Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135774 - 07/02/10 01:16 PM hiking around Lee Vining
betsy Offline

I'm going on an 8-day trip into Ansel Adams Wilderness. I'm arriving in Reno mid-aft the day before. Was wondering if anyone had an idea of a great campground between Reno and Mammoth lakes to stay that has some hiking? Also, the night before I fly back home, I need a campground by mammoth lakes or Lee Vining that has a SHOWER! : )
Thanks! (the people on the plane thank you too!)

#135785 - 07/02/10 03:42 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: betsy]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Above Mammoth toward the Mary Lakes area (Duck Pass) there are a number of CG's. I assume you have wheels to get around with. Up out of Bridgeport, which is half an hour north of Lee Vining, Twin Lakes area, never been there though, may have showers as there is at least one resort up there, assume they would rent showers. On your way south on your trip, you can stop at the gas stations and ask about facilities in Bridgeport. Great burgers in Bridgeport or the Whoa Nellie Deli (Mobil station) up the Tioga Pass road a quarter mile, just south of Lee Vining. You may be able to get showers at Silver Lake in the June Lake area. There are spots to camp across the road from the TH, they have water and toliets, may have to hit up the resorts for a shower, not sure. Enjoy all the snow. You did read Wandering Daisies report, right?

#135808 - 07/03/10 02:10 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: hikerduane]
betsy Offline

thanks for the heads up - looks like I'll have to bring my WARM clothes! SO MUCH SNOW???? IT'S SUMMER!!! And I heard about how awesome the Woah Nelli Deli is - Can't wait!! Also, have you been to Mono Lake? Do you know if there's a campsite around there? THANKS!

#135810 - 07/03/10 03:33 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: betsy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I would not camp on Mono Lake. Swarms of gnats hang around the lake. I have camped there once and never again. There are nice campgrounds on the road between Lee Vining and Tioga Pass. Given conditions this year, they will have mosquitoes. There are several free campgrounds near Deadman Summit (between Lee Vining and Mammoth) -check the Inyo Forest website. These sites are more high desert so maybe less buggy.

Showers at Twin Lakes used to cost $5. Seriously, have you thought of bringing a large-sized solar shower bag and put it on the hood of your car while you are out. You could rig up a shower curtain with an old sheet if worried about privacy. Public showers in the Lee Vining area are scarce. If you were to drive to Bishop, there are several places to shower and a public swimming pool. I bet there also is a public swim pool in Reno.

#135811 - 07/03/10 03:37 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: betsy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Oh, by the way, there is snow in the mountains, but this does not mean that it is going to be cold. It has been in the high 80's in Lee Vining. It just has been a late snow-melt this year. You probably will not need warmer clothes - just take at least one or two extra pair of socks because no matter where you hike, you will likely have wet feet every day. And be sure to bring wading shoes - there are tons of creeks that you will have to wade until the water comes down a bit. And mosquitoes will likely be bad - bring the head net and DEET.

#135830 - 07/05/10 12:09 AM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We were in Long Canyon above the West Walker River in the new part of the Hoover Wilderness last night at 9,000, and it froze.

Don't assume it will be warm at high elevations just because it's warm in Reno!

Edited by balzaccom (07/05/10 12:10 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#135846 - 07/05/10 12:40 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: balzaccom]
wandering_daisy Offline

Yes, I should have been more clear! What I meant to say is that snow on the ground does not necessarily mean that the temperatures are going to be colder than you would normally expect. And what you should normally expect at 10,000 feet in early July the Sierra is a possiblity of occasional freezing temperatures at night. I in no way meant that temps in the mountains would be the same as temps in Lee Vining. But you do start off at that elevation, so be sure to have flexible clothing to handle temps from low 90's to freezing. I camped at nearly 11,000 feet last week and it was well above freezing. Each day is different. The best bet is to check the NWS weather reports - you can now click on different elevations and get fairly reliable predictions of temperatures for a 5 day forecast.

#135850 - 07/05/10 03:09 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Yep. In one day we went from freezing at 9,000 feet to over 100 in the Central Valley on the way home!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#135859 - 07/05/10 05:19 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: balzaccom]
betsy Offline

thanks! I just bought the sea to summit thermolite extreme liner (I sleep pretty cold) Can't wait to see how it works out!) Maybe I'll check out a truck stop somewhere in reno for a shower

#136265 - 07/14/10 12:49 PM Re: hiking around Lee Vining [Re: betsy]
lv2fsh Offline

Loc: socal
I don't know if you have left or not but like others have said, campgrounds are everywhere around the area. There is showers in Lee Vining at the RV park across from the Mono Cone drive-in (great food and ice cream)on the north end of town. You buy tokens for hot water at the desk. A favorite stop after a back country stay.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum