Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133581 - 05/12/10 11:33 AM groundcloths
bigwig Offline

I have seen a lot of these posts but they are all pretty old and a lot of the links don't work. I'm looking for a place to buy a piece of Tyvek to fit my new Copper Spur 3. Anyone have any suggestions where I can buy a pre-cut sheet?

Also, I've been off the forum for a while, is there another lightweight and extremely puncture resistant material out there that people are now using? I used to build houses and trust that tyvek is very puncture resistant; often it was hard to get my utility knife into it to start a cut.

Anyway, thanks.

#133591 - 05/12/10 12:40 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: bigwig]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Tyvek and Polycryo, which I believe is a similar material to a painter's drop cloth.

As for where to purchase: Z-Packs and MLD are just two places. You could look on Ebay also and I bet somewhere like Home Depot, Lowes etc would have painter's drop cloth which should be inexpensive. Another option is to ask around at construction sites for any Tyvek that will just be thrown away.

#133594 - 05/12/10 01:28 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: bigwig]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
There is a light-weight Tyvek available at kite hobby outlets. It is called kite Tyvek and it is about 1.3 oz per sq. yd. compared to about 1.8 oz per yd. for house wrap. Also, house wrap is prone to accumulate static electricity which makes a lot of dust and other stuff on the ground cling. The kite Tyvek is less prone to "static cling" and has a softer feel. Google kite suppliers and look for the Tyvek they have in stock; you can buy it by the yard.

#133597 - 05/12/10 02:55 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: Pika]
bigwig Offline

Originally Posted By Pika
There is a light-weight Tyvek available at kite hobby outlets. It is called kite Tyvek and it is about 1.3 oz per sq. yd. compared to about 1.8 oz per yd. for house wrap. Also, house wrap is prone to accumulate static electricity which makes a lot of dust and other stuff on the ground cling. The kite Tyvek is less prone to "static cling" and has a softer feel. Google kite suppliers and look for the Tyvek they have in stock; you can buy it by the yard.

I did as you said but it looks like the stuff that kite places have is only 60 inches wide. Have you seen it wider? 60 inches is almost big enough, I guess. My Copper Spur 3 has a footprint of 70" byt 90" and since I want the tarp a bit smaller than that....I don't know. I think it's still a bit small.

#133598 - 05/12/10 03:00 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: bigwig]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Pick up some shrink wrap stuff for windows, exterior stuff is heavier than the interior. Pick up at home improvement places. I use it. The wind will catch it, so weigh it down when setting up as needed. Same as the polycryo available at Anti Gravity Gear.

#133599 - 05/12/10 03:17 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: hikerduane]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
backcountry.com and antigravitygear sell it for 2 bucks a yard...however...i've succesfully stopped by a construction site 3 times now and been able to take(i ask) some off their large rolls....

#133617 - 05/12/10 09:48 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: bigwig]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I was getting back from lunch, so I couldn't type much, may want to support AGG, they have answered emails I have sent quickly and been good to deal with too.

Or was it Gossamer Gear? Both are good, for food or gear.

Edited by hikerduane (05/12/10 09:51 PM)

#133688 - 05/13/10 09:39 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: hikerduane]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
I agree with your statement about 60 inches might not be wide enough for a 70 inch wide footprint. I would go 65 -68 wide and 88 long for it. I have a Marmot 3 person with similar dimensions and ordered a piece off of Ebay to my exact request. Sorry I don't remember the name but I did a search on ebay for Tyvek and a number of places popped up. Chose one and gave them my dimensions I wanted and a week later I had it. A little less then $15 all in.

#133744 - 05/14/10 02:52 PM Re: groundcloths [Re: hikerduane]
bigwig Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I was getting back from lunch, so I couldn't type much, may want to support AGG, they have answered emails I have sent quickly and been good to deal with too.

Or was it Gossamer Gear? Both are good, for food or gear.

Yeah, I've ordered a pot cozy from AGG and thought they had great customer service. Too bad they are gone this week, I wanted to get out early next week. I didn't know that AGG sold tyvek so thanks to everyone that made suggestions.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum