Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136804 - 07/27/10 11:11 AM Kelty packs
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
I have a 40% discount waiting for anything from Kelty's website. I have and love a Kelty sleeping bag...but am thinking of a daypack now

with my meltdown this weekend, i think its time i invested in a smaller pack that will be used for daypacks maybe one night out...

was curious besides the good ol Cloud out of kevlar or spectre? are the packs still good quality?

any recommendations for my small frame? Thanks!

#136874 - 07/28/10 09:32 AM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I don't think you can do badly with a Kelty, particularly with an attractive discount. I don't currently own one, but I have carried several, starting many years ago with their classic external frame. I used a Kelty internal frame in SAR for many years that performed superbly.

Just remember that the most important factor in getting a good pack is how it fits your individual body, not necessarily the brand name.

#136877 - 07/28/10 10:39 AM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
Ambersdad Offline

Loc: Norman OK
I have an internal frame Kelty that I use in the winter mainly for all the external pockets for camera gear. It's very functional. I trained in it for a desert hike for a few months carrying 50 lbs (mostly water) and it rode and fit extremely well. I'm difficult to fit because of a short torso and wide shoulders.

#136895 - 07/28/10 10:00 PM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I have a Kelty Redtail 1800. I also use it all the time, going to the beach, shopping center (I ride my bike and put my bags inside), college books or gear for college classes in the woods (Wildlife Biology major with outdoor labs, gotta love it!). And for the soul purpose I bought it for, a day pack or overnighter. It is great quality. The straps are sturdy and strong, there is a spot for my Camelback bladder, rings on the front to clip stuff on, and on the bottom there are slits so I can tie stuff to it with my mini clip tie things. I also like the side pockets. My water bottle slides in and out perfectly. I also really like the two front compartments. The larger one has a lot of pockets and stuff, perfect for organizing stuff. The smaller one is great for things like my binocs or snacks. There is also a tiny one on top of the bag which lends itself to Ipods or a wallet. There is also a chest strap and waist strap.

My only problem is it is not water proof at all. I got stuck in a very bad storm last year and everything inside was wet by the end. Including my cell phone. I had to get a new one. *shakes fist* I bought a cover.

At first I was skeptical of buying the Kelty just because they seem like the generic brand. But when I thoroughly looked at the pack in the store I was sold.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Red-Tail-1800-Backpack/dp/B000EX3BP4

#136913 - 07/29/10 09:53 AM Re: Kelty packs [Re: GDeadphans]
MarkNM Offline

Nice i'm leaning toward that one as well...your writeup was very benefical as it proves to me it can be loaded up with a bunch of lil stuff...i come from a very extensive surviaval background and to this day still bring stupid things like a firesteel and compass ans signal mirror etc...all small items but i like it to be organized

do you think the 1800 is large enough to pack a minimal overnight trip? ie get a stuffed sleeping bag, solo tent, and pad...along with the water bladder and a few extra food items?

also about the waterproofing thats how i got my 40% discount - bought a waterproof cooler bag from target...i wasn't expecting bombproof but i was expectin the waterproof cooler compartment to do that...it leaked almost instantly into the other comparment(pop duo thing) soaking my backup clothes and hot dog buns...i complained they made good

#136958 - 07/29/10 07:20 PM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
MarkNM Offline

I'm thinking of this one
http://www.kelty.com/p-25-pawnee-3300.aspx

a bit bigger, but i don't think i could get a sleeping bag, pad, and tent with probably a filter as well for an overnights use...id rather have my gear in the pack then dangling on the outside

#136998 - 07/30/10 03:14 PM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
GDeadphans Offline

Glad I could shed some light Mark.

I am a lot like you Mark, I need to organize, and the compartments in the Red Tail do it great. I too bring a firesteel and a compass, theres a clip that clips to my key ring so I never have to worry where my keys are, and more.

I do both with this 1800 pack, minimal and regular. If its nice weather I will use a tarp and my U.S. edition Wool blanket. The wool blanket tied to the outside. Inside is a sleeping pad, Snow Peak 700, with an alchy stove, windscreen, and fuel bottle right inside. Then tons of extra room for whatever. I could probably go a few nights with this set up but haven't yet, just overnighters.

But if I want to take my tent I tie it to the outside of my pack. The slits on the bottom of the pack are perfect for slipping my ties through and cinching my tent up. Put the pole and stakes in one of the water bottle holders. Sleeping bag or wool blanket on the bottom of the inside, my thermo-rest as well and that titanium mug set up I mentioned. A few nick-nacks like fire steel and headlamp in the front compartment, then I throw my food in the very front compartment. Fits good, a bit of extra room, but not much.

I am not sure what equipment you use and how compact it rolls up and such. I use a Osprey Kestrel 48 as my longer trips pack, and its only 2,900 cu in. It says for an overnighter, but that is if you need a bunch of creature comforts. I could go a few nights without resupply with this size pack. But, I did shell out some extra money for more compact and lighter things.

The Kelty Pawnee looks pretty nice, I noticed Kelty is going for a sleeker more ergonomic look with there new packs. I do think you could fit your solo tent and light stuff in an 1800. You will definitely have to strap the tent outside however. Or the 3300 would be great if you like the creature comforts and would like the extra space.

#137048 - 08/01/10 01:37 PM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
GDeadphans Offline

Hey Mark, was wondering how ya made out...

#137079 - 08/02/10 08:41 AM Re: Kelty packs [Re: GDeadphans]
MarkNM Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
Hey Mark, was wondering how ya made out...

Hey Buddy,
Went with the pawnee...it will be a drastic difference between that and my only TNF primero 85L. Effectively cutting the size in half. I think i'll be able to get my scarp 1 TT in the bag, along with my BA insulated bag, and if need by strap a bear can on the outside. It will still be small enough and compressible for just your average jaunt up a mountain and back down for dinner.

also i couldn't pass up the savings...i could always get a smaller daypack...

pawnee 130 bucks, and rain cover @ 40 = 82 bucks for me

#137080 - 08/02/10 10:28 AM Re: Kelty packs [Re: MarkNM]
GDeadphans Offline

Cant beat that!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum