Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133694 - 05/13/10 10:26 PM Re: TAKING MY LIFE BACK [Re: sabre11004]
gonegonzo Offline

I originally started this post . I had problems with my registration but have it woprked out now .

I haven't reached my goal dropping weight yet . I'm on my way however . I've set a plan where I'm hiking and bicycling every other outting . Of course there are days where I can't make it but I try 5 out of 7 days of training per week.

I'd still like to see some input on this post as to how others are doing .

Thx Tom aka Gonzo

#133766 - 05/14/10 09:48 PM Re: TAKING MY LIFE BACK [Re: gonegonzo]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Well before i started packing agin I was around 215 and 5 feet 11 Not huge but miserable, Heaviest in my life. I started walking in prep for my smokies trip" First Backpacing trip in over 30 years" I walk 3 days a week about 2.5 miles very fast. I am at 185 now , and had no real problems on my Smokies trip. I only hiked about seven miles a day with begin pack rate at 36 pound water and all! I cant wait to go again I am motivated!

#133875 - 05/17/10 11:48 PM Re: TAKING MY LIFE BACK [Re: gonegonzo]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I've always been active, so I havn't had to take anything back. I am to the point a little of not caring about things as much as I should. Stay up late on weekends, pig out on snacks at night too, lost some motivation, tired of working, but still have another 10 years almost to go. At a Health Fair at work last Fall, one test showed my cholesterol was only out of whack by 10%. Switching to sorbet or sherbert from ice cream should help a little. I have only gone up one pant size in the last 30 years and that has been in the last four years, so I'm not wasting away too badly. I do notice that I can hit the trail hard my first day out for a long bp trip, but some of the other days I am not too motivated.

#133887 - 05/18/10 06:59 AM Re: TAKING MY LIFE BACK [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
So, exactly how old are your teenage kids? grin

I remember mine had a similar effect on me - fortunately, we all eventually outgrew it, and I now get to enjoy them as adults. I've got to admit, though, that there were a few times I thought about making one of them an only child; what saved them both was that I couldn't figure out which one...

#144045 - 12/27/10 09:14 PM Re: TAKING MY LIFE BACK [Re: Anonymous]
stonemark Offline

Loc: China
yeah, welcome back, I'm new here, maybe you can teach me sth about hiking, and go outside will not only losen your weight, but also add more life funny~

#145252 - 01/21/11 03:57 PM Re: TAKING MY LIFE BACK [Re: Anonymous]
ALLEN Offline

Loc: Ohio
Tom, I was born and raised in WV and now live in eastern Ohio. Appalachian (sp?) trails will wear off some of that weight. I do conditioning hikes in Wayne NF in Ohio as often as I can. I'm 63 and have weight troubles as well. I do Atkin's Diet most of the time and when I stick with it, loose weight. Problem is, I get cravings for Ho-Ho's, Entemans chocolate glazed donuts, a plate of spaghetti, the list goes on. Anyway, Jan to Feb I stick to Atkin's and get some of the weight off for spring hiking and camping. Then I'll hit the trails and the exercise works wonders. Usually by Oct I'm in pretty good shape... for 63. Then I fall off the wagon and load up on carbs and ruin everything. Its an endless cycle for me. In my case the extra weight in the spring causes knee problems more than anything. Shake off what you can with diet and hit the trails. Send me a PM and we'll hook up for a trip.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum