Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134746 - 06/05/10 05:20 PM new kayak
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
My knees hurt canoeing because I'm generally kneeling and sitting on a foam saddle. We were going someplace and the foam saddle blew off along a freeway I guess, so anyway I haven't been canoeing this year. Today I was driving by the pawn shop and saw two canoes out back and stopped to look at them. One was way too small for me but the other one had a molded in seat and didn't hurt my knees. The guy who runs the pawn shop said he wanted $250 for it, but nobody has any money so he'd take $175. So anyway I traded him an old shotgun for it and threw in a compressor I don't need and some old reloading dies, so he was happy and I got the kayak. Its 12 feet long made by Wilderness Systems and has a Carslisle kayak paddle and a spray skirt. I can hardly wait to try it out, but as this is the land of glaciers lakes and rivers, it will be easy.
Jim

the best part maybe the molded in beverage holder. But what exactly are the other two molded in holes for, right where you sit? blush

#134783 - 06/06/10 10:58 PM Re: new kayak [Re: Jimshaw]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
hmmmm...drain? i have a ride on top with similar holes...i think they may just be from the mold to be honest...but a redbull can fits in it...

also that molded seat looks alot like some ride on top seats you might be able to get a really nice padded seat for...you may want to consider something if water way collect in the seat a bit...maybe dremel a lil hole

#134794 - 06/07/10 01:51 AM Re: new kayak [Re: MarkNM]
Jimshaw Offline

Mark
It has a spray skirt. The top is completely sealed.
Jim

#134799 - 06/07/10 08:37 AM Re: new kayak [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim, those other two holes are simply to keep the seat shaped and provided support against the hull. I've got a fleet of 4 yaks and one has a seat similar to yours.
Your next project: Greenland paddle. Once you carve and use one, you'll never go back.
I just finished my second one.
http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf

#134804 - 06/07/10 11:45 AM Re: new kayak [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Interesting paddle. Seems most modern paddles are very flat. I prefer thick canoe paddles with an airfoil shape because they have lift. I assume that the Greenland paddles also have lift due to their thickness. I am a canoer with 50 years experience and many paddles, this is my first kayak. I want to try it wit my favorite canoe paddle too. I've learned to rotate the canoe paddle instead of making "j" strokes, simply rotate at the end of the stroke.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (06/07/10 11:46 AM)

#134807 - 06/07/10 12:35 PM Re: new kayak [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Kayaking/Canoe paddling is very different. I do both. The difference is that you will be a foot or two closer to the water and a canoe paddle will be a pain to switch sides. J strokes don't work in kayaks because you are closer to the center of the boat. If you had a skeg or rudder, you could probably get away with a single paddle but why?

Kayak paddles...I have several. You want something with the lowest swing weight possible. For European paddles, I like Werner Camanos but there are even lighter ones. Each blade is paper thin but very stiff and strong. They have a fair amount of "cup" and "wing". "Wing" paddles are popular for racing. A Greenland paddle is a different thought process. The surface area is spread out in a long narrow blade, as compared to a wide Euro paddle. You'll make more strokes but you won't feel like you are paddling through molasses, you'll notice you are less tired at the end of the day, yet you are probably ahead of the pack. Very much like bicycle gearing....little chain ring, big sprocket, for climbing hills, or 'spin'. There is a "revolution" going on right now toward Greenland style paddles. Greenland paddles cheat wind well, (why Euro pladdles have the ability to "feather") and are much easier to "roll" the kayak upright, since the blades are already oriented correctly. Plus, $15 and a little woodwork compared to $260 makes some difference too. cool

Knowing you, Jim, you'll be carving your own paddle in...3...2...1...about now. grin

#134826 - 06/07/10 11:04 PM Re: new kayak [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

What kind of wood did you use for your paddle? What would you recommend? In a canoe I like a large wooden paddle with some thickness, like the traditional ones carved from wood. I hate plastic blades in canoe paddles. So I take it you hold your hands much closer together?
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (06/07/10 11:10 PM)

#134829 - 06/08/10 12:40 AM Re: new kayak [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Just about any wood works well. My first one was with yellow pine and works great. Pine is heavy but you can thin it out to lower the swing weight. The paddle I just finished is western red cedar. Cedar is the lightest strength/weight wood out there but dents pretty easily....which I don't care. Grab a 2x4 you have on hand and cut away anything that doesn't look like a paddle.
Trust me, thin kayak blades are what you want on the carbon/glass/plastic store-bought paddles. I made my cedar paddle blades about 3/8" thick at the tips but its quite light weight and springy. The pine paddles worked out to about 1/4" but are probably 1/3rd heavier than the cedar. I use a skill saw, jigsaw, and power planner to get things close, then to a belt and orbital sander. I don't like 'shoulders' on the loom, just nice smooth curves. Spar urethane or tung oil for the finish only 2-3 coats. Sand no smoother than 220 grit....a little roughness seems to be easier on the hands.
Follow the directions in the link above and you can't go wrong, which includes measurements to fit you.
Here are some beauties! (mine all about function)
http://www.fridayharborpaddles.com/

http://www.google.com/images?q=greenland...ved=0CEAQsAQwBQ

Edited by Dryer (06/08/10 12:41 AM)

#134867 - 06/08/10 09:00 PM Re: new kayak [Re: Dryer]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
Hmmmm...I need to visit you guys...I have a feeling my paddling could probably use some efficency work

the past two years i've ditched the canoe paddle, for the standard euro style kayak paddle whilst in canone...helps me by not having to switch as much and i feel like i have more control...granted i have to lean a fair bit when I need to really move....

i always dominate the pack...but i imagine i'd do that without a paddle as well grin

#134892 - 06/09/10 08:54 AM Re: new kayak [Re: MarkNM]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Jim,

Nice deal on the boat.

Don't use the spray skirt unless you actually need it -- kayaking in heavy surf, etc. If you want to use it, spend some time practicing your "wet exit" -- getting out of the boat when you are flipped upside down. It's a lot different with a spray skirt. Do this is calm water with a buddy. Most flatwater paddling in a recreational kayak does not require a skirt.

A spray skirt is useful in a sea kayak when the paddler will edge or lean the boat for maneuverability -- keeps water from coming in the cockpit during the lean. Same thing in a whitewater boat. Of course a skirt also lets the paddler Eskimo roll if needed.

#134893 - 06/09/10 08:55 AM Re: new kayak [Re: kbennett]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Oh, and that Werner Camano paddle is on my holiday wish list. Schweeeeet!

#134895 - 06/09/10 09:56 AM Re: new kayak [Re: kbennett]
Dryer Offline

Yes...good advice on spray skirts. I usually paddle a sea kayak (17ft.) but in flat water. I bet I didn't use a spray skirt but 3-4 times all last year, even in winter. I'll use 'em in rain, to keep warm in winter, to practice rolls, and white water. I've never needed to roll the boat in an emergency and I can count white water ventures on one hand....so, the skirt usually stays home or behind the seat.
Wet exits and entries are very different with a skirt...in fact, getting back in a kayak after bailing out can be a huge challenge if you have no training.
So, many low volume boat paddlers will use a skirt and learn to roll, to avoid having to climb back in, which sometimes is impossible if there is a lot of wave action.

Take a local class if you can find one. Much kayak technique is easy but not intuitive...such as getting in/out of the dang thing grin...and a day workshop will save you a year of frustration and an aching back.

Jim, the boat you bought is wide, stable and dry. You'll have a blast with it.

#135223 - 06/16/10 04:19 PM Re: new kayak [Re: Dryer]
mockturtle Offline

Loc: WA
I agree about the skirt. I have an Eddyline Merlin 13.5'carbonlite touring kayak. Since I don't kayak in the ocean, I never use a spray skirt. And I like access to the stuff in the cockpit, including my feet and legs.

You wouldn't like my paddle, a Swift, very, very light--about 28oz. I've tried a Greenland paddle and don't like it. But others I paddle with wouldn't use anything else.

Edited by mockturtle (06/16/10 04:30 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum