Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134848 - 06/08/10 02:29 PM Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ?
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I have been car camping for years but am looking at backpacking now with the Boy Scouts. I am considering a Big Agnes Gunn Creek bag. I camp mostly in the Southeast US moisture is pretty much a given which is why I am choosing synthetic. Some times it gets down to freezing but not much colder. I like the idea of the sleeve for the pad and the insulation only on top. Will the insulated pad actually keep me warm when the temperature drops? Has anyone else had any experiences with these sleeping bags good or bad? I tried the search but didn't come up with anything.

#134852 - 06/08/10 04:11 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Dave H]
Heath Pitts Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I own two big Agnes bags. The lost dog and the horse thief. The pad as insulation works great. I have the insulated air core pad and it is the best sleep I have ever had while camping. I use the lost dog down to 50-55 and the horse thief below that. I may use some additional padding under the IAC when temps are below 40 but even with that, I dropped a lot of weight with using these bags over my old campmor 20 degree bag.

#134855 - 06/08/10 04:48 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Heath Pitts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Depends on how you sleep! As a child I learned to take my sleeping bag with me when I turn over (which I do a lot of). If I used the Big Agnes setup, I'd end up sleeping on the ground with the pad on top!

A lot of people do use down bags in the humid east, and do quite well with them. I wouldn't rule out down--it's a lot lighter, lasts 2-3 times longer and takes up a lot less space in your pack. You do have to be a little more careful to keep it dry, but it's a myth that synthetic bags are warm when wet. My own experience is that NO insulation is warm when wet!

#134858 - 06/08/10 06:02 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: OregonMouse]
Heath Pitts Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I have never mastered the turn over with my bag attached method myself! That's why the BA bags without hoods interested me smile I probably should have taken a class! I do bring a balaclava when temps drop though

#134879 - 06/08/10 11:25 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Dave H]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Dave,
I don't have the BA bags but I use a backpacking quilt when I have to go to ground (I use a hammock) along with an insulated pad (Exped Downmat 7) when the temps are cold (below 40F).

I typically sleep on my side and don't do a lot of tossing and turning. If you do, this may not be the bag set up for you.

I do know a couple of other SM's that use the BA bags and they love 'em.

#134883 - 06/09/10 12:32 AM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Dave H]
lori Offline

I don't use a Big Agnes, but I do use quilts. The sleeping pad is primarily to keep you warm in the first place - a compressed sleeping bag isn't much insulation at all - and the various pads available all have their different ratings. I use a NeoAir and find it quite comfortable sleeping directly on the pad. The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core should be warm enough.

here is some more information on sleeping pads.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134889 - 06/09/10 08:24 AM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Dave H]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
No experience with BA, but I've been moving toward quilts over the last couple of years. Started by using my hoodless WM Mitylite unzipped as a quilt, and finally bought my first dedicated quilt, the Thermarest Ventra. Except that it's half a pound heavier, I like it a great deal - enough that I bought the companion Tech Blanket for a summer quilt.

I've never had trouble staying warm on a pad, except one night when I used a BA Insulated Air Core pad; when the temperatures hit 20, I could feel the cold start to seep upward. I haven't had the NeoAir pad out in winter conditions yet; I know one poster here (Wandering Daisy?) had no luck with it below freezing. You might search for those posts. I never had any issues at all with a Thermarest Prolite (the thicker one, one-and-a-half inches.)

My Mitylite and Ventra are rated to 40 degrees; I've taken the Mitylite down to about 20 in the backyard by adding down pants and jacket (WM Flash) over midweight wool longjohns, and using a balaclava, down mittens and down booties. At 20, the cold was seeping in pretty much everywhere except the Prolite pad; at 25, I had no problems with the quilt or the pad.

#134915 - 06/09/10 08:04 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Glenn]

It may have been me who posted about being cold on the NeoAir. I got cold below 40* but really froze on it at 18*--the 1/8" CCF pad I took to supplement it was far too little. In addition, the crossways tubes tended to "buck me off" every time I turned over.

I haven't tried the BA insulated air pad but I really love the POE Ether Thermo (I have an older version) which will take me down to the mid-20's without supplement. Any colder than 25* F, I'd want a CCF pad to supplement.

#134920 - 06/09/10 09:55 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sorry, Mouse - it was you. Can I blame it on a senior moment? (Or just being too lazy to search old posts!)

I've had the NeoAir down to about 30, with no problems. However, I tend to sleep reasonably warm. I think temperature ratings are very subjective, and have no trouble believing you froze on yours at 40. For whatever it's worth, I've still got my Prolite in reserve, ready to grab the first time my NeoAir gets chilly.

#135118 - 06/14/10 11:24 AM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Glenn]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the info!! I do move some but I don't think that I normally roll, unless I'm on quite a slope. One more question on down vs synthetic though. I can dry out my synthetic bag fairly quickly and easily. I was assuming that down would be more difficult. I can dry out my synthetic bag on a hot and humid afternoon by throwing it over a line for an hour or 2 depending on sunshine and humidity levels. Will down dry that fast and how do you unclump it with out throwing it in a dryer?

#135124 - 06/14/10 03:03 PM Re: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag ? [Re: Dave H]

Actually, down (at least high quality down) dries faster! Here is an article on the study, but unfortunately you have to be a Backpacking Light member to read it! I hope they won't come after me if I quote this much:

Quote:
The synthetic Patagonia Micropuff absorbed more water than the down [Western Mountaineering] Flash and took longer to dry.

The Micropuff weighed 3.6 times its dry weight after saturation; the Flash vest weighed only 2.8 times its dry weight. While the vests dried at similar rates, the Flash was nearly dry after 70 minutes. At the same time, the Micropuff was still 1.5 times its dry weight and took another 70 minutes to completely dry.

Of course, whatever your insulation, you need to keep it protected with a waterproof covering (not a stuff sack), either a waterproof pack liner or a dry bag, so it doesn't get wet in the first place. My own experience is that a soggy synthetic sleeping bag is just as cold as a soggy down bag! In other words, never let your insulation get wet in the first place, regardless of type!

Down is much lighter than synthetic for comparable warmth, takes up less room in your pack and lasts 2-3 times as long if properly cared for. Page down to second table here.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/14/10 03:11 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum