Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138074 - 08/26/10 11:51 PM Newbie from the heartland
rh44mag Offline

Loc: Independence MO
My son and I are gearing up for a boyscout hike in a couple of months. We camp all the time but we have never been backpacking. We are stoked! We are both trying to get everything figured out before hand. This site is proving to be tons of help already.

#138077 - 08/27/10 01:00 AM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: rh44mag]
Cstolworthy Offline

Loc: American Fork, Utah
Glad we can help, don't hesitate to ask questions. I have been all over the internet, on many different forums, and there is no place friendlier than here!

#138080 - 08/27/10 12:00 PM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: rh44mag]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Welcome to our affliction, and Good for you two!

Where will you be hiking?

"You want to go where?"

#138092 - 08/27/10 11:45 PM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: billstephenson]
rh44mag Offline

Last I heard, oceola. There is a 13 or so mile trail in, thru, or around Bartle scout reservation. We will get there on a friday evening and return on a sunday afternoon. It may sound lame by some standards but the boy(both young and old) are really looking forward to it.

#138097 - 08/28/10 12:56 AM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: rh44mag]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You should have a great time!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#138112 - 08/28/10 07:40 PM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: rh44mag]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Don't put down or underestimate your trip. I looked at the trail map and it looks great. There is a big reservoir nearby and a creek from what I could see at a quick glance. In a couple of months, the weather may be rainy (check with someone who knows the area), so take rain gear if needed.

Any questions, just ask. There are links to gear lists on the main part of this site-go to the home page-there is a link at the bottom left of the page.

#138116 - 08/28/10 09:42 PM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: TomD]
rh44mag Offline

Thanks for the input. We have a couple of other leads who have made the trek several times. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas.

#138117 - 08/28/10 09:45 PM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: rh44mag]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
If you haven't done a lot of hiking lately, I suggest getting out and getting some miles in, even if just in a local park or your neighborhood, with a small day pack for starters. 12 miles doesn't sound all that far until you put on your pack and start walking.

#138139 - 08/29/10 03:26 PM Re: Newbie from the heartland [Re: rh44mag]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That looks like a great spot to go for a first trip, you're going to have a blast.

TomD's advice is good. That looks close to a typical "Ozarks" trail. That'd be one that heads uphill going both ways and gets steeper no matter which way you go. So, if you haven't walked much lately, you and your boy should both start getting a few miles in now, a few times a week, if you can. That will make a huge difference in how you do on the trail.

If the weather forecast for that area predicts even a slight chance of rain on the days you'll be there you are positively going to want rain gear. I trust the forecast for about 48 hours, and that's it. Be sure to check it the day you leave and adjust as necessary.

If you don't have anything now, those cheap plastic "Rain Ponchos" you can find in the Wal-Mart/K-Mart camping sections will work pretty darn good, and way better than nothing. Take a spare for each of you though, they tear pretty easy but, on the plus side, they are very lightweight.

For me, six miles a day on a trail like that is about all I'd want to do. That'll give you time to stop and rest and poke around a bit. You'll be hiking on the ridge tops where you should have some spectacular views and down into and along some creek beds where there is bound to be some great trees and rock formations.

--

I know you'll be with a group, but here's something for just you and your son...

Bring a few coins (or any bit of treasure) with you. When you get to a good spot take him aside and give it to him. Ask him to find a spot for you both to hide it. Afterwards, tell him that if either of you ever return to that spot you will find it and add another coin or bit of treasure.

I did this with my children when we went hiking. It was my hope to create memories that would last them a lifetime.

My kids are all grown up now and it seems to have worked. They still go hiking, sometimes even with me, and now there are a few spots where we've got quite a nice little cache of treasure that we've been adding to, one bit at a time, for years.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum