Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135931 - 07/07/10 03:29 AM McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I finally broke down and bought the McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon, even though my ACR Microfix has about a year and a half of battery life left.

I was amazed to find that the McMurdo Fastfind, compared to the ACR Microfix, is half the size, half the weight and half the price! I feel much better about carrying a 5.3-oz. brick instead of an 11-oz. brick!

Of course, if the technology of these gizmos improves as much in the next 3 years as they have in the past 3 years, I probably won't be using the Fastfind for the whole five years, either. What I'd like to see is some way to communicate to SAR the nature of the emergency.

#135934 - 07/07/10 11:07 AM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: OregonMouse]
Claus Offline

Loc: Central Iowa
Radios. If you are on the water you can use a marine VHF radio. Not sure what frequency can be used for wilderness that is actually monitored by emergency responders. Alternatively you could become a licensed HAM radio operator and send maydays with it.

But I agree, ultimately it would be good to be able to send a text or voice message with the locator beacon. Otherwise, as they become cheaper their usefulness because of accidental and improper use will become less. Maybe implementing a flat fee of a $1,000 US dollars per button push would be a good idea to remind to people that sending out rescue teams to check on someone is a major undertaking .

#135943 - 07/07/10 04:57 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: Claus]

Problem: what to do with the old 11-oz. ACR Microfix PLB? I doubt that I can sell it, but does anyone have an idea where I can donate it? The battery expires in early 2013.

Re the radio--I doubt there's a 5-oz. radio--or satellite phone--around!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/07/10 04:59 PM)

#135949 - 07/07/10 08:16 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: OregonMouse]
Dan Krabacher Offline

Where did you buy your Fastfind 210 and how much was it? I looked on the web but didn't find a retailer. I'm trying to decide between the Fastfind and the Spot Locator. Any thoughts? I need to decide in the next week.

#135952 - 07/07/10 08:58 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: Dan Krabacher]

REI, $299, free shipping. Backcountry.com also carries it, same price.

Both the McMurdo Fastfind and the SPOT II have been reviewed on Doug Ritter's "Equipped to Survive" website.

Which one you get depends on what you want it for. All I want is to keep my friends and family off my back by having a reliable source of help should I suffer a serious injury, even though I will probably never use it (an injury at my age would probably end my hiking career, and I don't want that, so I'm extra careful). A PLB uses the military/Coast Guard satellite system which is much more reliable. You also pre-register with the government (NOAA) so they already have your data and don't need to waste time researching your background if you push the button. However, you can't send messages with it. The SPOT II features tracking and "I'm OK" messages to your family. For many people, the tracking feature is the most important item, and they certainly should get the SPOT II. However, since SPOT uses a private satellite network from a company that has had financial problems (Globalstar), it is not considered as reliable if all you want is help in an emergency. It may take longer to get help because Globalstar has to contact the authorities which in turn have to try to trace your family to find out who you are. However, the reviews on the SPOT II indicate that most of the issues raised by the initial version have been resolved. The SPOT II with its annual subscription is more expensive. For a PLB, the initial purchase price covers it all for five years; registration with NOAA is free. Note, however, that if the technology advances as quickly is it has for the past two, the chances you'll keep either gizmo for the full warranty period are probably remote.

Note that per the US Government, the emergency has to be of the life-and-death kind. Water tasting bad or an injury in which you can self-evacuate (such as a sprained ankle) or a sick dog are not life-and-death emergencies. Pushing the button when it's not life-and-death can lead to a heavy fine and free board and room in a federal prison.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/08/10 12:41 AM)

#135970 - 07/08/10 01:46 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm intrigued and all, but when is somebody going to make one of these with user-replaceable batteries? How hard can that be?

Cheers,

#135972 - 07/08/10 02:41 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: Rick_D]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
How hard? Mainly, you've got to make the thing absolutely foolproof, due to the liability considerations that come with a life-saving device. As an engineering feat, bombproof is easier than foolproof. Fools have infinite resources. grin

#135973 - 07/08/10 03:20 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
All it has to be is IPX7 and take common lithium cells. GPSs, digicams, flashlights, even SPOT meet these criteria today.

The problem with the permanent battery is it's wearing down from the day it's made, meaning that as time goes on the owner becomes "less safe" since broadcast time goes down commensurately. Prudently running a self-test mode, of course, speeds this process. Methinks better to begin each hiking season with a fresh set of batteries. I suspect the expen$ive factory battery swaps are just a part of the current business model, but somebody will eventually break the mold and the rest will have to follow. They're just consumer electronic widgets, after all.

Cheers,

#135980 - 07/08/10 08:04 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: Rick_D]

I still am looking for an organization to which to donate my old ACR MicroFix, with 2 1/2 years left on its battery life. Any suggestions?

#136131 - 07/12/10 05:04 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I finally broke down and bought the McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon, even though my ACR Microfix has about a year and a half of battery life left.

Argh! Gear Envy! I'm heading into uncharted rockies in a week and a half and will still be carrying my 11 oz brick! smile

Must resist......
Browse my pictures

#136134 - 07/12/10 05:15 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: phat]

It looks as though I'll be able to donate my ACR to a Boy Scout troop and get a tax deduction for it. The troop just happens to be where my grandkids live, although the oldest is not yet in Scouts. So it won't be a complete loss, and someone will get some use out of it.

I'm sure that in another 2-3 years, someone will come up with a 2-oz. PLB that not only tells SAR what your emergency is but also sings and dances!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/12/10 05:22 PM)

#136154 - 07/12/10 11:18 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: OregonMouse]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have about a year left on my ACR battery and plan to "downsize" too. If ACR was smart they'd make us an offer we can't refuse to buy whatever their latest product is.

#136449 - 07/17/10 02:23 AM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
There are some tiny ham radios. Dryer knows all about them. He's done some posts about them somewhere here. Sat phones are heavy and really pricey, but you can rent them for about $40 a week.

Edited by TomD (07/17/10 02:25 AM)

#136496 - 07/18/10 12:22 PM Re: McMurdo Fastfind 210 Personal Locator Beacon [Re: TomD]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yeah, the ham posts and the notion of being able to get stuff out in many situations have me seriously looking at getting a ham license - in my case in particular I have a plethora of small internet capable devices. so It would probably be pretty easy for me to come up with something very very small capable of getting short emails out over packet radio - once I have the radio part figured out.

Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum