Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134780 - 06/06/10 09:17 PM Getting off my butt
Cube Offline

So I always talked about going backpacking and finally I decided to do something about it. I guess getting more information on it is my second step which I am doing now. My first step was to hit up the gym after a few year absence.

How do you know your in good enough shape to go backpacking?

#134781 - 06/06/10 09:38 PM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: Cube]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
if you feel condifedent you can make it to destination and back to car safely...

Edited by MarkNM (06/06/10 09:39 PM)

#134786 - 06/06/10 11:55 PM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: MarkNM]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You can backpack. The question is how far, and how high. Take a couple of easy trips that will allow you to break in your equipment and get a sense of what works, what's needed, and what systems make sense for you.

By the time you've done that, you'll have started selecting some new itineraries.

And when you get back from a trip, you'll never remember why you didn't want to get off your butt!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#134791 - 06/07/10 01:28 AM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: Cube]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Cube

How do you know your in good enough shape to go backpacking?

Overnighters.

Leave early in the morning, drive to a trail-head. Hike in to a suitable location, set-up camp and then hike out the next day.

I like to consider myself an experienced backpacker, however this year I am going to spend a four night trip with my brother-in-law who has only been once before and thus I am insisting that this upcoming weekend we do an overnighter as described above to make sure that he is comfortable with his gear and that it works.

I would rather know now, on an overnighter than when we get out for the real thing later in the year.

As for how do you know-- your experience will dictate where you can and can't go. For this overnighter with a beginner backpacker, but experienced marathon and iron-man competitor I am still airing on the conservative side-- no-more than 7 miles and 1,500ft elevation gain.

#134795 - 06/07/10 02:10 AM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: Cube]
lori Offline

You don't have to be in good enough shape to go backpacking. You start slow and short, and work up to the point that you can hike with the backpack for several miles without stopping and longer miles in a day.

I built up a lot of stamina dayhiking. I may not be fast, but I can hike for long periods of time, up and down, without stopping every five minutes. I got to that point by just going slow, pacing myself, not rushing until I couldn't breathe. If you stop all the time you never build up the endurance to go the distance.

I'm either dayhiking or backpacking 2-3 times a month. Usually more in summer and fall. Only way to keep your legs and lungs doing the work for you is to keep hiking.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134811 - 06/07/10 02:33 PM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By lori
You don't have to be in good enough shape to go backpacking.

I agree wholeheartedly with lori.

Walking is probably the best way to prepare yourself. You can add a pack and some weight after a bit to get a feel for what you're up against, but you don't need to carry it for miles at full weight when prepping for a hike.

Start by walking a mile or two, more if you're ready for it. Do that two or three times a week for a couple weeks and you'll already see an increase in your stamina. At that point you're ready to hike.

Plan a simple trip that takes you about as far in as your daily hikes, just take as many breaks as you want on the way in. Stop for snacks and water, and rest too. Once you found or arrived at your spot, spend a night or two, and then hike back out.

Assess your experience, ability, and your gear when you get back and then start planning your next trip.

If you have the time to get out often you'll be amazed at how fast you can increase your endurance. You don't even need to "Push Yourself" to do this. It comes without that, so don't. You're most always in a perfect spot to stop and enjoy the scenery if you want to, so you have the perfect excuse to stop anyway.

Hiking is, at most, and best, only half of backpacking. The rest is being somewhere.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#134891 - 06/09/10 08:46 AM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: billstephenson]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
It's just walking. Carrying a pack means it's slower, but it's still just walking. If you can put in 30 minutes on a treadmill at the gym, you can walk with a pack for at least some short distance.

Find a hiking guidebook for your local area. There will likely be someplace nearby -- a state park or maybe a national forest -- that has a moderate trail where you can hike in for a couple of miles, camp, and hike back out.

Also, doing day hikes in the mountains will help a lot. They get you outside, walking up and down hills, and are good training for backpacking trips.

#134914 - 06/09/10 08:00 PM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: kbennett]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with all the above. Just get out there, start with easy trips and gradually work up to harder ones. In the gym you're missing all the benefits of fresh air, beautiful scenery, bird song, wildflowers, peace and quiet, and learning to cope with some of the not so beautiful aspects such as rain, hail, wind, cold, snow, washed-out trails and other hardships that require you to learn skills that you'll never learn at home.

#135406 - 06/22/10 06:40 PM Re: Getting off my butt [Re: OregonMouse]
CrowKel Offline

Loc: Alberta
Like Ive always said to my city friends. Hiking is just walking. It just so happens that when we are walking we are enjoying the outdoors, we are getting fresh air and seeing all the animals out there.

Thats my secret. Hiking is just walking.

If you want to know an old secret though, a real one....when you are walking up hills, dont use the tips of your feet, try flat foot, even if your heal is very angled. This will strech out that back tendon in your leg, and will help you climb faster and feel more, well "boing-ee"

smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum