Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137142 - 08/03/10 12:02 PM White Mountains - Backpacking Numbers Lower?
fritz1255 Offline

I was backpacking the in White Mountains of New Hampshire last week for the first time in years. When I was a kid back in about 1970, the trails were crowded, and the shelters were almost like cities - at least 20-30 people at each. This time, we only ran into one other party going up (Rocky Branch trail for those of you who are familiar with the area), and we were the only people at R/B Shelter #2. I have heard about the greying/fattening of America, but this certainly brought it home. Very nice for us, but not a good trend for the good old US of A. Has anyone else noticed this trend, is it only in the northeast, or are ya'll too young to make the comparison? Oh, and I did figure out where all the people have gone - next evening we could not get into a restaurant without at least an hour's wait, so we gave up and ate at home.

#137163 - 08/03/10 04:59 PM Re: White Mountains - Backpacking Numbers Lower? [Re: fritz1255]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Here in the Pacific Northwest, I haven't seen less backpackers. I have the perception, though, that there are fewer people doing long backpacks and more going out just on weekends. I do see more dayhikers, though, even on weekdays. It's so crowded in popular spots that I don't even try to go out on weekends any more (good thing about being retired!)

Edited by OregonMouse (08/03/10 05:00 PM)

#137204 - 08/04/10 11:10 AM Re: White Mountains - Backpacking Numbers Lower? [Re: fritz1255]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Having passed through the Whites on my AT trip this year, I can't resist the sarcastic urge to query whether it could be that folks have just wised up and decided to hike less brutal, punishing, and dangerous trails? laugh

More than half seriously, though, that's some tough trail in the whites; I entered from Glencliff confident that it was all hype and that I could continue doing 20's. That attitude caused me to run low on food as I had to adjust to thinking of 15 miles as a big day in the Whites, and that getting through without injury was somewhat of a blessing. Since I too am more used to (pardon me, but more friggin' sane) trail in the west, I have to say that I would suggest that a person just take the cog train up to Mt. Washington and do a day hike there on a sunny day and then figure that they've seen a lot of the scenery the Whites has to offer --- and then go off and hike somewhere else where the trail quality is less purely evil.

None of the above rant is intended to detract from the OP's thesis, which I agree with (though now that I'm back home I'll surely start to re-fatten back up a bit myself ...).

#137244 - 08/04/10 11:10 PM Re: White Mountains - Backpacking Numbers Lower? [Re: BrianLe]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I was talking to an older fellow, seasoned, about backpacking and hiking and he said the same thing as a generalization about the sport, not just the Whites. I believe technology is at fault here. More kids want to just sit at home and play video games. I know it, my younger brother (16) and his friends are a prime example. At his age I would be outside skateboarding around town, meeting people, going to burger king or to grab ice cream. Go fishing, canoeing, hopping on the bus to skate around NYC, playing baseball and kickball in the street till the sun set and you couldn't see anything anymore. I don't see kids doing that anymore, not just my brothers friends, but even neighborhood kids. I remember all the popular hang out spots for kids, and when I drive by, I don't see any of them there anymore, or anywhere come to think of it...occasionally a few, but I remember we would flock in mass numbers! Why is that no more? I believe a combination the violence and mothers worrying about creeps, cops harassing kids for loitering when they are just trying to have good honest fun, and the technology age. Technology is a way for kids to entertain themselves in doors, unhealthily hiding themselves behind a screen...I just hope they can find a way to connect with nature. Its important this day and age.

At the moment I am disgusted at my computer lol!

#137303 - 08/06/10 01:39 PM Re: White Mountains - Backpacking Numbers Lower? [Re: BrianLe]
fritz1255 Offline

Gotta agree with Brian about the trail quality in the Whites - absolutely awful. For planning purposes, we assume a pace of about 1 mile per hour, and we were only a little bit ahead of that on this trip. Part of the trail we were on (Rocky Branch Trail) is actually in a stream bed where you have to hop from rock to rock to avoid getting your feet soaked. Still, it's the same as it was 40 years ago, so there's more to the equation than people just now discovering how bad the trails are.....

#137362 - 08/07/10 08:30 PM Re: White Mountains - Backpacking Numbers Lower? [Re: fritz1255]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By fritz1255
Gotta agree with Brian about the trail quality in the Whites - absolutely awful. For planning purposes, we assume a pace of about 1 mile per hour, and we were only a little bit ahead of that on this trip. Part of the trail we were on (Rocky Branch Trail) is actually in a stream bed where you have to hop from rock to rock to avoid getting your feet soaked. Still, it's the same as it was 40 years ago, so there's more to the equation than people just now discovering how bad the trails are.....

I did my first long BP (12 days, 135 miles) in the Whites in 1975... had an absolute blast. I don't think the trail quality in the Whites is 'absolutely awful", I'd just say they are different than Out West... here trails were built with the horse in mind. Not in NH. The Whites are WET and that means problems for trails.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum