikon tape, a bandana etc. etc.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#138795 - 09/14/10 07:48 PM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: Trailrunner]
midnightsun03 Offline

I've tried both the ultra minimalist and the light versions of FAKs (I'm not counting the "group" FAK that I always tended to carry), and have found that when I have the light version I don't need anything, and when I carry the minimalist version I've wished I had more. I, personally, carry benedryl and pepto tablets because they are both multi-purpose. One other thing that I carry, because I have never learned to chew my toenails wink is a nail clipper. I always seem to find a nail digging into the toe next to it when I don't carry the clippers.

MNS

#138805 - 09/15/10 01:03 AM Re: 2.9oz FAK [Re: gorge_medic]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I really like a 3" Ace bandage. No FAK of mine is complete without one. That and lots of improvisation will see you through.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum