Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136028 - 07/10/10 04:10 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: ghdfans2010]
CWF Offline

Ryan Jordan takes a bivy without a tarp all the time. He will but the head end under a large pine tree and keep that area dry.

As do climbers.

#136033 - 07/10/10 07:53 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: gregpphoto]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
The only reason I would carry a bivy is to keep out flying, crawling, biting bugs.
If these bugs are not a problem a tarp does the keeping dry, cool or warm part very well.
So then why not take a bug proof tent? ans. Doors are open to much and tent gets full of mosquitos and it is a full time job killing them. A tent has walls and is to hot in summer.

A tarp can keep the rain and sun off in summer and is cooler than a tent.

Edited by chimpac (07/10/10 08:29 PM)

#136045 - 07/11/10 11:06 AM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: CWF]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Currently Ryan Jordan uses a custom (cuben fiber) version of the Lightheart Solo tent, as shown on his blog. The previous shelters shown on his blog have been floorless pyramids. I looked at several of his gear lists on Backpacking Light and the lists in his book, "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping." Even his "SUL" (under 5 lb. base weight) lists include a tarp or a poncho tarp and a Momentum/Silnylon (water repellent, not waterproof) bivy. I am curious where you found a list of his that uses a stand-alone (waterproof) bivy. Certainly the combination of a lightweight tarp and a water repellent bivy is lighter than most stand-alone, waterproof bivies!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/11/10 11:07 AM)

#136054 - 07/11/10 01:17 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
This is sort of late but - I see absolutely no reason to carry a bivy with a tarp unless you carry the bivy to keep bugs off you and a square yard or two of mosquito net will do that and weigh only an ounce. Also, sewing some mosquito net to the ends of a tarp will keep bugs out and if you like, make a short mosquito net "skirt" around the bottom so you cacn raise the sides too for ventilation. No need for zippers, just make the bottom loose to crawl under and weigh it down with gear when inside.
Jim

#136058 - 07/11/10 03:02 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
If nothing else, this thread proves that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Of course, some ways of skinning it work better than others, and what you think of as "better" depends on whether you prefer to end up with a really nice, neat cat skin, or if you just want to get the job over as quick as possible. grin

#136067 - 07/11/10 05:42 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
OK, I'm a tenter, not a tarper (at least in bug season). I think the reason the BPL folks take a bivy (really just a bag cover) is because they take little tiny tarps so need something to keep the splash off their sleeping bags. Certainly if I took my 8 x 10 foot tarp, I wouldn't need a bivy!

#136072 - 07/11/10 07:59 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: gregpphoto]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
Yes a net keeps the mosquitos from biting but is nice to have an aparatus to keep it off your skin.You can hang it some way or carry some light poles for hoops. Is there any other way to do it?
Most sleeping pads and bags should be on a waterproof ground sheet. So now that is half a bivy.
If you sew in a pocket on the ground sheet to slip the bottom half of the sleeping bag and pad into, then you will not slip of the pad. Then put in another pocket to put what ever you use for a pillow into.
All that is left to do is put in some zippers to join the net to the ground sheet to keep out the ants and other crawling things. One thing leads to another all the time adding weight and more stuff.
I have got an expensive bivy but it is hot and does not breath good enough. To stay cool in hot summer, an all net tunnel bivy would be nice.

Edited by chimpac (07/11/10 08:20 PM)

#136074 - 07/11/10 08:46 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: OregonMouse]
CWF Offline

Ryan is testing the Lightheart for BPL. He doesn't own it.

In any event, here are just a few quotes from Ryan himself regarding bivvies:

"However, consider the advantages of a bivy sack like the Unishelter: absolute simplicity in pitching and the emotive rewards of sleeping under the stars while remaining protected. My favorite feature about the Unishelter is the ability to remain warm and dry, securely cocooned inside the shelter, reading a good adventure story or writing in my journal, while a storm rages only inches from my head! It brings you in closer communion with nature's fury and makes you appreciate it in a more intimate way. The experience is capped by waking to clear skies, unzipping the door, sitting up, and brewing morning coffee while snapping photographs of the sunrise. "

"The eVENT floor of the Overbag/Bivy allowed me to flip the bivy over when using it as a standalone shelter in driving snow and rain. This allowed me keep the hood opening facing downward and protected from moisture entry. I was not able to do this with the Micro Bivy, because its coated floor would have resulted in prodigious accumulation of moisture in the bivy resulting from condensation."

"Below treeline, with the Micro Bivy, I simply moved my pitch so that the head end of my bivy was protected under the shelter of a tree or bush."

"For years, ultralight backpackers have scoffed at bivy sacks, claiming that outrageous psychological disorders will afflict the occupant. "Claustrophobia!" says one. "Modern day sweat lodge!" says another. Still others punch their calculators and thus deduce that bivy sacks offer space-to-weight ratios that, given the state of modern-day ultralight shelters, are as outdated as their HP-35's.

But what of it?

The bivy sack, in its purest form, provides a weatherproof shelter with a simplicity that has yet to be benchmarked by another design. Only in a bivy sack can you lie in the warmth of your sleeping bag and watch a meteor shower while being protected from wind and dew. Only in a bivy sack can you roll over in the morning, open one eye, and get a horizon-to-horizon overhead view of a magical sunrise. And only in a bivy sack can you arrive in camp, crawl in, and go to sleep: no stakes, no guylines, no poles, and no "good pitch" to survey."

"Now, I'm down to three shelters that I actually use on a regular basis:

A small bivy tent (my current favorite is the Nemo GoGo, at 1.9 lbs)."

Here is a picture and discussion around his ID Micro-Bivy:

http://www.ryanjordan.com/weblog/2009/07/pine-tree-bivouac.html

Note that all of these comments are for waterproof bivvies without a tarp.

#136075 - 07/11/10 08:53 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: CWF]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
overhead sunrise watching? I watch the sunrise by turning my head (usually to my left) and peer through the bugnetting of my hammock. It is funny, all of those "benefits" he describes I appreciate fully with my hammock. HYOH

#136081 - 07/11/10 11:15 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: DTape]
CWF Offline

Especially where there are no trees, eh?

Honestly, leave the hammock baiting to another forum. This is about bivvies.

#136091 - 07/12/10 03:46 AM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: CWF]
ghdfans2010 Offline

Loc: VA
This is sort of late but - I see absolutely no reason to carry a bivy with a tarp.Do you think so?

#136095 - 07/12/10 10:58 AM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: Jimshaw]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would use a bivy under a tarp for added warmth.

#136106 - 07/12/10 01:44 PM Re: Two serious bivy questions [Re: gregpphoto]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Clearly there are as many opinions on this subject as there are hikers. The important thing is to go out there, experiment, and find out what works for YOU.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum