Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133866 - 05/17/10 09:42 PM whittling in the backcountry
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
ok...so often i like to whittle at camp after a day of hiking...nice to get dry by a fire making a decoy or a nice stick...or heck just something to do in the rain under a tarp...

however i never really thought about the environment...so i guess this goes to my extreme conservation friends...

is my idea of making a walking stick from every state of the AT a bad idea? is taking the branch from its natural decompising spot an issue?

also what about all the shavings i leave behind? i'm not leaving anything that normally wouldn't be there just in a diffrent package....

i imagine my impact is small...but i also imagine that if everyone took a few berries from a bush by days end that bush would be bare....

#133868 - 05/17/10 10:39 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

As long as you're not cutting green wood, I don't see it as a problem.

If it bothers your conscience, then don't do it.

If the idea of a walking stick is too much, then carve a small token from small pieces you find along the trail.

Of course if you want to pick up a rock in PA and take it with you out of the state and off the trail, I'm sure the other hikers would appreciate it. smile

#133872 - 05/17/10 10:58 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: Tango61]
MarkNM Offline

i think i'm good then!

and green wood!!! clearly you have never whittled!!!

with my conservationist inside happy...i will probably go with the token idea(orginal idea of the walking sticks was to gift them to my father a cane user for years)...but i'll probably only do that if i see a really nice piece of wood...

anyone have any recommendations on hardwoods of the south...GA<NC,TN area of the trail, and was wondering if anyone ever finished a piece had it stained etc....i'm used to the woods of NE, like oak, maple, birch...and 987090879 pines...but i'm curious/excited to sink my edge into something new!

#133878 - 05/18/10 02:10 AM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Whittle away responsibly, you're using a renewable resource. If you feel guilty just plant a few trees.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#133889 - 05/18/10 07:14 AM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: Trailrunner]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
You are not whittling, you are clearing brush and reducing the fuel load......

#133892 - 05/18/10 08:45 AM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I like to whittle sometimes as well, IF I bring a knife big enough to do so. As far as the "environment" goes....I cut and clear more big branches, live green ones, from my park all year long, than you'd ever whittle in a lifetime. Incorporate your whittling with some trail maintenance! grin
One of my most prize possessions is a cedar walking stick with a leather grip, turquoise stones hanging from leather strips, and a silver dollar embedded in the end. Glossy blond finish, with a rubber tip. A guy in my neighborhood asked if he could cut some cedar boughs for walking sticks. I said "take all you want!" (cedars are a plague here). My stick showed up on my front porch....it's art and too pretty to hike with!

Post pics of some of your artwork.

#133916 - 05/18/10 07:48 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
If the idea is a token from every AT state, it could be sort of neat if you combined a piece of deadwood from the crest of the trail in the smokies, where it straddles the TN/NC state line, to represent both states...

I sort of had an idea of something NC whittled on one side of the piece of wood, and something TN whittled into the other side.

Just a thought... laugh

#133921 - 05/18/10 08:49 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Quote:

Surely you jest!

I've both whittled and carved, green and dry. Both for required effect. Is it easy? NO. Is it worth it? Depends on the piece. The trick is getting it to dry the way you want it to.

#133923 - 05/18/10 09:00 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By MarkNM

I'm not familiar with woods of the South or NE, but some woods in the NW are best carved green; for example, alder is too hard & brittle to carve otherwise. Professional carvers from my tribe will even harvest alder, debark it, split it, and store roughed chunks in water for future use.

The only trees I will actively cut are alders, which fill in roads & trails if left unchecked. Otherwise I look for good wood that's already died naturally, my favorite being western red cedar. The stuff never rots.

Happy whittling! Leaving behind wood chips is worlds away from leaving stone chips. I wouldn't worry about it.

#133931 - 05/19/10 12:12 AM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: Wolfeye]
MarkNM Offline

i'll have to improve my whittling....most of my green experience has left me sticky...and warped weird...

i don't like completly dead as it can chip off/crack....i like something thats felled but not for years....

i def like the nc/tn idea...i bet i could do something along that everywhere really...

#135550 - 06/27/10 02:15 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I am a student for Wildlife Biology and am aspiring to be a conservationist in the near future. I have to say, taking dead wood is not a bad thing. When there is room on the forest floor, plant life will quickly take its place and compete for space and light. So taking that stick will allow any seedlings underneath to wake up and sprout, or makes new room for seedlings to land and grow.

As for the chips, just think decomposition and organic matter making all the richer soil.

I see your point, however, where your impact is small, but if everyone did the same thing there would eventually be no berries for birds and animals.

#135571 - 06/27/10 11:30 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: GDeadphans]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Depends on where the dead wood is. In alpine regions, the Forest Service and Park Service want you to leave it strictly alone. That's because those thin soils need all the decaying organic matter they can get. Fires are generally prohibited at or above timberline for that reason.

Of course lower down in the thick forest, there's plenty of wood to play with!

In the interest of Leave No Trace and the next folks to come along, you might want to toss your shavings in the bushes, if you don't use them in your wood stove or campfire.

#135795 - 07/02/10 06:27 PM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: OregonMouse]
CrowKel Offline

Loc: Alberta
River Sticks;

I think the neatest wood I have ever found was in a creek that ran down a mountain. There was a huge stick jam (not a log jam, cuz the sticks were smaller in diameter). I dont know what this stick orignally looked like, but when I happened upon it, it was knobbly and warbly but still very oddly straight. It was red and dark brown stripes when it was waterlogged, and even now with laquer on it, it is still fairly striped. It is almost 6" tall, and it was a heavy burdon to bring down to the camp. (good thing thats what boyfriends are for)

Its so full of characteristic, and I am going to get some palm leather, cuz on hot days it gets sticky/stinky. <--laquer = yucky. (But I like shiney things) I dont bring it out very often anymore. Its too prized. Fat lotta good it does me at home tho...

(never thought Id feel this way about a stick, but its my favorite stick. Thanks Mother Nature)

Oh yeah, and 1 more thing, the most common game we play, every single time we go out into the woods. Spear the dead log. I have learned how to spear, how to make a spear and what is the best rotted out log to throw a spear into etc. Its all about balance, concentration and will-power, and a little show-offiness smile

#150027 - 05/08/11 12:44 AM Re: whittling in the backcountry [Re: MarkNM]
jwild Offline

Whittle away! I enjoy whittling old timey looking fishing lures. If your worried about the impact of picking up a stick or the shavings, then you should probably stay home, better yet you shouldn't own a home, you should sit perfectly still in silence in the middle of the woods until your borrowed energy is given back to mother earth...ok I kid I kid but it is good that you are thinking about it grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum