Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133658 - 05/13/10 02:22 PM Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail
HunterGatherer Offline

I am somewhat new to backpacking and decided with some friends to do a portion of the Appalachian Trail this August. We'll be hiking in SW Virginia from Damascus to Marion over a 7 day span. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about gear including tents, stoves, backpacks, boots, etc. that would be helpful.

Also, if anyone has done this specific portion of the trail and would like to offer any detailed suggestions that would be more than amazing.

Thank you all.

#133669 - 05/13/10 04:45 PM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: HunterGatherer]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Honestly, the best gear is the gear that gets you out there.

However, a few specific pieces of gear that will help are the National Geographic/Trails Illustrated "Mt Rogers" map . It covers the area well.

I strongly recommend hiking the Virginia Creeper Trail out of Damascus for the first 10 miles because the AT is a massive PUD through that first 14 miles. And the hike through the Mt. Rogers area and Grayson Highlands, with views to forever and wild ponies, is a real gem.

Partnership Shelter is a double decker with a solar shower.

You may also be able to follow some excellent side trails. Personally, I realy enjoy the Iron Mountain Trail and I intend to make a Damascus loop up the AT, hooking over to the IMT and back to Damascus this fall.

I have a trip report of the Grayson Highlands and IMT from last summer. Maybe it will give you some ideas or inspiration for your trip.

#133681 - 05/13/10 08:43 PM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: Bearpaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I second Bearpaw's praise of Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands; I've been there twice, and it's tied with Isle Royale as my favorite place ever to go.

I don't know that you need any special gear in that area; I just take my standard three-season gear and never had a problem. Depending on your exact time frame, check out the ten-day forecast; it is cooler up in the hills than in town, so you might want to take along a fleece jacket even though it's August. (What the heck - it would make a great pillow if nothing else.) I was there in late April and mid September, and was glad I brought a down sweater both times, for evening. I also recall one misty morning on each trip where I wore a long-sleeve synthetic top instead of short-sleeved tee shirt.

Edited by Glenn (05/13/10 08:45 PM)

#133745 - 05/14/10 02:53 PM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: Bearpaw]
HunterGatherer Offline

Thanks Bearclaw!

I took a look at your trail report link and it really helped. I have an illustrated map of the area and was able to follow your route and document some of the suggestions. I guess the only other question I have would be about food. On a week-long trip, what kind of food did you bring and what did you do for water?

#133825 - 05/16/10 05:23 PM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: HunterGatherer]
Bearpaw Offline

Meals were simple. Energy bars or the like for breakfast. Lunch of tortillas and a packet of chicken or peanut butter or the like. Cashews or some sort of gorp for snacks. Freezer bag or freeze-dried dinners. When I am doing miles, I tend to go with simple boil meals.

I got my water along the way. On the Iron Mountain Trail, water was generally available only around the shelters, but they are every 5-6 miles. They were excellent springs and I never bothered to treat the water I drew. Along the AT, I treated water from creeks and continued on. With minimal planning, water is no problem in the region.

The two bigger considerations are weather and horses. You are at 5000 feet for a good chunk of time in Grayson Highlands so expect the weather to to at least 10-15 degrees cooler than the rest of southern Virginia. The ponies are cute, but watch them. They are habituated from hikers feeding them and they may try to root around in your food bag or walk right up to you while you cook. They can be a nuisance up close. From a distance, they make for great pictures.

#133829 - 05/16/10 09:05 PM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: Bearpaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
My hiking buddy (also thru-hiked the AT after he quit being a SEAL) also does the tortilla and peanut butter lunch. It seems like a great idea, which I might adopt for my weekend trips, but I'm curious: why tortillas rather than something like English muffins or those very similar little sandwich rounds?

#133835 - 05/16/10 10:38 PM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: Glenn]
Bearpaw Offline

It's a personal preference. Of course, you can still mash and crumble an English muffin in a compressed pack. It takes more effort to mash a tortilla. wink

Edited by Bearpaw (05/16/10 10:38 PM)

#133837 - 05/17/10 01:30 AM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: Bearpaw]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
What's a PUD?

#133841 - 05/17/10 09:29 AM Re: Suggestions for the Appalachian Trail [Re: billk]
Bearpaw Offline

A Pointless Up and Down. A series of hills or even mountains that take you up for no real reason. No views, straight to a summit with no thought of a sidehill around, and usually much easier routing that for some bureaucratic goes straight to the top and straight back down and usually repeats itself shortly after.

Having built quite a bit of trail, there are usually two reasons: restricted access to lower routes (a common issue in Pennsylvania for example) or unwillingness to make a large amount of labor intensive sidehill cuts.

PUDs suck, and they are common along the AT.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum