Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136689 - 07/24/10 10:06 AM Over filling a down bag
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
If things work out or whatever, is it worth getting, if available, a down bag over filled? I have heard you can order an over filled WM bag. I have been knocking around the idea of getting yet another WM bag, maybe a Summerlite and selling or using my Caribou as a car camping bag. I would really like a 30 degree bag, but not gain any weight over my Caribou 35 degree bag. If the Summerlite was over filled an oz. or two, is that going to compress the down too much? I see the WM Megalite, 30 degree bag has the same dimensions as the Caribou and I thought the Megalite was for bigger folks. I could live with the Megalite, but you know, always trying to shave more weight when upgrading. Any other 30 degree opinions that are less than a pound and a half? I don't want to sleep in my clothes using a half bag. I looked at FF last week. Off to the Winds later next week for a solo trip.

#136692 - 07/24/10 11:35 AM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I can't address the overfill question, not having tried it. I'd be very hesitant to head for the Wind Rivers with a 30* bag, unless you are taking a down parka and pants with you to supplement it.

I take a 20* bag (WM Ultralight). I note from her book that Wandering_Daisy takes a 10* bag. Of course we women tend to sleep colder, but it is quite possible to have nighttime temps in the low 20's or even upper teens even in early August.

I'm looking forward (with envy) to your trip report!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/24/10 11:38 AM)

#136712 - 07/24/10 11:13 PM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

I saw that about the 20 degree bag. I have an Apache, a 15 degree bag, no 20 degree bag. My logic is temps will be similar to the Sierra, I may bring my jacket instead of my down vest. I did see some photos that gforce on TT posted. They got snowed on.

#136714 - 07/24/10 11:40 PM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have not backpacked in the Sierra, but from the descriptions it sounds warmer than the Winds. Certainly the weather in the high Rockies is definitely more severe and more apt to be below freezing than in the high Cascades of Washington and Oregon. In the Winds you can get snow and temps down to the mid-teens even in midsummer. Last summer it snowed almost a foot in Titcomb Basin on Aug. 8 and again on Aug. 15. At Elkhart Park the morning of August 9, the temp was 20 degrees, and that's just the trailhead. In the Winds, you can expect a daily round of thunderstorms starting mid-afternoon. I don't believe that's true in the Sierra; I know it's not true for the Cascades.

Hopefully Wandering_Daisy, who is very familiar with both places, will chime in!

#136720 - 07/25/10 08:07 AM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: hikerduane]
Roocketman Offline

You could call WM and ask them about the warmth of an overfilled bag.

Three things (at least 3) happen on overfilling a down bag. The loft increases a little which adds warmth just from thickness. The down compresses a little which means the density goes up a little and that means that the thermal conductivity decreases a little which adds warmth. The weight of the bag goes up by the amount of overfill, and the warmth to weight ratio can be changed by an unknown amount. Oh, the cost goes up too.

Your best bet is to call WM and ask. Or, hear someone talk about personal experience. Or buy a bag made to 30F or 25F or 20F specifications.

#136722 - 07/25/10 10:55 AM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Thank you OM, I'll at least bring my down jacket. The pictures gforce linked to showed his group hanging out with jackets on a few days. I was looking at the NOAA weather for Pinedale, days are cooler during the day than where I live and night temps about the same. Chance of thunderstorms all week. Can be that way here in the Sierra. I may use the Elkhart TH.

#136727 - 07/25/10 12:11 PM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
It probably depends on how much the standard fill, fills the chambers--loose fill will benefit more than packed fill. Bags with continuous baffles might benefit more from overfill than bags with smaller, divided baffles.

I could envision adding fill to my Ultralite because there's spare room to move down within the side baffles. I have an overfilled Dakota winter bag and it practically stands in the corner by itself. I never saw one with standard fill to compare.

Cheers,

#136734 - 07/25/10 09:10 PM Re: Over filling a down bag [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

I know Hermit's Hut in Redding used to offer a deal, free overfill on WM bags since they can't put them on sale. I wonder how other stores can offer them on Ebay. I picked up my WM jacket this winter on Ebay, a third off was my winning bid. Makes sense, some bags are better than others depending on how they were sewn.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum