Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133719 - 05/14/10 08:46 AM places to go near IL
teri1 Offline

I've done plenty of hiking and camping but am brand new to backpacking. We are planning our first couple day trip to Isle of Royale in Michigan next month.

I live in Illinois...where are some places in the surrounding states of IL that you would recommend for two beginners? We are very open as far as number of days, we have all supplies and will always learn about the place before hand.

We'd like to gain the experience gradually so that in the future we would feel more comfortable camping where there's bears out west.

#133720 - 05/14/10 09:15 AM Re: places to go near IL [Re: teri1]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
What part of Illinois?

There's a nice little park in western Indiana, near the Illinois line just south of Crawfordsville along I74, called Shades State Park. It has a non-electric car campground (no electric = no RVs), and it has a backpack-only campground at the end of a 2-mile trail (pretty plush: an outhouse and a water hydrant.) The scenery is great; you hike from a plateau down to a creek through very pretty ravines, and can adjust the length of your hike as you go to fit how you're feeling. The trails (a total of about 10 miles, plus the 2-mile trail to the backpack camp) all loop you back to a common trailhead, so you can get or leave stuff at your car as needed.

All in all, it's a great place for beginners to hone their skills in a user-friendly yet picturesque setting, or for anyone who needs a shakedown at the start of the season or when they want to experiment with different gear and style. (I'm headed there this weekend for exactly that purpose.)

#133730 - 05/14/10 12:04 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: teri1]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You can get to the Ozarks in about 8-10 hours from Chicago/Rockford. That's about as long as it could take no matter where you live in IL.

But you're a tough spot for backpackers. Illinois has almost no public land, except for the very southern end, and the State Parks have more restrictions than anyplace I've ever lived.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#133739 - 05/14/10 01:42 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: billstephenson]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
The river to river trail in southern IL is supposed to be a pretty nice hike. I have yet to do it, but it's on my short list for sure.

Depending on where you're at in IL, the Cumberland Plateau in TN, and even the Appalachians aren't much more than a long day's drive, and well worth the gas.

#133743 - 05/14/10 02:44 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: taM]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If you're opening it up to a day's drive, you might be within range of Mammoth Cave National Park south of Louisville, KY (which has a surprisingly beautiful backcountry on top of the cave), Big South Fork, Cumberland Gap (and the Cumberland Trail), and the Red River Gorge southeast of Lexington.

#133849 - 05/17/10 03:51 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: teri1]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I live in Illinois...where are some places in the surrounding states of IL that you would recommend for two beginners?”

A good training trail (The Prairie Lake Loop) for an 18 mile overnighter is at Jim Edgar’s Panther Creek http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/R4/jepc.htm#Biking . Yes it is a bike trail but I would never bike it. It rips bikes apart. There is a nice primitive camping spot on the west side of the lake. We would park on the east side of the lake and backpack about 9 miles to it, counterclockwise. In the morning, we would finish the loop back to the car. Plenty of lake water to filter smile. Half the hike would be in the woods, the other half in prairie.

-Barry

#133850 - 05/17/10 05:30 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: teri1]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
In Northern Ill, Mississippi Palasades state Park Has some remote Hike in Camp sites. I have yet to check them out but plan to this summer. I have camped at palasades in camgroud mant times over the years and it is fantastic. Southern Il. Shawnee nat. Forest. Happy Trails

#133864 - 05/17/10 09:36 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: teri1]
TomM Offline

You have the Ice Age Trail to the north

www.iceagetrail.org

Edited by TomM (05/17/10 09:37 PM)

#134026 - 05/20/10 06:42 PM Re: places to go near IL [Re: TomM]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check the section of this forum called "Trip Plans, Reports and Inquiries" where you may find further info.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum