Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134219 - 05/25/10 09:49 AM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: ]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You don't have a metal plate to hold the bone together? My dad got a plate in high school, and then bent it a few years ago and had the plate replaced.

I think you are screwed, but you can always try an external that is tall.

#134226 - 05/25/10 11:04 AM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: ]
lori Offline

Check out the AARN packs, and google the Dixon roller pack. They are not traditional backpacks and might work better for you than the usual shoulder strap/hip belt combo.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134227 - 05/25/10 11:32 AM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: lori]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I'd imagine a good pack that puts the weight squarely on your hips would work just fine. An ultralight/frameless type pack would likely be worse, as they generally split the weight between hips and shoulders.

It would seem that a good pack with a well designed hip belt, and the shoulder strap on the offending shoulder left a bit looser, could be made to work just fine. My suggestion would be to get to a local gear shop, and try on different packs loaded with either your gear, or the weight packs they generally have available. If there's an REI near you, they might be worth checking out, because of their very open return policy. If you find out after a few miles on the trail that it's just not going to work for you, you can always take the thing back.

#134252 - 05/25/10 10:18 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: ]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If no pain = no surgery under normal conditions, might it be that backpacking is not considered "normal"? That is, if your doctor knows how much hiking means to you, might the whole risk/reward equation change in favor of the surgery?

#134255 - 05/26/10 02:37 AM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarb [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's what I was wondering! Curtis have another chat with your physician! I know that when I tore up most of the ligaments in my knee, my orthopedic surgeon was well aware that my life (outside of work) was hiking and backpacking, and he prescribed exercises, etc. accordingly--knowing that I was motivated to get back to the trail as soon as possible. If the unconnected collarbone is significantly cramping your life style, then it should be bolted together! I've had other medical conditions (vision problems) in which the physician's aim was to restore me to my former lifestyle. (Of course it just happened that one of my job duties was to calculate his year-end bonus, and I was at the stage where I couldn't tell 3 from 6 from 8 from 9 on my computer screen!) Maybe it's time to change doctors?

In the meantime, try on a pack that has load lifters which transfer practically all the weight to the hip belt. It may be that you can raise the load lifter high enough on the broken collarbone side so the shoulder strap carries no weight at all. It would be worth a try! Another possibility, if you can go really light, is to use only a fanny pack.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/26/10 02:38 AM)

#134258 - 05/26/10 08:30 AM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarb [Re: ]
chndlr04 Offline

Loc: spotaylvania, va
if you're willing to go basic(really basic) there is a good waist pack from maxpedition called sabercat, it has more than 1000cu in of space plus you can add on pouches, no its not the lightest but its good. i use it for my weekend trips

#134261 - 05/26/10 10:20 AM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarb [Re: chndlr04]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

How Heavy a pack causes you problems? it is not that difficult (or expensive) to get down to the 18 to 22 pound range for weekenders. Many people go a lot lighter than that. - So is it
that you need a way of packing that takes everything off the top of you, or you just need to lighten up?

Browse my pictures

#134702 - 06/04/10 12:59 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: ]
ohiohiker Offline

Grandma Gatewood hiked with a duffel bag slung over one shoulder. Maybe you could do the same with a light pack using only one shoulder strap?

#134705 - 06/04/10 01:23 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: ohiohiker]
Glenn Offline

Which sparks another random thought: Civil War soldiers used a blanket roll: all the little stuff lays in the center of the blanket; the blanket lays on top of the shelter half (sleeping bag or quilt on top of tent and fly, in this case.) Everything then rolls into a long sausage, tied at each end (webbing strap?), then slung over your good shoulder and tied together (another strap) around waist-high on the opposite side. A water bottle could be secured to your belt, using any of the water bottle pouches available, or a waist pack with such a pouch, which might make even more sense.

Radical, possibly impractical except with very light loads, but since we're brainstorming here, I thought I'd add my cent and half.

#134709 - 06/04/10 02:23 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: Glenn]
finallyME Offline

A year or two ago, I saw a DIY similar to the blanket roll over the shoulder that someone did at BPL. They said that after trying it out, they didn't like it.

#134712 - 06/04/10 03:04 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Offline

That's the problem with free advice: it's usually worth every penny! smile

Like I said, it was one of those random Friday afternoon thoughts.

#134714 - 06/04/10 03:36 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: Glenn]
finallyME Offline

Glenn I think your idea is good. I was just mentioning that someone had tried it out, so if the OP wished, he could see what someone else has done and not have to start from scratch. The person who tried it might not have liked it because he felt two shoulders with his pack felt better. But, if you only have one shoulder......

#134726 - 06/04/10 09:45 PM Re: Backpacking with a permaneantly broken collarbone [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Offline

Actually, I erased the first sentence and almost quite - my initial thought was that if it was a good idea, the Army would still be using it. (Given its record with integration and "don't ask, don't tell, the military is typically not an early adopter of things.)

I didn't really think of the idea that, if it's the only thing that works, it would be comfortable.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum