Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133772 - 05/15/10 02:37 AM My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. ****
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Hello all....okay, everyone here has inspired me to get my weight down even further than last year. It is not ULW by any means but it is much reduced than in years past. I backpack to fly fish the back country so I take a lot of non-minimalist stuff. I do lots of trips into serious mosquito territory so I "need" a tent and tons of repellent on long trips. Plus I just love the comfort of a big tent....especially when you're pinned in for a day during rainstorms. For anyone who thinks it doesn't sometimes rain for days on end in the Rockies has not been around Colorado for the last two weeks!!!!!! And the Rockies is serious t-storm territory, so I have always placed an emphasis on rain gear and staying dry. Bears don't kill backpackers, hypothermia kills backpackers.

I will embarrassingly say I've spilled some pretty serious coin to get it down to where it is now. So for now, no more new gear. I want to thank everyone for including their lists, now here is mine. I don't have a scale, so weights are from specs off websites and/or approximations:

REI Flash 65 pack......... ............51 oz
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 tent..........54
WM highlite bag w/sack................18
Therm a Rest Neo Air pad (reg)........14
teva sandals................................22
weather blanket/ground cloth...........12
MSR pocket rocket (no case)... ........3
REI/Evernew Ti Pasta Pot w/sack.......5
Sea to Summit 10L carry water basin.....5
3 cheap plastic water bottles.........3
Gorillapod camera pod.................1
Integral Designs poncho/tarp..........10
Golite Tumalo rain jacket.............9
REI UL rain pants.........................13
PUR water filter (minus bottle att.).......10
first aid kit..............................3
compass and maps......................2
iPod shuffle and outdoor speaker......2
2 spray cans (powder) Off repellent...8
8 or 9 Off towelettes with DEET.......1
flashlight/lantern combo..............6
trowel.....................................3
50 ft paracord.............................2
various sized stuff/dry sacks(3)......2
knife......................................3
Petzl Tikka XP head lamp..............4
Sea to summit head net................1
(2) mini bic lighters....................1
toothbrush and paste..................1
small bottle with soap................0.5
small bottle of oil for baking fish...0.5
3" x 2" scoth brite pad...............0.3
roll on sunscreen/lip balm............1
bandanna..............................0.5
(3-4) brawny reusable wipes...........0.3
alum foil for windscreen and baking fish...0.5
mesh bear bag...........................1
(4-5) Oscarware grill toppers to grill fish....0.5
new pair of jersey gloves.................1.5
plastic bags (food and trash).............1?
3-4 Taco Bell plastic sporks..............0.5?
TP minus cardbd. core.....................0.5?

I didn't include any of my clothes because I have no idea of their weights. I mainly have REI's line of MTS garments which I include on almost every trip: one LW short sleeve, one LW long sleeve, and one "heavyweight" fleece MTS pullover for cold nights. For around camp and fishing, I have a long sleeve cotton T shirt that mosquitoes can't bite through. And I have a pair of convertible cargo shorts/pants that I hike and fish in. I will only wear cotton athletic socks due to their extreme comfort factor, but they require I bring a fresh pair (or two) for each day. I have a fleece cap and I hike and fish in a wide-brimmed outriggers cotton hat.

I'm still trying to find ways to not have to take so much darn repellent. I choose to only hike in shorts, and I wet wade with my sandals on while I fish so shorts only as well. And I hate head nets while fishing, they're just too distracting. So, I really have to depend on repellent if I want to stay half way sane around the skeeters in July. I've bought some Permathrin, and will experiment with treated clothing. But I have to have lots of repellent, period. I just spend too much time exposed in prime skeeter territory.

My flashlight/lantern combo is heavy, but it just puts out so much light around camp and I can hang it in the tent and it's like having a house lamp in your tent. In the future, I will find a better light/lantern combo. The trowel is a necessity because I make my living with my hands (delicately) and the idea of digging a 6" cathole in the timber with a rock or stick is a no-no. And the one "extraneous" item I won't shed is my 10 liter camp basin. I couldn't imagine trying to camp solo w/o one. Almost every area I camp has restrictions as to how close you can camp to moving and still water so the camp basin is a true luxury I can't do without.

For food, I just mainly do the commercially made freeze dried stuff. And I like Zatarain's line of beans and rice box dinners. They're pretty light, easy to cook, and very nutritious. I did not include my fuel canister in my list, and quite often I bring half full canisters because I'm solo and I only cook about once day. And of course a big bag of trail mix and I'll bring along some string cheese. I always bring along a package of tortillas and make lots of fish tacos from the trout I catch. If I eat lots of fish, I just save the expensive freeze dried stuff for the next trip. (please no flames re: the trout.....i only harvest fish from overpopulated non-trophy fisheries) I don't do coffee or tea. I filter water often on trail and in camp, so I never have more than 3 pounds of water on me. I do bring booze usually, and I've found a way to save weight there too!!! I like to bring along Bacardi 151 and I dilute it with lots of powdered lemonade and filtered water. The 151 also is great for an emergency fire starter - seriously!!!!

So there ya have it...right above 17 pounds with no clothes, food, booze, or fishing gear. But that includes tons of "luxury" items. Two years ago, my pack weighed about 45 pounds for a 3-4 day trip, now I've got it down to around 30 depending on food and water.

I know many of you don't consider 30 pounds to be a light load, but it's feather light to me. I'm 6'00" and weigh 185 lbs so this load is less than a fifth of my legitimate body weight laugh

Edited by countr21 (05/15/10 02:48 AM)
Edit Reason: proofed

#133775 - 05/15/10 08:06 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've only got one issue with your gear: "I will embarrassingly say I've spilled some pretty serious coin..."

Why be embarrassed? It always surprises me that folks think spending money on this pastime is somehow "wrong." Would you ever say you were embarrassed because you bought top line carpentry tools for your shop, or the best cookwear for your restaurant, or first-class fishing gear? I bet not.

I'm not saying you have to spend lots of money to backpack - you don't, and the fact that the backcountry is accessible to all is one of the great things about it. I'm also not trying to disparage those who are on tight budgets; I've been there myself. If you enjoy seeing how little money you can spend, or enjoy making your own gear, that's great; I'm not saying that's wrong at all. Those are just different ways of approaching it.

But I don't think that spending freely on high-quality gear is somehow inherently bad, or a less "pure" way to enjoy the sport. It's just another way to approach it. (Of course, I have to think that way - I'm also a gearaholic.)

So, enjoy your gear, remove the blush from your cheeks, and hold your head up proudly! smile

Edited by Glenn (05/15/10 08:08 AM)

#133778 - 05/15/10 09:05 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: Glenn]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I agree. If you use the stuff, it's worth it! After all, what else are you going to do with the money? But there are a few items on your list that I don't carry:

teva sandals................................22--I use crocs, which weigh half as much. And I have a pair with bungie fasteners to keep them on when my fishing requires wading.

weather blanket/ground cloth...........12--I use a poly tarp--again, about half the weight.

Sea to Summit 10L carry water basin.....5--I don't need this. water bottles work fine.

Integral Designs poncho/tarp..........10
Golite Tumalo rain jacket.............9
REI UL rain pants.........................13--that's a lot of raingear. Admittedly, YMMV, but I just take the poncho.

2 spray cans (powder) Off repellent...8--we use non-aerosols--they weigh less--about 2 ounces each. Remember to count the weight of the containter, not just the contents.

flashlight/lantern combo..............6
Petzl Tikka XP head lamp..............4--do you need both? We don't.

Those changes would reduce your pack weight by about four pounds. Not a huge deal, but importnant none the less--at least if you are going to the trouble of leaving the cardboard tube of the TP behind!

Edited by balzaccom (05/15/10 09:06 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#133779 - 05/15/10 09:06 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
You make an excellent point, but I think some people are "morally outraged" because of the existence of overpriced, over built, essentially frivolous and useless gear that is all too readily available. Of course, precisely which item/gadget fits in that category is a subject of lively debate.

I have always felt that it is critical to spend whatever is necessary for the three "B"s - boots, bag (sleeping), backpack. Not necessarily a lot of money, but whatever is required to get suitable gear. Suitable gear is usually durable and will serve for many years, making for memorable trips. Once you get beyond the basics, you can save and economize in many ways - I have cooked many a meal in my coffee can over an open campfire. This is fine for most outdoors situations, although it won't work at Camp VI in the Himalayas.

We all buy (me, especially)over the top gear that is heavily marketed. Usually cheaper items that are just as satisfactory exist. Again, my frivolous may not be your frivolous.

#133785 - 05/15/10 12:33 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
As a fellow Rocky Mountain fly-fishman, I feel your pain about taking all of the additional gear needed, and of course the endless mosquito attacks.

Some suggestions:
- I long ago stopped bring wading sandals. Most of the streams I have come across in the backcountry are rather narrow and no real advantage is gained, most of the time, by being able enter the water. In fact, more often that not I find myself casting further-back or in a low-profile position as to not spook the fish. Lakes are the same, I just fish from the bank-- I perhaps lose 5-10ft of distance in most cases.

-Ground cloth, go to Home Depot and grab painter's drop cloth or window covering. It's cheap and light.

-Water in the Rockies is plentyful. I just take one 2L Platypus and one Aquafiner water bottle. Walking the minium 100yrds to a water source is a minimal inconvience that I do once a day.

-Cooking fish. Nix the grill toppers and just wrap your fish in tin-foil and place directly into the coals of a fire. How do you cook them if fires are not permitted?

-I would probably nix the poncho-tarp. You have a rain jacket, rain pants and your tent.

-Your DEET problem is easy. Purchase liquid DEET and repackage into small dropper bottles. No need to then bring the big spray cans.

-I think most people get by with just a headlamp. I can't think of a need for three light sources.

#133794 - 05/15/10 02:53 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
countr21 Offline

Wow, awesome feedback everyone....i'm lovin it.

Some ideas for me to ponder with the help:

I have to have some type of sandals for at the very least stream crossings. The idea of hiking long hours in saturated boots is incomprehensible to me. And I don't necessarily take my waders on BP trips.......I just wear my sandals and shorts and "wet wade" in as far as I can stand the cold water and then hop up on a good rock 10-15 feet out from shore. But, I did just buy some LW waders for fishing on day hikes and these require separate wading footwear. Balzaccom could you post some more info about the crocs you use? My Tevas do not work with the waders, the straps are too tight.

I am going to immediately look into painter's drop cloth for my ground cover. I used to sell paint supplies so I know just the stuff. Should be able to save some quick weight here with a small investment. I've read other, detailed posts about the ideas with this product so I'm good to go.

It's obvious I've got too much raingear (with that good tent included). It's just every trip I get blasted by afternoon t-storms, and every third trip I contend with prolonged downpours. I've always hiked in the poncho (great ventilation) and fished/camped/scouted trout water in the jacket and pants. I also use the poncho as a clean ground cover to organize/store gear around camp. The jacket serves double duty when it's just dry and chilly and breezy as the outer layer. I think my compromise is to can the pants........they're the heaviest piece of raingear and probably serve the least as far as the comfort factor is concerned. A side note here, my old work schedule had me working the late hours so I used to take a poor sleep schedule with me into the mountains. i.e. I quite often was still hiking/setting up camp during those late afternoon t-storms. But, my new schedule will allow me to wake very early now.......so maybe I'll be better prepared for those storms.

I am definitely going to do something about the repellent. It's just way too heavy (and bulky). At the very least I am going to toss one of the cans for my upcoming, long trip into skeeter central (Teton Wilderness) ChrisFol where are the dropper bottles available? I've used the Sawyer spray bottles before, too......but didn't like them. I am going to give them more of a go around on some day hikes and test them better. Also, the DEET towelettes work great and they are ULW. I'll just bring along more of these.

And the head lamp is gone.......I don't know why I kept bringing it. I guess I always thought I would need it when hiking at night.....only one problem - I never hike at night. The flashlight/lantern combo is still heavy, but I just love how much direct and ambient light it can put out. It stays until I can find a cheaper alternative with the same performance. BTW, it's an "Energizer Weather Ready" light found at Walmart for about $15. I don't know the exact weight but it feels the same as one can of that heavy repellent (4-6 oz???).

Sounds like I can save 2-2.5 pounds if I do the changes you guys recommend. I can't go with all of the recommendations. Sorry, but I love that camp basin way too much!!!! I'm a little bit of a clean freak in the field, and it makes cleaning tasks and filtering water a snap. Still, I can drop another 14% drop off of the base. That's huge. Fantastic ideas. grin

And I'm not ashamed of the money I've spent (thanks for the support here as well)....it just seems like lots of coin. But well worth it for sure. BP fly fishing is my passion and it has allowed me to shed dozens of pounds and my fitness level is through the roof compared to what it was 5 years ago. Spending money on your health and happiness should never be a concern.

#133795 - 05/15/10 03:06 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: ChrisFol]
countr21 Offline

Originally Posted By ChrisFol

-Cooking fish. Nix the grill toppers and just wrap your fish in tin-foil and place directly into the coals of a fire. How do you cook them if fires are not permitted?

I've actually never even used the grill toppers yet, but included them in my list because i intend to try them. Jason Klass has recommended them. They actually weigh 0.8oz each and Jason claims they are tough enough to grill trout on when propped up by rocks.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/

I have always just baked fish in the campfire wrapped in foil. But I thought about adding some nice grilled flavor too the trout with the grilling idea. I figured they would be worth the weight of a couple of ounces to bring 2-3 along. Plus, I sometimes get wrapped up into the whole "grilled food over a campfire" routine. And when BP'g it is so hard to do.....so these little grills look dandy. Hope they're strong enough to work.

I never cook trout if fires are not permitted. The only place where this has been a concern was RMNP and the IPW and I'm only in there for one night at a time anyway. All other areas I go or intend to go always have allowed fires with some minor restrictions. And no campfire bans this summer with all of the moisture the Rockies have received this spring.

Edited by countr21 (05/15/10 03:08 PM)

#133797 - 05/15/10 04:22 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I have to say that buying top end gear is just morally wrong. A piece of plastic makes up for a tent, ground cloth, poncho, rain coat and rain pants. No stove required just a pack of matches will do. A string tied to a stick works as a fishing pole... Bring some hooks and a can of salmon eggs.
Never mind my $800 pack and $800 tent, I won't even tell you what my fishin pole is worth, or that the eyes are wrapped with gold thread... The only other comment I have is that I have never ever carried sandals camping, ever, and never needed them.
Jim smile

#133799 - 05/15/10 05:03 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By countr21

But, I did just buy some LW waders for fishing on day hikes and these require separate wading footwear.

I am just curious, which waders are these? I generally don't take waders because combined with seperate wading boots, it is just too much bulk and weight. But if I do then I just take my Orvis hip-waders-- I certainly have no need for full chest-highs on these waters and I haven't found anything lighter or more compact.

ChrisFol where are the dropper bottles available?

I have found cheap bottles at REI: http://www.rei.com/category/40006333

A more expensive, but sturider option can be found at Gossamee Gear, MLD, Z-packs, BPL etc
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/mini_dropper_bottles.html

#133803 - 05/16/10 12:54 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: ChrisFol]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
They're actually not Crocs, but something that starts with a "K"...don't know their name, as we've lost the box and the shoes don't have logos on them. (what were they thinking?)

They are made of the same material as Crocs, but lace up with bungie cord so they seem to stay on my feet better.

I was not a fan of these at first. Like jim, I always just assumed that I wore one pair of shoes backpacking (a pair of relatively light boots) and that anything more than that was overkill and a waste of weight.

Then my wife started carrying a pair of Crocs...she likes to use them for stream crossings--keeping her boots dry and saving wear and tear on her feet. But she fell in love with them in camp. She takes her boots off and sighs in relief every evening--letting her feet breathe after a long day on the trail. I got tired of her satisfied sighs of delight, and decided to try my own pair. I am sold on them, for all of the above, plus wading when I am fishing.

And they literall weigh 11 ounces--carried strapped to the back of my pack fo easy access. I think I paid all of about $15 for them.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#133840 - 05/17/10 09:23 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Since I don't see a camera on your list, what is the Gorillapod for?

An iPod shuffle and outdoor speaker for 1 ounce? Do you have a link to the speaker? How long is the battery life on both?

#133851 - 05/17/10 05:35 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
lori Offline

I have to have some type of sandals for at the very least stream crossings. The idea of hiking long hours in saturated boots is incomprehensible to me.

I thought that way too. Then I got some mesh trail runners and used them with some lightweight wool socks a week ago in low elevation Sespe Wilderness doing ten creek crossings, sometimes within minutes of the last one. I experimented with crossing barefoot, crossing in croc knockoffs, and just marching through. I generally hate squishing along in wet shoes. Within five minutes of walking my feet felt fine, just a little moist but warm and comfy. When we stopped to camp I allowed them to dry off and put on dry socks, wrung out the wet ones and left them overnight to dry. Since they didn't quite get totally dry the next day I put them right back on and marched through the creek(s) ten times, and was absolutely comfy. No problems related to having wet feet. It was cold to the point of leaving frost on stuff at night but mid 70s in the day.

Had I been wearing Goretex anything, this would have been miserable. Just food for thought...

I have a spincast rig and fly fish in streams and lakes with a bobber. Most areas I go have restricted fishers to artificial lures so I am left with spinners and flies anyway. My fishing gear has been whittled down to a pound, 7 oz of which is a light Pflueger reel of sufficient heft to handle 6-8 lb test. (some of the lakes have some big 'uns.) My usual cooking gear is a few squares of heavy foil, packet of garlic salt, packets of lemon juice - there is nothing like fresh trout!

Cheap fake crocs from the drugstore with squares of felt superglued to the bottom make good light stream shoes that won't slip on slick rock surfaces.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#133853 - 05/17/10 06:41 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" (yer socks) [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I'd say get some good ThorLo Hiker socks. Very comfy thick looped terry inside, long lasting & US made. REI sells 'em.

That way you only need to carry 2 pair. Wash one pair & hang 'em on yer pack to dry while you wear the other pair.

Eric

#133867 - 05/17/10 10:25 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" (yer socks) [Re: 300winmag]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Don't forget a pair for sleeping in when it's cold. I keep those in my sleeping gear, but only when it's cold. And, this pair is looser than the ones I wear in my boots.

I use three pair - wearing one, 1 is drying on my pack (held on with safety pins) and a third in my pack. I hate putting on wet socks in the morning. I'll rinse out the pair that I wore that day and hang them over the ridge line of my tarp. I attach them to my pack the next morning when I get ready to leave. They dry out pretty quick in the sun when they're hanging on the pack.

#133877 - 05/18/10 02:06 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: ndsol]
countr21 Offline

Originally Posted By ndsol
Since I don't see a camera on your list, what is the Gorillapod for?

An iPod shuffle and outdoor speaker for 1 ounce? Do you have a link to the speaker? How long is the battery life on both?

I left the camera off the list because I carry it in my pocket.......I guess I considered it like my boots or sunglasses. It's on me and not in my pack, so I left it off. But it's weight, no doubt about it.

As for the speaker, it is this one: http://www.gpx.com/store/p/315-SA118S.aspx I bought at Wal Mart last spring. I just brought it out of the drawer and I would guess it weighs about 1.5-2 ounces with the batteries in it (2 AAA batts). But the iPod I have probably would not even register on an ounce scale. I wish I had an ounce scale to weigh small items. I might try a cheap mail letter scale.

And the iPod shuffle I have is the older, smaller, current model like this one: http://www.dirjournal.com/computers-journal/apple%E2%80%99s-new-ipod-shuffle/

#133879 - 05/18/10 02:18 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: ChrisFol]
countr21 Offline

Originally Posted By ChrisFol

But, I did just buy some LW waders for fishing on day hikes and these require separate wading footwear.

I am just curious, which waders are these? I generally don't take waders because combined with seperate wading boots, it is just too much bulk and weight. But if I do then I just take my Orvis hip-waders-- I certainly have no need for full chest-highs on these waters and I haven't found anything lighter or more compact.

ChrisFol where are the dropper bottles available?

I have found cheap bottles at REI: http://www.rei.com/category/40006333

A more expensive, but sturider option can be found at Gossamee Gear, MLD, Z-packs, BPL etc
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/mini_dropper_bottles.html

I don't know the brand name of the waders. I call them lightweight because they are about half the weight on my insulated waders. When fishing in them, you half to layer up underneath or get out of the water every 10-15 minutes to warm up.

They're light enough that I would pack them on a BP trip if I were headed to area that required wading....but it hasn't come up yet.

#133899 - 05/18/10 11:34 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
Using a Gossamer Gear Gorilla or ULA Ohm backpack would save you 1.5 pounds.

#133905 - 05/18/10 02:18 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: countr21]
SunsetBackpacker Offline

Have you tried a steripen instead of the PUR? Even with their prefilter, it's a little lighter than the PUR and every ounce counts, right?

#133906 - 05/18/10 03:00 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Think Jim might an issue with setting priorities goodjob

#133908 - 05/18/10 06:19 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: sabre11004]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I think Jim was joking. lol

#133926 - 05/18/10 10:22 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: SunsetBackpacker]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By SunsetBackpacker
Have you tried a steripen instead of the PUR? Even with their prefilter, it's a little lighter than the PUR and every ounce counts, right?

Or use aquamira and save a few more..
Browse my pictures

#133960 - 05/19/10 06:10 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: phat]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By phat
If you are talking about Aquamira drops, well I would rather use something that says it will work for what needs to be killed.

#133963 - 05/19/10 06:21 PM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: ndsol]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By ndsol
Originally Posted By phat
If you are talking about Aquamira drops, well I would rather use something that says it will work for what needs to be killed.

MicroPur tablets; 30L worth weighs 0.9oz on my scale. Can't get much lighter than that and does exactly what it says on the tin.

#133996 - 05/20/10 04:25 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: ChrisFol]
countr21 Offline

Regarding the MicroPur tablets, those look like a pretty cool product. I have no worries about the taste of the water from the sources I get water from.

My only issue is that the packaging says a "4 hour treat time for effectiveness."

My form of water treatment while BP'g goes something like this.....
- first off, I consume large quantities of water when hiking vigorously (>1.5 gallons a day?)
- starting the trip I drink a lot of water at the TH
- I start hiking carrying very little water (two 16oz bottles) and consume the minimum until first break
- filter and consume quite a bit of water at break(s), refill 2 bottles and return to the trail
- get to first camp, and filter and consume hi quantity of water again, refill 2 bottles for dinner and nightime
- unlimited filtered water at camp(s)
- continue treatment schedule until returning to TH to depart and consume stored water at car

These tablets would work great in camp. But I like to carry the minimum on the trail, especially when hiking adjacent to immediate water sources (the vast majority of my BP trips). And when on the trail, it seems one would have to carry a large reserve of treated water because these tablets don't allow quick consumption of local water sources. Because who stops for four hours? Carrying a large reserve of water just kinda defeats the purpose.

Do any of you have experiences with these tablets on the trail?

#134002 - 05/20/10 09:23 AM Re: My base weight.....it's "heavy" but here it goes.. [Re: phat]
jasonklass Offline

That's a lot of insect repellent you're carrying. Have you seen these? Go Ready Insect Repellent

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum