Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135208 - 06/16/10 07:41 AM anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada?
furrismurda Offline

I live in Salt Lake City and I'm thinking of making a trip out there. Looks like its got plenty of nice little lakes and streams. Good fishing? any good 3-4 day loops I should know about?
thanks,
Travis

#135225 - 06/16/10 07:18 PM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: furrismurda]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
It's been a long time

#135235 - 06/17/10 12:13 AM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: furrismurda]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've never been there other than seeing them from a distance, but was intrigued. I hope you'll file a trip report here after the hike!

#135297 - 06/19/10 12:11 AM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: OregonMouse]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I'm leading a backpacking trip into the East Fork of the Lamoille Creek Sept. 23 thru 26. Drive there & car camp in the parking lot on the 23rd. Then walk in, set up camp & fish or climb for two days & walk out & drive home the 26th.

Check the Sierra Club's Toiyabe Chapter Outings for details & my contact info. This glacial box canyon is beautiful, with its small alpine lakes and rugged peaks.

Eric

#135300 - 06/19/10 12:23 AM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: furrismurda]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
BTW, were you thinking of hiking the nearby 37 mile Ruby Crest Trail? If so get there before the end of August to be sure ther is no snow on the mt'n. passes.

Eric

#135314 - 06/19/10 10:11 PM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: furrismurda]
spudnate Offline

Loc: USA
I work for the NCC and our first tour was in that area. While most of my time was focused on my work there, I did learn a little bit about the area. The "lake" is more a series of marshes connected by man made water control devices, but there is a hatchery nearby and supposed to be good trout fishing in the south lake area.

I did some dayhiking around our campsite and loved the terrain, but I never did any trails and had at max a 4 hour hike. The weather was typical high desert, but some of the junipers are very large and can make sight navigation tricky.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a VERY remote area, and as far as I know the closest services are in Elko a good hour or more away. There is no cell phone service. There is a water source at the ranger station. I would not recommend pulling water from the lakes or streams because of the mining nearby that uses cyanide in their processing, but I tend to be paranoid about water.

The sunsets and sunrises were excellent where I was at southeast of the Ruby Valley.

#135537 - 06/27/10 04:54 AM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: furrismurda]
jps1021 Offline

Loc: Vegas
I was supposed to go up there next week (4th of July long weekend), but I wore myself out too much last week bikepacking around Big Lake in AZ. So, my Bryce Canyon area bikepacking trek moves to next week and I think I'm doing the Ruby trip early August. Have a Monday and Tuesday off and am thinking of doing Fri-Sun in the Lamoille Canyon area, then head either to SLC or Ely, NV to just trail ride on the mountain bike Mon and Tue. Need a long weekend to go there, should be 7+ hours to get there from Vegas.

I've seen what some of the others have posted and it doesn't paint a pretty picture. But, the Ruby Crest Trail and mtn chain are pretty lengthy, so it's hard to say exactly where they were. However, to me, the upper Lamoille Canyon area and lakes look more like High Sierra, not high desert. Elevation from the Lamoille Canyon/RCT TH is about 8500', the lakes are around 9500' and the peaks go into 11000'.

Download Google Earth and check the satellite images and embedded pictures.

The trek I want to do is mostly going to be cross-country. I could just drive up the canyon to the trailhead, but I'm wanting to just park on the East side and hike up the mountain to Favre or Liberty Lake. (Trails most of the way up Colonel Moore Creek, then technical scramble to the top. Camp, then make my way across the Western canyons over and up to Echo Lake. Camp, then down and down the Right Fork Canyon, over the ridge to Thomas Canyon, up the canyon and drop back down to the lakes for a final camp. Then, back down the hillside.

#135588 - 06/28/10 11:41 AM Re: anybody hiked the Ruby Mtns of Nevada? [Re: jps1021]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Where did our originator go? I lived in Elko for 15 months back in the early 70's after HS in Eureka. That's where I started bping. Never got too far in, lacked proper gear. Always wanted to go back and do the trip to Harrison Pass, but would have no way back.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum