Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121924 - 10/05/09 04:40 PM Titanium cups/mugs
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm on the verge of buying a titanium mug and am curious if those who have a single-walled version wish they'd bought the double-wall variety? -not due to weight, but heat. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd get the double-wall model but the wife thinks the price tag on even the single wall model is absurd for a small metal cup...

#121929 - 10/05/09 06:17 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: hatidua]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
There is no comparison. I have had single wall but quickly moved on to double wall exclusively and would never even think of using a single wall cup again. A double wall cup guards against burning your lips and keeps the food or drink hot in cold weather conditions. A single wall does neither. Snow Peak is one of the higher quality offerings when it comes to outdoor serving wares in titanium. It is expensive but when you add it up over time, the performance it gives and the fact that it will last forever if you don’t loose it is one of the best choices. You can’t cook in double wall vessels and that kills it for some of the more obsessive but it is the only choice for enjoying hot food and drink in my opinion.

Our spartan kit contains an MSR ti kettle for boiling, each has their Snow Peak double wall cup for both food and drink and the Snowpeak ti spoon. The flatware kit came with a fork and spreading knife as well but I normally use the spoon in the backcountry. This stuff has lasted for years and will last as long as we walk the wilderness. Buy the best once and only cry once.

#121930 - 10/05/09 06:19 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: hatidua]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Not sure if double wall makes sense to me.
The main advantage of Titanium over Polypropylene is that you can use them in emergency as a pot.
You cannot do that with a double wall mug.
On the downside ( of the single wall Ti)is that you could burn your lips if the drink is too hot .
Comparing weights a GSI insulated 500ml mug is about 1 oz lighter than a 450ml double wall Ti. Witch one will keep your drinks hot for longer I do not know but the GSI Infinity Insulated Mug works for me (making soup for example), is lighter and cheaper than the Ti equivalent.
Franco
Sea 2Summit have something similar out now, the Delta, but about the same weight as the Ti doble wall.
Afterthoughts...
If you are really fussy about taste, you can detect some "plastic" taste with Polypropylene however some have reported "bad taste" from Titanium as well. I have not noticed that from my 550ml Ti mug but I am not that fussy.
( "pure" Titanium is inert, however none of the Ti cookware is made from pure Ti)

Edited by Franco (10/05/09 06:36 PM)

#121933 - 10/05/09 07:16 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: Franco]
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
-appreciate the input, thanks.

#121934 - 10/05/09 07:34 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: hatidua]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Save your money and buy an Antigravity insulated mug:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGCZZPMG

Lighter, cheaper to buy (and replace), better insulated....did i say lighter?

If you do go with titanium, get a single wall so you can cook in it. That makes it multi-purpose. Single wall titanium will burn your lips, but will also cool quicker. Make a cozy yourself out of Reflectix and it is just as good or better insulated than a double wall (lighter, too). This is a light-weight forum,remember, guys ? crazy

BF cool

#121936 - 10/05/09 08:15 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: hatidua]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I own both but carry a single-wall with a neoprene wrap (not a full cozy). So long as the thing's not full to the brim the rim will absolutely not burn my lips (Ti heat transmission is very poor, an order of magnitude less than that of aluminum). The double-wall is rather heavier and as noted, cannot be cooked in, in a pinch.

My $0.02

Originally Posted By hatidua
I'm on the verge of buying a titanium mug and am curious if those who have a single-walled version wish they'd bought the double-wall variety? -not due to weight, but heat. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd get the double-wall model but the wife thinks the price tag on even the single wall model is absurd for a small metal cup...

#121938 - 10/05/09 08:25 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: Arizona]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
That's another incredible photo of the snow peak cup, BTW. Do the double-walls have a vacuum inside for better insulation?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#121940 - 10/05/09 08:47 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: kevonionia]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By kevonionia
That's another incredible incredible photo of the snow peak cup, BTW. Do the double-walls have a vacuum inside for better insulation?

If it does the only one I've ever tried in serious cold weather leaked. - because it sure didn't stay warm very long - (I just use a double wall plastic mug in cold weather, lighter and cheaper - dunno about more durable, my MEC cold weather mug is at least 8 or 9 years old, and my little skanky plastic cup I carry other times is so old I don't even know how old. it was scavenged from a dead scouting kit something like 25 years ago and is still going strong with me..

Bigfoot has seen the little skanky plastic cup so he knows what I'm talking about - my alcohol stove rides in it.
Browse my pictures

#121942 - 10/05/09 09:05 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: hatidua]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Since my cup is usually also my cook pot single wall is my only option. As noted above, cooking with a double wall is not recommended.

The thin wall and low mass of the single wall allows it to cool quickly if you keep the liquid level well below the rim. Burned lips are really not an issue for me.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#121944 - 10/05/09 09:17 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: phat]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
phat:

Quote:
my little skanky plastic cup

I'm not sure I'd be sipping anything out of a cup I'm describing as "skanky," unless I was plastering on that new Acyclovir-enhanced lip balm from Burt's (free-)Bees. grin

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#121946 - 10/05/09 09:19 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: kevonionia]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
That's another incredible incredible photo of the snow peak cup, BTW. Do the double-walls have a vacuum inside for better insulation?

Thankee sir. I love my time out in the deserts and spend a lot of it photographing.

I can't answer your question on the vacuum but a Snow Peak double wall cup will keep the food and drink very hot for a long time, for sure long enough to eat or drink leisurely. Now remember, cold to me is down in the 20s F, not what Phat calls cold though I have hiked in his stuff from time to time. LOL

Seriously, there are lots of ways to skin a cat so to speak. Lot of folks have a system that works for them. I have two single wall ti cups and two double wall ti cups, hence the answer to the OP's question from my own experience with them all. The single walls are a 450 ml Evernew and a 600 ml Snowpeak. The doubles are a 450 and 600 Snowpeak. I think it was someone on this forum, a kind soul on the road sent me that Evernew cup a few years ago, and I did not even ask for it.

#121948 - 10/05/09 09:35 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: Trailrunner]
phat Offline

I too often drink out of my pot. I take the little cup just for measuring, scooping, and being able to have something in the pot while drinking something else, and since the little plastic cup weighs darn near nothing (I should put it on the gram scale) I take it anyway..

the real short answer is - FBC egg and taters -> coffee in pot, drunk from pot.. Oatmeal in pot -> coffee in cup, drunk from cup smile

Browse my pictures

#121949 - 10/05/09 09:37 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: kevonionia]
phat Offline

phat:

Quote:
my little skanky plastic cup

I'm not sure I'd be sipping anything out of a cup I'm describing as "skanky,"

It's old and well used, stained from too much coffee, and often scrubbed out with sand... Got a better adjective? eek
Browse my pictures

#121951 - 10/05/09 09:55 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: Arizona]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
A 450-mil double-walled Snow Peak will nest inside the Snow Peak mini solo pot, with room for the stove and a few extras (but you'll have to stash the fuel cylinder somewhere else). I like to have my coffee while dinner is cooking and still warm after I'm finished.

Somewhere, maybe on another forum...someone had a post that they found the disposible coffee lids from the local Kwik-E-Mart would fit on top of a SP double-walled mug. Nice.....

#121958 - 10/06/09 06:21 AM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: Andy]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Jason Klass is selling lids. We could support one of our own.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/

#122021 - 10/07/09 02:46 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: Arizona]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I use a 1 L. aluminum pot & lid and a PLASTIC drinking cup W/ graduated markings (for measuring)

WHY would I carry a Ti cup, single OR double walled??

Yes, a single wall large Ti cup can be use for "cooking" (i.e. boiling water but not true cooking) but not so for a double walled cup. Very inefficient.

To me the Ti cup thing is the current version of the stainless steel "Sierra Cup" of the '60s. Neither makes much practical sense. But, hey, they look cool.

#122022 - 10/07/09 03:26 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: 300winmag]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a Ti mug (MSR Titan Cup), but it's mostly due to mild obsessive-compulsive tendencies: it goes with my Titan Kettle. I think I might have taken it with me once, when I first got it, and had cocoa with breakfast. After that, it rarely went with me partly because the mug caused packing problems (couldn't get both it and the Pocket Rocket to store in the Kettle.) The main reason, though, was that I could do everything I needed to do with the kettle alone.

Up until recently, I drank water with my meals, and maybe fixed a kettle of tea with my no-cook lunch or breakfast (or for an evening snack.) Now, I'm learning to cook in the bag for breakfast (oatmeal) and supper (Enertia entree), which lets me brew up a kettle of tea while the food "cooks."

I agree, mugs are mostly redundant nowadays.

#122027 - 10/07/09 04:32 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: bigfoot2]
lori Offline

That AGG mug looks suspiciously like the ziploc container I fitted with Reflectix. Probably cost me a buck to make, given I already had epoxy to glue the lid to the insulation. I left the cozy for the bottom unglued to remove for easier washing.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122947 - 10/26/09 08:51 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs [Re: phat]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
scruffy?

Actually, at first I thought you said you got it from a dead scout . . . instead of "it was scavenged from a dead scouting kit." Wondered what the poor scout had done.

Ooops, I was reading the post too quickly trying to catch up on the last several weeks. Gonna have to give up and click "mark all read" pretty soon . . .

#122972 - 10/27/09 11:47 AM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: 300winmag]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
I'm with 300winmag on this. Ti pot and plastic measuring cup for hot drinks (especially when I'm traveling with a group and have to share my cooking pot). I just checked the specs and the $2.00 plastic cup from REI is 2.5oz whereas the $43.00 Ti cup is 4.5oz.

#122976 - 10/27/09 12:46 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: acronym]
Rich_M Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
This thread had got me thinking about my gear. I am a backpacker and a bicycle tourist. I use a MSR ti kettle for backpacking and a GSI Soloist for touring. Phat and others talking about using a plastic cup made me think about things. I have been using a double walled ti cup. I don't like the single wall ti cups.

So, my plastic cup from the GSI Soloist will fit inside the MSR ti kettle and the cup has ounce markings so that makes it a double use item. The lid for the cup fits on the lid of the ti kettle and a large canister of fuel will fit on top of that and is contained with a mesh stuff sack. The weight of the kettle and cup is 6.6 ounces. Good enough for me. Thanks all.

#132665 - 04/25/10 09:12 AM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: Rich_M]
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
I'm considering this same dilemma. Weight isn't an issue with me, I'm nowhere near even light let alone ultra light. Right now the best I can do it get the family to car camp when the temps are "just right". I have several other pots to boil in so my main concern is keeping the liquid hot/cold and burning my lips. Does the Ti transfer a lot of heat if say the liquid is 1/2 from the rim, 3/4, etc. What's peoples experience on that part of the single/double wall dilemma.

Thanks all.

#132675 - 04/25/10 05:17 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: NightForce]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, Ti does not transfer heat well (which is why it's great for boiling water but not for "real" cooking). By the time my tea has cooled enough to drink (and I drink it really hot), the rim of my little 550 ml pot is cool!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/25/10 05:18 PM)

#132678 - 04/25/10 06:48 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: NightForce]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By NightForce
I'm considering this same dilemma. Weight isn't an issue with me, I'm nowhere near even light let alone ultra light. Right now the best I can do it get the family to car camp when the temps are "just right". I have several other pots to boil in so my main concern is keeping the liquid hot/cold and burning my lips. Does the Ti transfer a lot of heat if say the liquid is 1/2 from the rim, 3/4, etc. What's peoples experience on that part of the single/double wall dilemma.

Thanks all.

OM went through the physics. As for single verses double walled, I would go with a single because they are lighter, cheaper and you can use them to boil water in. A doubled-walled mug should not be put on a stove or fire.

#133195 - 05/04/10 02:53 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: ChrisFol]
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
Well, I purchased a double wall and I'm glad I did. Hot tea made at home with boiling water took about 10 min to cool to drinkable temps, i.e. not lip scalding hot, the rim was only warm to the touch and the tea stayed hot while leisurely drinking it. Cold beverages seem to stay cold as well; ice lasts a while in the cup and the outside didn't sweat. Not really a backpackers concern I know, but a concern for someone like me who will use it for everyday use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum