Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135557 - 06/27/10 05:14 PM Getting dizzy from all these packs!!
FarFigNugen11 Offline

Ok, I had enough!

I read thousands of reviews of sooo many packs I feel and no matter what I do I find someone to convince me not to get it because of a bad review.

I am looking for a pack that is a do-it-all pack. I would rather spend a lot of money then to little. In my opinion the pack is what makes/helps you enjoy the trip your on and without a good one you'll be miserable. I tried my fathers Dana Design Glacier something or other and my shoulders have never hurt me so much. Granted I gave it a hard test run on the Appalachian trail, going all up hill practically. After I made it to the top, I immediately made my way down because I didn't think my shoulders would last much longer if I waited. This made me realize how IMPORTANT a good pack IS. Here are some I'm looking at.

Palisade80- Tried this pack on at campmor and LOVED IT, almost bought on the spot. Came home to do some research on it and found a lot of people bashing the hip belt. There is some kind of plastic piece that breaks in the hip belt. http://www.blog.aimlessmovie.com/2009/05/review-of-gregory-palisade-80whitney-95.html Found this saying they adressed it but I do not know how credible this is. Also, what could they have possibly done to have fixed all of them like that? How do I know if I am getting the dud of the palisades.

Arc'Teryx Naos 85- I LOVE THIS PACK!! It seems like a bulletproof pack that if you want a pack of packs this is it. Don't like the price tag at all though. They claim it is FULLY waterproof although I found some reviews saying otherwise. There is apparently a side pocket that leaks. I also do not like how there aren't any outside pockets to store things. As long as you pack smart I'm sure there would be no issue but I still don't like this.

These are the only two that I can see myself getting so far. If you guys have any expierence with this stuff please let me know how your making out with it. Or, if you have other equipment ideas send em' my way please. Again, I am not really worried about spending too much just want a pack that I do not have to worry about breaking, or being a pain on the trail. Thanks everyone!!

#135558 - 06/27/10 05:41 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Let first say welcome to the forum. Second, I do not have any personal experience with any of those 3 packs you mention. But I do have an opinion. I assume, that is what you really want? All of those packs will cause some serious shoulder pain, especially for someone new to backpacking for the simply reason they are huge and heavy. The Dana is the lightest of the three and it clocks in at just under 6lbs. All three are large enough to carry your kitchen sink and likely that is the only thing that wouldn't get packed making the load on your back probably 40-50 lbs (or much more). The pain you experienced was due top the weight, not necessarily the pack design (though it may have played a role).

You stated you desired a pack to "do-it-all", none of these packs fit that bill unless do-it-all means "carry-it-all" in which case your shoulders and back (etc...) will hurt no matter the pack. In reality there isn't a "do-it-all" pack. I do have one that is my goto, but have others for other specific purposes. In other words, even my goto doesn't do-it-all.

If you told us a little more about what you wanted to do, perhaps we could steer you in the right direction. If your "test" hike is an indication that you will be hiking all (or part) of the AT, I would recommend against all three of those packs as they are just plain way to big and heavy unless you desire to be in pain.

So, what duties does this pack need to perform?

#135562 - 06/27/10 07:51 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: DTape]
FarFigNugen11 Offline

Glad you asked actually.

I one day do desire to tackle to entire Appalachian Trail, as well some other long hikes. The thing is, this is an expensive hobby. I want to make a moderate investment, and be done for a bit. Obviously I will be making adjustments to my gear as time progresses, exchanging things and what not. I just want to do thorough research before I do. I mean, when your going on a major hike like that wouldn't you want something that can handle a lot of weight? In case you want to bring more food/gear while on the trip. I personally would rather over-pack, then under-pack. I would want whatever pack I am getting to be able to handle just about anything I throw at it. Whether it be thru-hikes, or if apocalypse type scenario's I want this thing to be able/willing lol. Thats really why I wanted the a size like this.

I mean I guess I see what you saying in terms of having a do-it-all pack. There is really no such thing huh? Maybe thats why I'm going nuts lol. I really would like something that is weather-proof and something thats going to keep the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips. Thats where I felt the Dana fell short. I am a small guy, 5-10 145 lbs very skinny. Shoulders are definitely lacking the meat they need for this pack. I just didn't feel any cushion, nor weight transfer to the hips. I was carrying 40+ lbs.

In a nutshell, pack must be:
Size: Big enough for me to go on thru-hikes, and possibly some kind of expedition.
Durability: Water-proof would be a +. Heavy loads if need be, strong fabrics.
Comfort: Some kind of form fitting shoulder straps. I know my shoulders are going to be sore, but mine were getting dug into by the straps on this thing. Like I said I am skinny I need something to make up for the lack of shoulders thats why I loved the Palisade 80 lol. That thing felt like the tempur pedics of packs.
Convenience: I want something that I don't have to unpack the whole pack if I need something.

I mean couldn't you buy a bigger pack, but just pack lighter and hit that 30lb mark? I really like Arc'Teryx because of their selective fiber process, and how anal they are when it comes to their products. What about the Altra 65, 75? They both seem light. One is 4.875, the other is 5.065. And they seem EXTREMELY convenient.

#135563 - 06/27/10 08:02 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
FarFigNugen11 Offline

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/men-arcteryx-altra-75-pack-reviews

see what I mean?!?!?

Now there are great reviews for it, and horrible ones!!

How do you go off of something like that? This is nuts lol

Found this article interesting: http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200804/20080429.html

Edited by FarFigNugen11 (06/27/10 08:17 PM)

#135564 - 06/27/10 08:21 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You did one thing very right: you went to a shop and tried packs on. Keep doing that - but as others will tell you, do that after you have the rest of your kit assembled. The weight and bulk of your gear, plus several days' worth of food, will determine the size pack you need, and the suspension it should have - which will determine the weight of the pack itself.

Take the rest of your gear with you when you try on packs. That lets you make sure that your gear will fit in the pack, and that the suspension will carry the weight.

When you're looking at packs, I'd recommend an adjustable suspension (i.e., you can shorten or lengthen the spot where the shoulder straps attach to the frame sheet.) this will greatly increase the comfort of the pack. (Don't rule out fixed-length packs - just be aware that they are less likely to fit you perfectly.)

As far as lighter, good brands, ArcTeryx is good; so is Granite Gear (my personal choice), Osprey, Deuter, and several others - in fact, if you stay with the "better" brands (the ones frequently discussed here), it will be hard to find a bad pack, as long as it fits. There are plenty of 3 pound packs out there that will carry 45 pounds comfortably in 50 - 60 liters of room.

No pack is waterproof! The only way to keep your gear dry is to pack your gear properly. Either store things in zip loc bags and use a pack cover, or consider using a pack liner - a waterproof bag with a roll-top closure that fits inside the pack. (Again, my personal choice is silnylon stuff sacks inside the pack with a pack cover.)

As far as the rest of your kit, which you may not yet have, if you want to simplify things, choose MSR and Thermarest. It's a bit pricey, and it's not the very lightest, but they make reliable, almost bombproof, gear that is reasonably light and easy to use. (Send me a PM with your email, and I'll send you two lists - one using their lightest and most expensive gear, and one that's a step back: two pounds heavier and a whole lot less expensive.)

Good luck.

#135565 - 06/27/10 09:00 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: Glenn]
FarFigNugen11 Offline

Thanks for the help Glen!!

Alright, well being that I liked the fit of the palisade, I was looking at the Baltoro 70. http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/15/baltoro-70

I figured this would be a homerun because its lighter, and actually seems more form fitting then the palisade. Pockets galore too lol. I'm not buying anything yet, I would just like to know where I'm buying everything, and what I'm buying. I know packs, and boots are best tried on. Only thing is campmor doesn't have the Baltoro...So I am taking a risk on not being able to try it on, but I feel confident being that I tried the Palisade. Suspension I believe is the same. What are your thoughts on the Baltoro?

#135568 - 06/27/10 10:40 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles on lightening your load and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site. They helped me cut my total pack weight for 7 days by more than half (down to 22-23 lbs. total pack weight for a 7-day trip), without sacrificing either comfort (which, as an old lady, I need a lot of!) or safety.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives. Also tons of links to reviews and other sites. Especially read what he has to say about lightweight (not UL) packs.

As mentioned already, you should wait to get your pack until you have most of your other gear. You don't want a pack that's too big or too small. If the gear doesn't fill the pack, it will be out of balance (and you'll be tempted to throw in stuff you don't need). If the pack is too small and you have to tie stuff on the outside, the pack will also be out of balance (and you're liable to lose some of the tied-on stuff). In the meantime, beg, borrow or rent.

You want a pack that comfortably supports the load you're going to carry, but you don't want a heavy 5-6 lb. bomber pack, either. Your legs and feet will thank you for a lighter load, and you'll be able to hike farther!

I'm more familiar with the PCT than the AT, since the PCT goes by about 20 minutes' drive from my house. I know that most PCT hikers plan to resupply at least once weekly if not more often, so they are not carrying huge weights or volumes. In fact, most of the successful ones try to keep their base weight (everything but food, water, fuel) at 10-12 lbs. and their total pack weight not over 25 lbs. It might get more than that in the drier regions where they have to carry more water and in the Sierra where they have to carry 2.5 lbs. of bear canister. I do know that most of the people that start out with "standard" heavy gear and 40 lb. packs either end up ditching it in favor of lighter gear or quit the trail. If your eventual goal is the AT, you might want to check out some trail journals on trailjournals.com and postholer.com. A number of the journalers include their gear lists.

When I researched my lightweight backpack 5 years ago, I picked about 5 that interested me. My criteria were that the pack be 3 pounds or less and be able to carry 35 lbs. comfortably, not that I wanted to carry that much. Oh, yes, it also had to fit me! Load lifters were a requirement because my shoulders are very pressure sensitive, which left out most of the lighter packs like those from Gossamer Gear.

I came up with a list of five which I prioritized in order of weight (not necessarily a good idea, IMHO. I then went downtown to REI and tried on almost every pack in the store. None of them met my weight criterion, but at least I got a good idea of how a well-fitting internal frame pack should feel on me (my old pack was a 5-lb. external frame). I then started mail-ordering, assuming that I would have to pay return postage on several before I got what I wanted. The first pack on my list, as best I can remember, was the Six Moon Designs Comet with the "optional" (IMHO mandatory) stays. (This pack is since discontinued, but its bigger brothers the Starlight and Traveler are still made.) The others were the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and the ULA-Equipment Catalyst. I'm sure there was another one, but I've forgotten by now. I got the Six Moon Designs Comet first, loaded it up with my gear plus the weight/volume equivalent of a week's food, and hiked around the house with it for a couple of hours (most boring hike I've ever done, but at it gave the pack a fair trial while keeping it clean so I could return it). It felt as though it had been custom-made just for me, and still does after 5 years!

Sorry about the long post, after you've already been swamped with references!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/28/10 02:00 AM)
Edit Reason: addl info for OP

#135585 - 06/28/10 10:45 AM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: OregonMouse]
FarFigNugen11 Offline

No problem at all! Thanks for all your insight, much appreciated.

None of my friends are really into backpacking, so you guys on here are the only experienced people I get to talk to about this. Even the people at the camping stores around me seem misinformed, and I don't feel comfortable listening to their advice so do not be afraid to give me the low-down lol.

After reading everyones posts and researching more it seems I probably should get all the rest of my gear first. I'll keep an eye out for more packs though as I go. I'm also going to look into a few more stores that maybe in the area that I am not aware of.

One more question though. What are the point of these MONSTER packs? In what situation would you need something like this? Now you guys got me thinking and I'm trying to really figure out what I will be bringing with me and what it will fit in. I still would like to have HUGE pack though in case I do want to pack more stuff. Like I guess maybe if you wanted to go for say a week, but spoil yourself and bring more things. But now after reading, it does seem more logical to get something light for those looooong hikes.

Also forgot to mention, when I was on the AT the other day with my fathers backpack I ran into a thru-hiker. I always like to pick their brains when they let me so I asked him some questions. When I told him how much the pack weighed he laughed at me lol. I'm going to start looking into the rest of the gear now and see what I'm going to be working with.

Just found this had to share, kinda making me excited because I think this could fit the bill when all is said and done. Got my fingers crossed. Here she is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Seems really light, and mid-sized which I like. Lemme know what you guys think of it.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Vapor-Trail-P8.aspx

Edited by FarFigNugen11 (06/28/10 11:12 AM)

#135586 - 06/28/10 11:19 AM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
If you desire a larger pack, and want a decent suspension. there are models available which are not 5-6lbs when empty. One example is the Osprey Atmos 65; a 65L pack which weighs 3lbs9oz. I have friends who use the atmos 50 and love it. Only one didn't and I think it was because he didn't know how to pack it correctly. Might want to check out the Osprey line. http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens

Other friends have the Gregory Z-series packs like the z55. You might like the z65, it is also 65L but 4lbs3oz.

Both of these save you a decent amount of weight while still providing enough cargo space. 65L is a HUGE pack IMO. For extended trips you don't need more gear, just more food.

Since you are also dealing with the issue of non-refrigeration the food will be dehydrated or freeze-dried and thus not that bulky or heavy. I just finished putting together my food for a 5-day trip and the food bag weighs in at just under 8lbs, and each day fits into a quart ziploc bag. So for me, each day is an extra quart (liter) and 1.5lbs.

If possible before you settle on a pack and other gear, borrow or rent some stuff. Hike/camp with others and see what they have. Also, see if you can get used stuff. I often get almost brand new packs and other gear for a song from the for sale section of backpacking forums. (For example, I picked up an Atmos50 for $50 to loan to people who want to try out backpacking.) There are a lot of people who buy stuff and sell it immediately because they didn't like it or they just like getting new stuff all the time.

Don't get a huge 80L/6lb pack for backpacking for those few trips where you want to carry 60lbs of gear). If you ever want a pack for short miler trips which hold a boat, get a used external frame pack from a garage sale for $5-10 (if you see and "L" shaped one, grab it). You can carry a small truck with these things.

edit: just saw your edit re: the vapor trail. A friend loves this pack. You do need to get your weight down below the 40lbs you had. This pack provides plenty of cargo space so it is easily overloaded with weight. But, if you need volume and can keep your total weight in the 30's or less you will love the GG vaportrail.

Edited by DTape (06/28/10 11:22 AM)

#135591 - 06/28/10 11:52 AM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: DTape]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You want the pack size that fits most of your needs, which is mostly your standard gear with maybe another jacket or two for winter camping should you be into that. My 40 liter pack is is good even for the winter. You should never buy for "just in case" because of what I cited earlier about your pack fitting your gear. As DTape mentioned, if you're going to hunt elk or carry a packraft, get a used external frame pack.

Your food for a long trip should be dried/concentrated (in calories as well as moisture) enough that you can get by with no more than 1.5 lbs. per day per person. There's a great site by Sarbar, one of our members, for that: Trail Cooking. Remember that on the AT there are frequent town stops where you can gorge on burgers, ice cream and fresh stuff.

Those monster packs are designed to be sold to unsuspecting beginners by unknowledgeable salespersons, along with heavy tents, heavy sleeping bags and similar gear. The purpose is to max out your credit card and enrich the store, the heavy gear manufacturers and Backpacker Magazine, and never mind if you can even manage to hoist the pack onto your back! lol

Read the articles on the home page here, and you'll find a better way!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/28/10 11:56 AM)

#135594 - 06/28/10 12:41 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
lori Offline

Huge packs have a variety of applications. If you are a climber, you'll need to haul a ton of ropes and gear - climbers frequently hike out into the wilderness, base camp, and go climb a peak. If you are packing extra because you are taking a family or a group of kids (scouts for example). If you are hauling packrafting gear and food for 2-3 weeks, you might need a huge pack. Winter backpacking requires a different gear list altogether - white gas stove setup, lots of clothes, heavier sleeping bag, 4 season tent instead of a lightweight 3 season, etc.

For general 3 season backpacking, you can get away with a whole lot less. smile

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#135598 - 06/28/10 01:30 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: OregonMouse]
FarFigNugen11 Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
You want the pack size that fits most of your needs, which is mostly your standard gear with maybe another jacket or two for winter camping should you be into that. My 40 liter pack is is good even for the winter. You should never buy for "just in case" because of what I cited earlier about your pack fitting your gear. As DTape mentioned, if you're going to hunt elk or carry a packraft, get a used external frame pack.

Your food for a long trip should be dried/concentrated (in calories as well as moisture) enough that you can get by with no more than 1.5 lbs. per day per person. There's a great site by Sarbar, one of our members, for that: Trail Cooking. Remember that on the AT there are frequent town stops where you can gorge on burgers, ice cream and fresh stuff.

Those monster packs are designed to be sold to unsuspecting beginners by unknowledgeable salespersons, along with heavy tents, heavy sleeping bags and similar gear. The purpose is to max out your credit card and enrich the store, the heavy gear manufacturers and Backpacker Magazine, and never mind if you can even manage to hoist the pack onto your back! lol

Read the articles on the home page here, and you'll find a better way!

Well, it looks like there ploy worked lol

I've been watching Jason Klass's videos on youtube for UL backpacking tips. He's got a lot of good stuff to talk about, love him lol. I am also looking at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla now. Seems like a really sweet pack as well, and seems like it has just a little more room. But, I think I know what want now lol. Still not sure like you all said, you need to know whats going in, but I will most likely be able to fill I imagine. The Granite Gear Meridian Vapor.

I like how it resembles a big technical pack, but still remains light. I also like the floating lid design that acts as a fanny pack as well. It also has a front access system to make things even easier. Compared to the gorilla, the straps and suspension system "seem" more comfortable. Like I said earlier, I think something with more cushion would benefit me being that I am really skinny and to me this pack reminds me of the palisade the most. The straps seem to form fit the body. Just another to make things more confusing lol

#135638 - 06/29/10 01:59 AM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I used to work in mountain shops and I sold a LOT of packs. My advice is to try on a lot of packs, and to try them on with plenty of weight in them. It's a very good idea to have the rest of your gear in hand first and then get a pack that suits that load. No pack fits everyone. Some folks may like a particular pack and it may look great to you but not fit you well at all. And fit is the most important thing. Pockets and all that don't mean squat if it doesn't fit you well. If you can buy your pack from a store with a good return policy, you can load it up at home and walk it around the block to see how it really feels. Also, remember that "features" add weight. Every pocket, every zipper, every accessory strap - they all add weight. The simplest designs are the lightest. Any of those packs that weigh 6 lbs and more are massive overkill for normal backpacking. I wouldn't even look at anything that weighs over 4 lbs, and I'd focus on packs that are closer to 2 lbs.

#135710 - 06/30/10 12:23 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
As others have said, beware of just having one pack that will do it all. Instead, focus on the type of trips you'll be taking most often. When I got started in backpacking, I bought a monster, 6 pound pack that would carry two weeks worth of gear. Then I realized, after a few months, that nearly all of my trips were short, 3-day or less trips because of school and work demands, and that massive pack was just way too much overkill. I've spent the last couple of years adjusting my gear collection to reflect that. I now have a much smaller pack that's capable of handling the amount of gear I use for 80-90% of my trips.

Now, the school/work situation is changing, and I'll have the freedom to start taking some longer trips, possibly even some expeditions. My plan is to use the gear I have as much as I can, and rent the gear I still need. It's much cheaper to rent a monster expedition pack for the one trip you take every three years than to buy one outright, given their cost. If, however, you start making more and more of those expedition trips, it might become more feasible to buy one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...think about not just what you want to do someday, but what you're going to do a lot of in the meantime. Good luck with your search!

#135716 - 06/30/10 03:25 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: gorge_medic]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Everyone says they want a pack that will last forever. I really disagree with this criteria. This usually means you have to go with a much heavier fabric or very high priced fabric (Kelty Cloud, for example, $600 pack!). Also rather than spend $400 on one pack that can "do everything" how about a small cheaper pack for weekend trips (say $100 range) and one-week trip pack (say $200 range). New packs are always being introduced. I do not think you really want to spend so much on one pack that you feel you cannot buy a new and better pack down the road. And, I would never buy a pack full price - there are plenty of sales if you spend some time looking. And if you are a beginner, I bet after a few more years experience, your idea of the "ideal pack" will be quite different.

Regarding reviews, you will always find a bad review of almost any pack. I really think that some manufacturers intentionally write bad reviews on competitor's packs! I certainly would not give much credit to one review. However if everyone that reviews the pack says it is bad, then that means something.

#135727 - 06/30/10 08:22 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
FarFigNugen11 Offline

I gotta tell ya, I was kinda disappointed in the fact that there is no do it all pack lol. I love technical stuff, whether it be cars, or a backpack. I always like buying quality things, but now I am really realizing that quality does not mean big and lots of pockets. It means whats going to make the trail more enjoyable, and easier(but not too easy) on my body. I found the one that I will most likely get, and theres a female version so I can get one for the wife. Its the Granite Gear Meridian Vapor! I love this thing! Its light, and still has a techy side to it. The front unzips revealing all the contents so you don't have to go digging. The lid is great because its a removable and can wear as a fanny pack. The suspension system/padding looks like it would be a very comfy pack for people with skinny shoulders. Soo much to love about this one! If any of you have one of these let me know I would love to hear your experiences with it. Anyways, thanks for all of your help and making me realize that bigger is NOT better. I was going nuts trying to make a decision, but after talking to all you guys you made it real clear. Thanks again!

#135744 - 07/01/10 03:56 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Have you looked at McHale Packs? They will make one that fits you and you can get what you want.
McHale

#135748 - 07/01/10 05:05 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
FFN
you should look for "convertible" packs, with modular pieces that be added or removed as you needs dictate.
Jim

#135770 - 07/02/10 12:25 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: FarFigNugen11]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
As Glenn said, ignore pack waterproofing.

Consider a pack from Gossamer Gear or ULA:

http://www.gossamergear.com/
http://www.ula-equipment.com/

I have the GG Gorilla, but the Ohm looks good too. I could do a thru-hike with either of these. They weigh around 1.5 lbs each with all common accessories like hip belt with pockets.

#136024 - 07/10/10 02:40 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: DTape]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Regarding a larger pack for thru-hiking, mine was like OM's, 40 litres, and I was never short of space.

#136030 - 07/10/10 05:17 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: JPete]
Argon Offline

Loc: Utah
As it has been said before, look into the Osprey line of packs. I myself use an Argon 85 and absolutely love it. I was going to buy a Gregory, but after deliberation decided that I didn't want that hip-belt piece breaking 50 miles out from the nearest civilization and have to pack all 60+ lbs on my shoulders. I went in to the local REI and had the hipbelt molded to my body; the pack feels like a dream out on the trail! Osprey is a real pleasure to deal with customer support wise too, and their warranty is amazing.

Take this for example:

"Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday."

http://www.ospreypacks.com/CustomerService/AllMightyGuarantee

Edited by Argon (07/10/10 05:18 PM)

#136130 - 07/12/10 04:58 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
FFN
you should look for "convertible" packs, with modular pieces that be added or removed as you needs dictate.
Jim

Dunno - In My Not So Humble Opinion - what you are trying to do (one uber perfect pack for all situations) is going to cost a lot of money and possibly leave you unhappy in the end.

In a nutshell you need your pack to carry what you need to carry. I carry different stuff depending where I am going, what time of year I am going there, and for how long.

This is why I think it's better off to have a couple of different packs, more suitable to what you are actually doing. I have three I regularly use. Too many people seem to fall for the "Well you should get this in case you end up going to Alaska for three weeks/Climbing Everest/Winter Camping in -40" and end up with something huge, modular, and expensive that two things more fit to realistic purpose would both work better and save them a lot of money.

Browse my pictures

#136234 - 07/13/10 09:50 PM Re: Getting dizzy from all these packs!! [Re: phat]
Capt00 Offline

Go try on an Arc'Teryx Altra. I have a feeling you'll love that one!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 255 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum