Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134478 - 05/31/10 11:56 PM Introduction
SilverWolf Offline

Greetings:
I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm 24 and never have been backpacking/hiking, with the exception of my military experience. I want to start hiking and backpacking, and a cousin of mine recommended this forum for starters.

I appreciate the time everyone puts into helping those of us that are less experienced learn what to do.

Thanks,
SilverWolf

#134480 - 06/01/10 12:23 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Thanks. I am a fairly active poster here, but there are many others both more active, but also more experienced than I am.

If you take the time to search the forum archives and old threads, and to peruse the various pages of this site and follow their links, you'll learn an amazing amount. Welcome aboard.

#134482 - 06/01/10 12:32 AM Re: Introduction [Re: aimless]
SilverWolf Offline

Thanks for your quick reply. I have learned some already from doing exactly what you suggested: searching, reading, and following the links.

I hope that I can learn some more, and know it promises me to be an interesting road.

First question: Can my compass be a generic walmart compass? or does it have to be a specific type for best results? And why or why not?

I guess that's 3 questions- but ya get the idea lol...

Thanks again,
Silver

#134484 - 06/01/10 12:46 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
aimless Online   content

Are you planning on going off-trail very much? Are you backpacking in locations (e.g. deep woods) where the terrain is not open and easily read? If so, then you will need good map and compass skills and a compass that allows enough accuracy for reading degrees. Take an orienteering course to sharpen up.

For most on-trail jaunts a simple WalMart compass ought to be sufficient to use as a sanity check, when your idea of where you are on the map, and what you see around you don't seem to match.

#134485 - 06/01/10 12:52 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Welcome. Hope you find your backpacking and hiking experience good. This forum (and the archives there of) has a lot of good info... you have found a good place to learn.

For a number of years I have been collecting notes on backpacking. Originally these notes were mainly for myself, but I have been slowly updating them so they are useful to others. Included in my notes is a list of backpacking resources that you might find useful.

--Mark

#134486 - 06/01/10 12:55 AM Re: Introduction [Re: aimless]
SilverWolf Offline

I honestly don't know yet what I'm planning to do. I don't know enough to know what there is to know lol... I do have map and compass skills, and I am starting small so I guess the walmart compass would work well for the beginning. I dont want to go too deep when I fist start, but I am also not nieve enough to believe that I cant get lost either. So, unless I read otherwise, I presume that the walmart one will work for now. Presuming that I enjoy it enough to continue and get serious about it- then I will buy the proper one at the time.

Does this sound reasonable?
Silver

#134487 - 06/01/10 01:44 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Welcome to the board Silver.

I found 8 compass models on the Walmart website. Which one are you referring to? Some are better than others. Some are better at certain tasks than others. The best advice I can give you is to ask specific questions........for which you will get specific answers.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#134494 - 06/01/10 09:49 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Every one in the army is taught Land Nav. Not everyone learns it. But, assuming you learned it at a minimal proficiency, then you should know how to shoot back azimuths and determine 8 digit grid coordinates. Here in the civilian world, they decided to play a nasty trick on us and change it all, well most of it. Civilian maps are a little different, and their grid coordinates are the biggest difference. Before I wonder off my point too far, if you want to do some of the same basic land nav you did in the army, then you will need a compass that can do it. Other wise, if all you need to know is where is north, any compass will do.

#134496 - 06/01/10 10:32 AM Re: Introduction [Re: finallyME]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Years ago when I went to buy a good compass, I got one like I used in the Army -- with the sighting slit and mirror, etc. Then I discovered that I really didn't have much use for shooting azimuths -- what I really needed was a compass that I could lay on top of my map and work problems. Any of the clear flat baseplate compasses from Silva will work fine -- I prefer one with a built-in magnifier (when you get old you will understand) like this.

As for "what you don't know" -- well, your military experience will help a lot with being comfortable in the outdoors. You likely have decent camp skills, able to find a camp site, erect a tent (do you still use shelter halves? My Army experience is 30 years out of date....), that sort of thing. You will probably carry way too much stuff on your first few trips -- but you're young and can handle it. As you get out and hike, you'll pare down your load to match what you really need out on the trail.

I'd recommend The Complete Walker, 4th Edition, by Colin Fletcher. It's a great primer on civilian backpacking. Some of the gear ideas are a little out of date, but that's okay -- the general feel is all you need to get started.

Good luck and happy trails.

#134503 - 06/01/10 11:53 AM Re: Introduction [Re: kbennett]
SilverWolf Offline

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the advice given. My skills are a bit rusty on land nav, but a bit of practice will take care of that.

Silver

#134519 - 06/01/10 06:15 PM Re: Introduction [Re: kbennett]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I second the recommendation of The Complete Walker IV. Also, anything by Karen Berger is usually good.

Almost 30 years into this, I've never needed to progress beyond the Silva Starter compass. Of course, declination isn't a big issue (<5 degrees) where I hike, and I rarely if ever do any serious off-trail hiking. Mostly, in the Eastern U.S., I just need to know if the trail I'm on is running about the same direction as the trail I think I'm on, and which way to go when trails intersect and someone decided the markers would make good firewood.

#134523 - 06/01/10 06:53 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hello,
You didn't say where you would be navigating smile
There are a million ways of doing things wrong and a good dozen very different ways of doing anything right, So you will have many very experienced people here, giving conflicting advice and stories. Enjoy the complexity... smile Choose your own path. laugh
Get a GPS.
Jim YMMV

#134526 - 06/01/10 09:49 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Jimshaw]
SilverWolf Offline

I'm planning on starting in Kentucky and surrounding. And that may be the best advice I've heard so far... "enjoy the complexity".

Thanks,
Silver

#134546 - 06/02/10 01:11 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles on lightening your pack and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives. Also tons of links to reviews and other sites.

I, too, like Jim's "enjoy the complexity" re navigation. It's definitely not simple! For instance, your topo map with 50' contour lines will not show a 30' sheer cliff that can stop you cold! Part of navigation is what might be called "micro-navigation," being able to observe the terrain that will get you from A to B in the least complicated manner! Another part is being able to discover the remains of long-abandoned trails (there are a lot of those thanks to continued funding cuts over the years).

You might consider looking for an orienteering club near you. That sport can be a lot of fun and will teach you a lot about navigation.

#134567 - 06/02/10 10:48 AM Re: Introduction [Re: OregonMouse]
SilverWolf Offline

I've had a moment to check out some of the articles on the homepage- and find them quite interesting. I believe the ones I checked out were on "hiking ethics", "10 Essentials", and the backpacking checklist.

I'm finding that I could learn a ton of information from just reading this forum and the articles on the site. I havent had the chance to look at the other site in depth yet. Though I will have to find time this evening.

Again, I appreciate the time you all take to help those of us who are new.

Silver

#134571 - 06/02/10 12:13 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I use a Wal-Mart compass, the one with the flat clear base.

Get a good topo map of the area you're going to hike and play around triangulating your position with the map and compass. Also use your map and compass to check your position on the trail every now and then. Forks in the trail, creek crossings, peaks, and the start of steep inclines or declines in the trail are all good places to check your position. Once you get the hang of that your pretty good to go wherever you want, on or off trail.

I'll suggest you visit Jason Klass' web site. He's got some great videos and instructions on "Homemade Backpacking Gear".

Craigslist is a great place to find high quality used backpacks and other gear. If you haven't got all your gear yet you could do well to check what's there before buying new.

I recently posted a message about "Trip Planning" and so far there have been some great responses. The gist of that thread is that your backpacking trips can be just a night or two long, close to home, and still be a lot of fun and provide a great deal of real experience, and how to plan trips for those goals.

Finally, welcome to the forum! Your friend did indeed point you to a great resource and I hope you enjoy your time in the wilderness as much as I have.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#134590 - 06/02/10 06:55 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
A compass? Is that similar to pizza?

#134595 - 06/02/10 07:44 PM Re: Introduction [Re: hikerduane]
SilverWolf Offline

So here is my big question: I'm reading alot about alcohol stoves. How do these work, and what type of alcohol do they use? Rubbing alcohol? Jim Beam? Moonshine? laugh

Silver

#134596 - 06/02/10 08:24 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Alcohol stoves use denatured alcohol (mostly ethanol) or HEET (methanol). Denatured alcohol can be found in the paint section of any hardware store; it is ethanol with a small amount of methanol added to make it unsuitable for drinking. HEET and similar products can be found at many gas stations. IMHO, ethanol is more environmentally friendly.

You can also use pure grain alcohol (Everclear) if it is legal in your state, but it's a really expensive option. You can mix it with reconstituted powedered juice drinks for human consumption.

Rubbing alcohol has too much water to work as a fuel. The same is true for most alcoholic beverages.

#134598 - 06/02/10 08:35 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
aimless Online   content

How do these work

If you've seen a can of Sterno, you've seen a very basic alcohol stove.

Basically, you pour some alcohol into the stove, which can be as simple as an empty tunafish can, but generally is a bit more elaborately designed in order to increase its burning efficiency and heat output. Then you light the alcohol on fire and put your pot above the flame.

#134600 - 06/02/10 08:39 PM Re: Introduction [Re: OregonMouse]
SilverWolf Offline

I've found a camp stove that seems way too easy to make. I'm going to see if I can make it this evening. Wasn't it Edison that said "I've never failed. I've only found 10,000 ways that it wont work."? laugh If that's the case, then it should be fun to try.

Silver

#134625 - 06/03/10 01:50 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Here's my fave.. been using one for a long time.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/
Browse my pictures

#134628 - 06/03/10 01:55 AM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By SilverWolf
I've found a camp stove that seems way too easy to make. I'm going to see if I can make it this evening. Wasn't it Edison that said "I've never failed. I've only found 10,000 ways that it wont work."? laugh If that's the case, then it should be fun to try.

Silver

My alcohol stove of choice is a Fancy Feast Stove. Weighs around 0.3oz and costs less than $1 to make-- there really isn't a need to pay $20+ dollars for a alky stove.

#134659 - 06/03/10 01:28 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SilverWolf]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If you haven't looked yet, try going over to zenstoves.
Zen stoves

The site gives a lot of info on all types of stoves, including alcohol.

#134673 - 06/03/10 07:25 PM Re: Introduction [Re: finallyME]
SilverWolf Offline

I'm going to try one more experiment lol.. I'll check out the zenstoves tonight sometime. Thanks for the site smile

Silver

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum