Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137113 - 08/02/10 08:01 PM Quilts?
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Pretty soon I am going to need a new sleeping bag. But I have been hearing a lot about quilts for UL backpacking. However, I cant find any for sale online. Except Backpacking Light's quilt which I don't think is for sale yet...Can anyone point me to a website? Maybe some brand names or people who hand make them.

Furthermore, perhaps a critique, pros and cons, stories you have of them. Anything shared is appreciated. I have never tried it before, but am intrigued. Thanks!

Steve

#137116 - 08/02/10 08:54 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm not a quilt person, mostly because I'm a cold sleeper and like to zip up tight in a warm sleeping bag. I also toss and turn a lot. It's not a problem when the quilt on my bed ends up on the floor in my 65* bedroom, but it certainly would be in a tent at 18*F. But that's me!

You can get an idea of what quilt sleeping would be like by completely unzipping your sleeping bag (assuming a full-length zipper) and using it as a quilt. The theory is that since the down underneath your body is squashed flat, it is useless. I tend to disagree because it still has some warmth in it, definitely keeps out drafts and I don't like the idea of sleeping directly on my bare insulated air pad. I hope some quilt lovers will challenge my remarks!

Most quilts are made by "cottage manufacturers" who sell on the internet. A number of hammock manufacturers make quilts, because (I'm told) a quilt is more suited for hammock sleeping than a sleeping bag. Nunatak and a new outfit called Katabatic Gear make very high quality down quilts. GoLite is one of the few major manufacturers to make one. I'm sure I've left out dozens of firms; these are those I can remember off the top of my head.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/02/10 08:57 PM)

#137119 - 08/02/10 09:25 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
There should be a lot of posts on quilts. Use the search engine. I have a sticky post on how to search if you don't know how. It's at the top of the General Discussion forum.

I'm not convinced about quilts, but plenty of people are. Look on Ray Jardine's site for his quilt kits. He has a lot of info on them there since he's a big proponent of quilts and sells the kits.

www.rayjardine.com

#137120 - 08/02/10 09:32 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Ray Jardine has been an advocate of quilts for at least 15 years. Check out his ideas at http://www.rayjardine.com/. I have made and used several quilts. I prefer them for mild weather but have used them to temperatures in the mid 20's but not comfortably. If I had to choose between a quilt and a sleeping bag, I would choose the sleeping bag for almost all conditions. If you have a sleeping bag with a full length zipper, you have a quilt. But, it doesn't work the other way.

#137123 - 08/02/10 09:57 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm becoming a convert to quilts lately, especially since I find myself in a hammock more and more often these days. I like to spread out and thrash around when I sleep and a quilt gives me the room to do that. Of course that freedom comes with a price......loss of heat. But there are ways to overcome that. This winter I will be experimenting with cold weather quilts and winter hammocking. I bought a Winter Black Mamba on sale. I love the simplicity of a quilt. There is nothing to go wrong and it suits the KISS principle I try to use with all my equipment perfectly.

On the ground, I have successfully used a Jacks"R" Better Hudson River quilt for couple of seasons. It's a very versatile piece of kit. When used inside a bivy (which is my primary shelter, not an extra) the draft problem is kept to a minimum.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#137125 - 08/02/10 10:35 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
GDeadphans Offline

Oh thanks Tom for the search sticky thing. I did not know how, but I realize I should have opened my eyes a bit more! I have been going through the page numbers lol. *doh*

Thanks for the input. I have heard of Ray Jardine's quilts and they look so comfy. Those Jack's R Better look nice as well.

It is tough for me to sleep comfortably in a mummy bag. I dislocated my arm a long time ago and it never healed right. It still bothers me. I need to stretch it sometimes at night and in a mummy bag that is an extremely daunting task. Unless I find the perfect position that works out, which sometimes I get but I have to wake up and wrestle around. I would rather avoid all that and have a full nights rest with no interruptions. Been thinking about getting a rectangular one, or a quilt. Though I really like how mummy bags can wrap around your head and keep you warm, which a quilt seems like it could do better than a rectangular bag...not sure though. Its a tough decision!

Edited by GDeadphans (08/02/10 10:49 PM)

#137127 - 08/02/10 10:53 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
For whatever it's worth, Thermarest also has one, called the Ventra. I have it, it's quite comfortable, but I haven't had it during a winter season yet, so I haven't been able to test the limits.

#137141 - 08/03/10 11:48 AM Re: Quilts? [Re: OregonMouse]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
As usual OM is spot on. I can only add three things.

1. A ground quilt needs to be wider than a hammock quilt.

2. A hood or hat is very important for a quilt.

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/hoods/

3. The colder is gets the wider the quilt needs to be to limit drafts. For winter camping I use the Katabatic Sawatch under a Jacks'R'Better large quilt.

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/sawatch-sleeping-bag/

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Large%20Family.htm

#137158 - 08/03/10 04:36 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: ringtail]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Katabatic Gear sells down hoods to go with their quilts. I suspect it would be nice to be able to keep the hood on when having to get up in the middle of a cold night!

#137171 - 08/03/10 06:30 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: OregonMouse]
ringtail Offline

Katabatic Gear does NOT have a showroom, but their shop is about a mile from my office. They have combined a lot of good design ideas. Their materials are first rate and the craftsmanship is excellent.

I own both a Nunatak ARC Alpinist and a Katabatic Gear Sawatch. The Sawatch is a better product, in my opinion.

The Katabatic hoods are clones of the BPL Cocoon hoods using down rather than synthetic insulation.

Edited by food (08/03/10 06:30 PM)

#137210 - 08/04/10 01:54 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: ringtail]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I haven't heard of katabatic. I have been looking at nanatuk for a little while. Now I have another option. I use a quilt for spring/summer/fall. I made it myself, so no good at getting you a source. sorry

#137223 - 08/04/10 05:29 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: finallyME]
ringtail Offline

Nice looking quilt. goodjob

Synthetic?

#137235 - 08/04/10 09:31 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: finallyME]
GDeadphans Offline

That does look comfy. Ill buy one off ya wink

#137236 - 08/04/10 09:44 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
GDeadphans Offline

I really like Ray Way's quilt + the tarp tent. Anyone have any personal experience with either one of these by Ray? I like the idea of cheap, and sew it myself for the savings. What a great idea. I happen to know a professional sewer who makes wedding dresses and such, I am sure she could tackle this with instructions with ease. Just want to make certain on the quality and function.

#137237 - 08/04/10 09:50 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: finallyME]
Roocketman Offline

The yarn tufting reminds me of when I made my RayWay Quilt.

I made the one with extra insulation for supposedly 28*F rating. I had the draft edging option as well. I did Springer Mountain April 15 and carried the quilt as far as Gatlinburg. I was never cold. Only a few times did I wish it was just a little wider, but the width in the RayWay plans worked out quite well.

I have intentions of making a down quilt someday. The materials are all purchased from Thru-Hiker.com. I just need the time and motivation.

Nice job. I'd like to hear your comments on the width and warmth after you have some cool weather trips in the fall.

#137247 - 08/05/10 08:50 AM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have made a couple of Ray Way quilts. They are excellent quality but since they use synthetic insulation are a bit on the heavy side. If you make one, get the draft stopper option. I now use a down quilt of my own design. I put a head hole in it so I can use it as an insulating garment. You can get down quilt kits and materials from Thru-Hiker. http://thru-hiker.com/materials/index.php

#137248 - 08/05/10 10:01 AM Re: Quilts? [Re: Roocketman]
finallyME Offline

To answer food's question, it is synthetic. I did a post on it in the MYOG section. Basically, I bought the insulation from Thru-hiker, and the ripstop from Walmart. I weighed the ripstop at 1.1 oz per yard, so paying $1.50 was a pretty good deal. With the insulation, it came out to be a $70 quilt without counting labor. It weighs a hair over a kilogram. I wanted it to be a 20F quilt. I have had it to freezing a few times, and it has performed extremely well. I am sure it is a 20F quilt, at least with me wearing clothing. I didn't cut the width, it is a full 60". The best thing about synthetic quilts is that you can be the worst seamstress in the world and still get one that works. You can even do it by hand, it will just take longer.

#137289 - 08/06/10 03:17 AM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Look at Ray's stuff. He's a strange guy, but he's got the experience to back up what he says. His quilts don't have a hood built into them, but he sells a kit to make an insulated bomber hat that would act like a hood.

I know what you mean about your arm. I dislocated my shoulder years ago and it still bothers me once in a while. I like Pika's take on bags-a full zip turns one into a quilt with a hood and foot pocket, never thought of it that way.

I like a mummy bag, but probably would sleep better under a quilt because of the way I sleep.

A good balaclava or fleece hat can substitute for a hood. I'd choose a quilt over a rectangular bag.

Edited by TomD (08/06/10 03:22 AM)

#137349 - 08/07/10 12:48 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: TomD]
GDeadphans Offline

Thanks for the advice. I am almost certain I made up my mind. Its a price I can not argue with, Ray way may be the way. My current sleeping bag is 2.1 pounds, and fairly uncomfortable for my arm like I had mentioned. The Ray Way quilt weights 1.5 pounds....reductions of 6 ounces. Anyone know if I could do better weight reduction with around a 100 - 200 bucks? I have looked at a lot of the bags/quilts you guys mentioned, such as the Katabatic, but wow the price tags on these babies are way out of a broke college students league. laugh

finallyME what was the total weight of that quilt ya made? Sorry, I tried searching for your older thread but could not find it.

#137353 - 08/07/10 02:55 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
Lucky489 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Go Lite makes 2 different quilts they have a 3 season rated at 20 and a 1 season rated at 40. I have the 1 season in down.

Back Country Gear

Had the best price I could find.

#137367 - 08/07/10 11:24 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: Lucky489]
MikeTheDigital Offline

+1 on the Ray Way DIY quilts. I sewed mine years ago with a double insulation layer of polarguard 3D. Like others have stated, it is good down to 20 degrees. Mine is not drafty at all. And the polargaurd 3D shipped with it seems to loft better than many commercial offerings. Perhaps because it may be stored in a less compressed state? Anyway my quilt and thermarest prolite 4 are my go to 3 season sleeping setup most of the time!

#137383 - 08/08/10 04:19 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: MikeTheDigital]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I have both a bag and a quilt (Arc Ghost by Nunatak). I bought the quilt because for most of my trips I would thrash around in my bag all night, am a side sleeper, and for weight savings. So far, I've not been disappointed with the Nunatak. It's become my go-to for three-season use, as well as packing for my teaching trips where accomodations can range from hotel to open-air shelter. As others have said, a hat/hood/balaclava is needed once you get to the colder temps, but I like the fact that the quilt can be adjusted to accomodate the layers I'm wearing underneath. With a bag, it seems like buying one overlarge to accomodate insulating layers would result in a larger space to heat when you're not wearing them.

#137385 - 08/08/10 05:12 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: gorge_medic]
prone2wander Offline

This is what I don't understand about quilts, where is the weight savings? I only ask because from what few quilts I have found they all weigh more than my Western Mountaineering sleeping bags and my sleeping bag has a hood and the quilts don't. I understand wanting more room than a sleeping bag but other than that is there any advantage? Are there actual quilts lighter than what I list below?

All 6' models and weighed in ounces. The Highlite only has a 1/2 zip.

Caribou 35 20.5 Megalite 30 24.5 Alpenlite 20 31.1 Highlite 40 17.0

#137389 - 08/08/10 05:46 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: prone2wander]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
For a point of reference for you, I own and use a JRB Hudson River quilt (2.5in loft, 20oz), I use it in temps in the high teens. For a 6' person the long at 22oz would be a similar comparison. The Old Rag Mt quilt at 27oz (3.5in of loft) is good for single digit temps.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm

#137399 - 08/08/10 09:26 PM Re: Quilts? [Re: GDeadphans]
finallyME Offline

I listed the weight in my last comment as a hair over a kilogram. It is about 2.25 lbs. I used a layer of 5 oz climashield XP and a layer of 2.5 oz XP from Thru-hiker.com . The outside fabric was 1.1 oz ripstop nylon I got at Walmart for $1.50 a yard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum