Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134159 - 05/24/10 01:36 PM Am I the only one who doesn't?
bmwrider Offline

Loc: Michigan, just N of detroit
How many of you finish most of your hikes without actually looking at a topo map?

I not asking if you bring one I just want to know if I'm the only one who ends their trip without ever looking at the topo during the hike.

This is not a question of the need to take or use a map I just want to know how many people never pull it out of the pack for what ever reason.

Please don't attack me over this its just a simple question

#134160 - 05/24/10 01:46 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Like anything else, it depends.

If I'm on familiar turf with clearly marked trails no. I don't even bring a map. If I'm off trail on new ground I'm checking the map all the time.

Those are the two extremes. There are lots of in-betweens too.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#134164 - 05/24/10 02:09 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Like Trailrunner said. On familiar trails I've hiked often, I might not even bring a map. In new territory, I don't just bring the map, I definitely consult it. Other pertinent factors are the length of the hike, the number of trail junctions, and how well marked those junctions might be.

#134165 - 05/24/10 02:09 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
lori Offline

I usually take one but in often visited areas, it's easy to navigate by landmark even off trail when there are obvious peaks and other features. That's pretty much all I did until I learned to use a map. But not all places have obvious landmarks....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134171 - 05/24/10 04:04 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: lori]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I always have one with me. On well marked trails I do not use it for navigation. I do however use it to cross reference with other things I see to plan future bushwhacks in the area. I will make notes on it of unmarked paths I find, etc...

#134172 - 05/24/10 04:17 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
SunsetBackpacker Offline

I like having a map with me, but I try really hard not to use it. I get anxious when I don't know where I am, but looking at the map takes away from time enjoying the trail, so I try really hard to curb my neuroses.

#134173 - 05/24/10 04:23 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: SunsetBackpacker]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
At home (Italian Alps) we never had maps because by the time we hiked alone or as a pair (from about 12) we already had done the same walks for years.
Everywhere else, apart from some places where I recognize individual trees.., I always have a map.
Franco

#134174 - 05/24/10 04:36 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Need and want are different. I seldom need to consult a map, but I want to. I enjoy looking at maps. It is nice to verify the features that I identified while planning at home.

A type of orienteering competition is a "memory" meet. There is a map at every control with the next control marked. You spend enough time with the map to plan your route then leave the map at the control and go to the next control without any map. Memory courses are often used to train.

#134178 - 05/24/10 06:25 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: ringtail]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't bother to take a map when hiking the Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop in the Columbia River Gorge for at least the 50th time!

I do take topo maps for less familiar trails, though. I will check it during rest stops to locate where I am, get an idea of where the trail will go during the next hour or see how close I am to the next stream, camping place, etc. Even when I don't really need the map for navigation, if I come to a viewpoint, I will sit with map and compass identifying nearby mountain peaks and other landmarks. This is not only fun but good practice for actual navigation.

I'd say that the main problem with never looking at your map is that you won't know what to do with it when you really need it!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/24/10 06:29 PM)

#134181 - 05/24/10 06:50 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I use my maps a lot! I always take USGS 7.5-minute maps. When off-trail (actually most of my miles) I actually have the map out, in my hand! I am not one to repeat trips very often - so I am usually in new territiory all the time. I also write on my maps and keep a journal on the back. I always have my pencil in my pocket and take extensive notes. I have done this for over 40 years and it is really fun to look back at my old trips - I have actually transferred all this data to my computer data base.

It is not that I could not find the way without a map, it is just my preference to match my travel to the map. I think it is really fun. As a consequence, I am very good at orientieering from a map. Practice makes perfect.

By the way, I DO NOT use a GPS!

#134192 - 05/24/10 10:12 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: lori]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By lori
I usually take one but in often visited areas, it's easy to navigate by landmark even off trail when there are obvious peaks and other features. That's pretty much all I did until I learned to use a map. But not all places have obvious landmarks....

Same with me.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#134195 - 05/24/10 11:56 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I'm with Daisy. I am usually hiking new territory, and I'll look at the map all the time--not only to see where I am, but also to see what might be around the corner, or on the other side of the ridge. It's amazing what you don't notice until you see it on the map---oh look! There's a little lake there!

And like Daisy, I don't use GPS in the mountains.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#134201 - 05/25/10 12:47 AM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
For me it really depends, on familiar trails, or well marked parked trails, I won't even look. On ones I've done multiple times as well as side approaches I won't even take one.

For off trail stuff on the other hand, I do look. often not so much because I can't get where I'm going without one, but looking at one when off trail in mountains really helps you find the better ways to get there.

On flatter ground it's pretty much useless - my favorite stuff there is actually air photos - so I know where the cutlines and the forest cover types are. - but again, only if I'm not familiar with the area already.

Browse my pictures

#134213 - 05/25/10 09:22 AM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am usually hiking new stuff and always carry a map and consult it often. Like Jim likes to point out. Once you don't know where you are, a compass is worthless. If you always know where you are, then it is never an issue.

#134214 - 05/25/10 09:30 AM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Like the others, it depends. I always have maps with me, but on trails I'm very familiar with, I may not get them out. (or, if I do, it's at night, just to check the next day's route.) On trails that are new to me, I use the maps frequently to check for the next water source or trail junction, or just to see what kind of progress I'm making.

I like having the maps with me, since many areas I hike have enough intersecting trails that I can change my route during the hike if I'm moving faster - or slower - than the pre-trip plan.

#134238 - 05/25/10 05:31 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I always have a map. I use it heavy duty, with GPS, when I’m in unknown country. In known country, I don’t use it except to show the group where we are.

Interesting tidbit: I have been on 3 recent trips with some young kids (6 and 8 years old). They easily do 15 miles/day with a small pack on. Instead of asking “Are we there yet?” they always ask “Where are we?” And they just love seeing on the map where they are. It’s embarrassing when they ask “weren’t we supposed to be on that trail over here?” And yes we were supposed to be there but I took the wrong fork in the woods…

-Barry

#134251 - 05/25/10 10:12 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: BarryP]
Glenn Offline

Naw, you didn't take the wrong fork - you were just testing them to see if they were paying attention! wink

Sounds like they've got the right attitude. My stock answer for "Are we there yet?" when we were clearly deep in the woods, was "Yes." That usually corrected the problem. (By the way, the appropriate answer for "Do you know what time it is?" is also "Yes.")

#134413 - 05/29/10 01:09 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
bmwrider Offline

I have to admit I have never even used a topo on a first time hike for the trail, although I always get the park drawn trail map.

I should start using a topo on my hikes, its foolish not to I have to admit

#134419 - 05/29/10 02:36 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
No maps on familiar trails = OK

No maps on unfamiliar trails = foolish

No maps on off-trail country = awaiting disaster

#134432 - 05/30/10 12:42 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I rarely carry a map and rarely consult it when I do. The data base seems so old and the trails change so it just confuses me to be standing at the intersection of two trails, neither of which is on the map. I do sometimes take Google aerial photos with way points written on them. I much prefer to navigate with a GPS and my own prechosen path.
Jim

#134433 - 05/30/10 03:30 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

"I prefer...my own prechosen path."

Translation: marching to the beat of different drummer - perhaps even having one's own percussion section. grin

Just teasing, Jim - I never could pass up a straight line.

#134442 - 05/30/10 11:38 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: bmwrider]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
I enjoy looking at maps beforehand and planning my trips and then seeing how closely my mind came to matching the terrain I hike. I rarely go back to the same trail as I feel like you have only so many hiking days in your lifetime so I try to go on new trails almost all the time. Makes a map a mite more necessary.

-Skippy

#134453 - 05/31/10 03:31 PM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: skippy]
bmwrider Offline

Michigan is also very flat and alot of the backpacking trails will not show much in the way of contour lines making it hard to find any land features to reference.

This just makes it hard to use topos here but not a good reason not to carry one but it is why I don't

#134499 - 06/01/10 11:21 AM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Jim, you are right, the old trails change. But, the mountains generally aren't moving much, so my 1978 maps are still pretty good. I never check where I am on a trail. I always look to see where I am with respect to the mountains.

#134501 - 06/01/10 11:42 AM Re: Am I the only one who doesn't? [Re: finallyME]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Expect man-made features to change. There is a 4 wheel drive road marked on a 1958 map of an area that became Wilderness in the early 70's. Forest fires change vegetation boundaries. Things change, for the most part mountains stay the same.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum