Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134138 - 05/23/10 09:08 PM Easy To Make Wood Stove
Pat-trick Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZitudZB7Xo&feature=related

I made this in less than one hour, and it works pretty good. I added another row of secondary inlets and it cut the smoke down to almost nothing.

I'm going to remove the bottom of the inner fire box and put a hardware wire grate in there, and leave the bottom on the outer can, like the Bushbuddy, see how that works.

The instructions this guy gives are really good.

My tests with it so far show that it is almost entirely smoke-free. It is finicky to keep going for extended cooking of rice and beans, etc, so I'm hoping the alterations I just mentioned will correct that issue. It has 3 parts, two of them stay together, and then the pot stand. I'll use sticks for "fence posts" and string up aluminum foil to keep wind out, because any wind at all messes this stove up. But without wind, it seems to work great. No dead ducks, no messy beaches. Plus, I'm forced to slow down, take deep breaths, always a good thing.

I'll take photos after another run of tests.

#134161 - 05/24/10 01:51 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
I am going to use a wood stove this year as well, it may not replace my canister stoves but I think I would enjoy gathering the sticks and playing with the stove, and who doesn't like to watch a fire

#134163 - 05/24/10 01:59 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
http://www.trailgear.org/
check this out, he sells them for only $28 and they less than 7 oz. with no fuel weight.

#134196 - 05/24/10 11:57 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: bmwrider]
Pat-trick Offline

Who has $28?

Half the fun of using a wood stove is making it first. Ha!

I discovered today that I can make the stove more versatile if I can adjust the amount of air going into the thing, so I'm designing adjustment devices for both primary and secondary air flow. This is so I can respond to different conditions and wood supply.

I want to stay under 8 ounces, too, and have it fit inside my Optimus Terra pot.

#134206 - 05/25/10 01:16 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

I want to stay under 8 ounces, too, and have it fit inside my Optimus Terra pot.

Seeing as my alcohol stove weighs half an ounce, I'm mildly amused smile

That and if I can have a stick fire, I just have one and use three rocks I pick up to set my pot on, so the stove weighs nothing wink
Browse my pictures

#134253 - 05/26/10 12:58 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: phat]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I know that there are places where camp fires are not allowed, but if they are - why not just cook over a small camp fire - no stove required? (No stove weight, no fuel weight, just slightly blackened pots). I don't usually carry any stove.

rionada

#134254 - 05/26/10 02:21 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: rionada]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's what I do when I build a fire--just gather twigs, clear a space free of burnable material and keep it really small. Of course in most of the places I backpack fires are not allowed--because of fire danger or because of being close to timberline (insufficient wood supply). Even where these rules don't apply, I'm usually "stealth camping" where there are no established fire rings and I don't want to start a new one. Just remember that where no fires are allowed, wood stoves aren't, either!

One of these days I'm really going to try out an alcohol stove! I'm so used to the convenience of the canister that I've been procrastinating about this. But considering that the canister uses fossil fuel and is non-refillable (although it can be recycled after being punctured and aired out), I think I should at least try to make the switch!

Can you fry fish on an alcohol stove, though? Or do I still need to take the canister stove if I'm fishing (assuming, of course, that I actually catch one, ha ha)? I'm not at all into sushi or into fried fish that has absorbed a ton of oil because the fire isn't hot enough!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/26/10 02:27 AM)

#134260 - 05/26/10 10:07 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

One of these days I'm really going to try out an alcohol stove! I'm so used to the convenience of the canister that I've been procrastinating about this. But considering that the canister uses fossil fuel and is non-refillable (although it can be recycled after being punctured and aired out), I think I should at least try to make the switch!

Can you fry fish on an alcohol stove, though? Or do I still need to take the canister stove if I'm fishing (assuming, of course, that I actually catch one, ha ha)? I'm not at all into sushi or into fried fish that has absorbed a ton of oil because the fire isn't hot enough!

Not very well in my opinion. it takes a lot of fuel. Alkys are best for just boiling water. The penny stove simmers acceptably well with the simmer ring on it and I've made things like non dehydrated oatmeal, pastas, and other such "simmer for a while" dishes over it - but the only time I've tried to fry over it I was dissapointed, not hot enough, and the "batch load" nature of it made it difficult, unlike water where you know "this much fuel will make it boil..."
Browse my pictures

#134262 - 05/26/10 10:55 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: rionada]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By rionada
I know that there are places where camp fires are not allowed, but if they are - why not just cook over a small camp fire - no stove required? (No stove weight, no fuel weight, just slightly blackened pots). I don't usually carry any stove.

rionada

I have an agenda with this wood stove... First, I'd like to loosen the capitalists' death-grip on our planet by offering a sustainable alternative to their fossil fuel canisters and stoves.

Second, if I can design one that actually works reliably in a wide variety of circumstances, then maybe I could make 25-50 bucks a pop by manufacturing them (myself, by hand).

Third, I think a wood stove has a smaller footprint then just an open fire and might also be way more efficient and safer for cooking. However, I'm not opposed in any way to people who have the skills to cook over an open fire. I believe native Americans probably cooked like that.

I did come up with a design last night that I think has the potential to actually work in the field, under many conditions. It incorporates adjustable primary intakes and adjustable fresh-air pre-heated secondary intakes. From what I've seen, current adjustable-intake stoves use air that is somewhat oxygen depleted, because it is in direct contact with the bottom of the pyrolysis zone. My secondary intakes are separate channels, but travel through the usual hollow wall to be heated. Hot oxygen! I'm excited about making it, but am out of cans today. Haha. My picnic table outside is a jumble of cut-up cans, flashing, wire, and piles of branches. Wish I had a camera. (Besides the one on my monitor).

Attachments
adj1.jpg

Description: This is my last work-up. It has adjustable, shared, primary and secondary intakes. It's a working model only, not finished. It was promising in my first test of it.

adj2.jpg

Description: This is the bottom of it.

#134266 - 05/26/10 01:17 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Yes, you can cook fish any way that you like it on an alcohol stove. I do it several times a week as I often eat fish and my wife doesn't like the smell in the house, so I just take it outside onto the old alky stove and it works to perfection every time. I just love those little things...sabre11004... goodjob

#134267 - 05/26/10 01:24 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: phat]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I will have to say that it does take some practice. I am a little better at it than I was when I first started doing it. I have a small "cover" that goes onto my stove after it gets going that allows it to simmer and it pan fries fish really well. I ate some last night as a matter of fact and it was delicious. I don't use a penny stove but I think that the effect with the small cover that I have may be sort of the same principal but it works really well for me and I just love fish on the trail...sabre11004... thanks

#134276 - 05/26/10 04:48 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]

Patrick, alcohol is NOT a fossil fuel! Alcohol stoves are homemade or made by individual entrepreneurs working out of their basements or garages (as you're doing with the wood stove). I'm not sure why you insist on using wood! Wood stoves are a lot heavier (as has been pointed out) and (as has also been pointed out) are often banned due to fire danger or lack of fuel. And they are definitely more polluting.

I'm not sure why you insist on the heavier option. Please don't plan to use it in the western US!

#134283 - 05/26/10 07:02 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: OregonMouse]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Patrick, alcohol is NOT a fossil fuel! ...
I'm not sure why you insist on the heavier option. Please don't plan to use it in the western US!

Ooh, how unpleasant.

#134305 - 05/27/10 10:22 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You can use a wood stove in a lot of places in Utah, which is in the western US. I am still debating on if I need a wood stove or no stove and just make a small fire. I did make a Nimbleweed nomad to try out. I am not convinced but will give it a try.

#134307 - 05/27/10 10:51 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: finallyME]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
YOu are not allowed to build a fire anywhere over 9600 in the Sierra Nevada (north of the San Joaqin River) for the reasons that OM has stated. And since most of our trips take us into that elevation at least once...a wood stove/fire is not an option for us. Of course, 35 years ago, it was the only way I cooked while backpacking...but times have changed.

As for frying fish--my wife is a chef, and she needs her BTUs to cook. WE use a pocket rocket, and love it.

Edited by balzaccom (05/27/10 10:51 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#134311 - 05/27/10 11:34 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
phat Offline

Just so you know patrick, many of us aren't keen on wood stoves out west because those of us who have backpacked a long time in the western alpine (i.e. high mountains) have seen backcountry campsites denuded of wood and very degraded due to people scrounging for wood. Lots of other places you get hit with fire bans and they aren't allowed to be used. We're not trying to be unpleasant, it's just reality. Most of us (myself included) don't like to see the high alpine with the krummholz looking like it has been ripped apart for fuel - and the stuff grows back *VERY SLOWLY* up there.

Down lower, in different places, (for example, aspen parkland or regular taiga forest here, probably much of the AT out east, etc.) it's a far different story. there's twig fuel in abundance, usually a low fire risk, and it'll work fine.

I don't carry one. (a wood stove). I made one and it was cool, but the problem I had with it was that anywhere it was legal and appropriate to use, I could make a little three stone fire and set my pot on top - so really, the stove was a lot of weight I did not need to carry at all. The only consequence of not carrying it was I burned a few more twigs, perhaps.

Even when you can carry it, you have to seriously look at the weight. an 8oz wood stove (ok, 250 grams in my parlance) is a fair bit of weight, not when you look at it in isolation, but for me, if I am going to carry anything, I can carry an alcohol stove that weighs 15 grams, and then another 250 grams of fuel for the same weight as your stove. That 250 grams of fuel will last me 4 to 5 days of boiling water for breakfast and dinner, with a good dose of coffee/tea with both meals. If there is a part of that hike that I *can* have a fire, I can still have a wood fire (sans stove) and boil my water over that and use no fuel for that day. Interestingly this is pretty much *exactly* what I am doing on an upcoming 11 day hike in a couple of weeks.

Browse my pictures

#134337 - 05/27/10 03:59 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: balzaccom]

In Wyoming's Wind Rivers, wood fires (including stoves) are banned above 10,500 feet and discouraged above 10,000 feet. If you go to a popular place like Island Lake (within the ban area, by the way) you won't find a single stick of dead wood anywhere! The thin soils in timberline areas need all the decaying vegetable matter they can get to preserve/replenish the soils they have.

In the Pacific Northwest (where timberline is lower) the fire ban is generally at 5,000 feet and above. However, our summers are so dry that by August there is usually a complete ban on all fires, often even in the fireplaces in front-country campgrounds. And that definitely includes wood stoves. In some areas, the only stoves allowed are in the dry season are those which have a shut-off valve, which also excludes alcohol stoves.

Patrick, if you will read about some of the devastating forest fires we get in the west, you'll realize one of the reasons we westerners are so anti-fire.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/27/10 04:01 PM)

#134363 - 05/27/10 09:01 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: OregonMouse]
Pat-trick Offline

I've never backpacked or hiked in the western alpine. It sounds awful! No trees? Actually, I've only been to 10,000 feet twice, and there were forests there, but I was using a Whisperlite in those days.

I'm a tinkerer/creator/builder, so I'm having quite some fun trying to make this little wood stove. I also have no income beyond my paltry SS, so I don't have travel plans. The west is safe! From me, anyway. But the Bushbuddy is NOT safe, (from competition) heh heh. I want to make a really nice little wood stove for those who don't mind carrying the weight. Hopefully it will be better than the BB and all the others. You guys can say you knew me when. Maybe Jason Klass will accept one if I mail it to him, so he can do a YouTube analysis of it. But, I'm a ways from that. I have to wait another week for June's foodstamps, so I can buy some cans of soup. For the cans? lol

Maybe I'll call it something like The East Twigfire Stove. OK, send in your orders early. grin

#134369 - 05/28/10 01:19 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
rionada Offline

Wow, I used to live in California and had spent some time in the Sierras - I didn't realize things had gone so far with the regulations and lack of wood. I now live in NM and spend most of my time here and sometimes in Colorado and Utah. While there are places out here that have restrictions they are few and far between. Also, I don't spend any time in campgrounds or popular sites - so wood is always plentiful. So I have become accustomed to cooking over a small open fire. Obviously everyone has to do deal with what they have for local conditions/regulations, but I am saddened to hear your reports. I love a small camp fire. After cooking dinner over the fire - I like to stay up a little bit and watch the "cowboy TV".

rionada

#134378 - 05/28/10 12:53 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Pat-trick
I've never backpacked or hiked in the western alpine. It sounds awful! No trees?

Yes. It's Awful :

I avoid the place as much as possible wink

Browse my pictures

#134383 - 05/28/10 03:46 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
There aren't many trees - you guys must use wood stoves a lot!!! smile

#134391 - 05/28/10 07:04 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: phat]
Pat-trick Offline

That's a good argument. Maybe I'll make something else. Maybe I need to learn how to make dehydrated dinners/meals, or freeze dried, whatever, so that I can just add hot water and have a great and quick meal. Maybe I'll go look at the backpacking foods section of the forums, see how you guys do it.

the pictures are beautiful. I'm having a hard time imagining myself being there and looking at the vistas and knowing how I would feel being there. Are ya like awestruck? When I'm out in forests, I feel almost spiritual. It's sort of like feeling connected to the world, and all is well. Is it like that out there? Actually, I don't know what other folks feel, if it's similar to what I feel, being "out there" in nature. I get like that laying on my back looking at stars at night. Sort of humbled, awed, thrilled, impressed, and out of myself. Enlarged? Expanded? My words fail to describe my feelings. I don't want to say too much, because others have their feelings, too, and I don't want others to think my feelings are the correct ones.

Is the air clean in those places? I love forests, because the vegetation makes that good fresh oxygen, and the smells are wonderful. Does the air smell good in those places? What'd you call it, high alpine? I'll have to go back and read what you said, again. It looks sort of desolate up there. beautiful, but stark, bare, hard. What's it like for you being there? It's hard for me to imagine it.

Nice photography, btw.

Ah, western alpine. smile

edit: oh, maybe I could make an alcohol stove! I might keep makin the wood stove, just because it's such a problematic little bugger, and I want to figure it out. but i could also make an alky stove. turbo-charged, able to cook boston baked beans in a light weight backpackers oven. just kidding. lol

Edited by Pat-trick (05/28/10 07:08 PM)

#134392 - 05/28/10 07:04 PM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Glenn]
rionada Offline

Gorgeous Phat! - Thanks.

rionada

#134398 - 05/29/10 12:56 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Pat-trick]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Pat-trick
That's a good argument. Maybe I'll make something else. Maybe I need to learn how to make dehydrated dinners/meals, or freeze dried, whatever, so that I can just add hot water and have a great and quick meal. Maybe I'll go look at the backpacking foods section of the forums, see how you guys do it.

www.trailcooking.com - and look for "FBC" - freezer bag cooking recepies.

Quote:

the pictures are beautiful. I'm having a hard time imagining myself being there and looking at the vistas and knowing how I would feel being there. Are ya like awestruck? When I'm out in forests, I feel almost spiritual. It's sort of like feeling connected to the world, and all is well. Is it like that out there? Actually, I don't know what other folks feel, if it's similar to what I feel, being "out there" in nature. I get like that laying on my back looking at stars at night. Sort of humbled, awed, thrilled, impressed, and out of myself. Enlarged? Expanded? My words fail to describe my feelings. I don't want to say too much, because others have their feelings, too, and I don't want others to think my feelings are the correct ones.

Is the air clean in those places? I love forests, because the vegetation makes that good fresh oxygen, and the smells are wonderful. Does the air smell good in those places? What'd you call it, high alpine? I'll have to go back and read what you said, again. It looks sort of desolate up there. beautiful, but stark, bare, hard. What's it like for you being there? It's hard for me to imagine it.

Your feelings aren't far out of line. basically if you've been up somewhere like that you have the bug forever.

And I really don't have adequate words to describe it either. It's something very close to me, very personal, and very wonderful. Great place to be.

But I'm happy down in the trees too, not always but I still am. I'm happy I can find the special in just about any trail. and I can enjoy doing ones I've done before and not feel bored. But I feel very blessed to live where I live and be able to go to places like that with relative ease.
Browse my pictures

#134399 - 05/29/10 01:00 AM Re: Easy To Make Wood Stove [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
There aren't many trees - you guys must use wood stoves a lot!!! smile

Lolz smile
Browse my pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum