Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132756 - 04/26/10 10:40 PM Boots to Trail Runners
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
I've got a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX that I really like. However, in the interests of lightening up I'm looking at trail runners. Background, I got the Goretex boots after spending a weekend with wet feet in shoes that wouldn't dry out. The boots are comfy and do the job but like I said, I'm trying to lighten up. I've looked at Brooks Cascadia and North Face Prophecy. I think at this point, I like the Prophecy better. I'm looking for suggestions to try on. I'm trying to short circuit trying on every shoe at REI. My lunch hour is only so long...

John
Trying to lighten up

#132759 - 04/26/10 11:01 PM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: orclwzrd]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I switched a couple of years ago from GTX Sundowners to Solomons because they fit my feet so well. In close to freezing temps I will take the GTX version but for most applications the regular work better as they keep my feet from overheating, drain well and dry out fairly quickly. There is another post from someone about hiking in New England with regular trail runners and neoprene socks for cold, wet weather.

#132784 - 04/27/10 02:01 PM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: thecook]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Unfortunately the best pair of trail runners (as with any other shoe) is the one that fits you! Shoe fit is so individual that I wouldn't ever consider recommending a certain brand. That may mean several lunch hours.

You might also want to find a good running shoe store, which often carries a better selection of trail runners than does REI (frankly, I've found REI sadly lacking in both variety and size selection). Of course, if you find what seems to be the ideal shoe at REI, buy there so you can return them if they don't work after you've worn them a while.

After the time I got my Goretex-lined boots wet and they took three days of sitting in the sun to dry out, I will never buy shoes with Goretex again. Regular (non-Goretex) trail runners dry quite rapidly while you're hiking (good idea to wring out your socks after fording a stream, though).

If you do find the perfect shoe (which you won't know until you've worn them on the trail a while), order at least a half dozen pair from one of the online shoe dealers (most have free shipping). Too many manufacturers change the models every year or, as in the case of Montrail, are bought out with the new owner ruining the whole line of shoes.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/27/10 02:03 PM)

#132881 - 04/28/10 07:46 PM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: OregonMouse]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
So I'm trying a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators, in walnut for those of you that are color concious. I don't think they are the lightest in the world but they seem to fit and I have a good weekend for testing them out.

john

#132883 - 04/28/10 08:03 PM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: orclwzrd]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By orclwzrd
So I'm trying a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators, in walnut for those of you that are color concious. I don't think they are the lightest in the world but they seem to fit and I have a good weekend for testing them out.

john

Those are my current boots...and as far as fit, comfort, and wicking/quickness of drying, they've been great.

My last trip out was the beginning of this month, at mid-elevation in the Smokies. I took a day hike up to the top of Mt Guyot (6600 ft) where there was still several feet of snow, and my feet got SOAKED, literally swimming in there. By the time I had descended back to my 4500 ft campsite, a few miles walk, my feet were nothing more than damp. A half mile into the next morning's hike, my feet/boots were completely dry (it was humid during the night and no drying occurred).

My only complaint has been durability. They've developed a gash just behind the toe reinforcement on the upper of the left boot, about 3/4" long. I don't know if this was something I abused (rock, log, etc), a flaw in this particular boot, or what is to blame, but they were purchased at REI, so they'll be going back for replacement. The right one is almost perfect, save for the outsole separating from the upper just slightly where it wraps over the toe. For the amount I wear them, I'd expect that at this point, but not the big gaping gash in the left one.

#132901 - 04/29/10 01:20 AM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: OregonMouse]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

After the time I got my Goretex-lined boots wet and they took three days of sitting in the sun to dry out, I will never buy shoes with Goretex again.

This is a mystery to me. I know others have had the same experience with Gore-Tex (or other w/b), but I've had nothing but good experiences with it. The one time I got my Gore-Tex lined boots wet inside (clumsy step into a lake) they dried quite quickly, and I've never had any leakage in the rain. I've used three different boots with Gore-Tex: Zamberlan Civettas, Lowa Klondikes, and currently Keen Targhees (Event, I think).

Oops..I lied. My original Klondikes that I bought very used at REI leaked a bit in heavy rain.

#132903 - 04/29/10 01:59 AM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: billk]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By billk
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

After the time I got my Goretex-lined boots wet and they took three days of sitting in the sun to dry out, I will never buy shoes with Goretex again.

This is a mystery to me. I know others have had the same experience with Gore-Tex (or other w/b), but I've had nothing but good experiences with it. The one time I got my Gore-Tex lined boots wet inside (clumsy step into a lake) they dried quite quickly, and I've never had any leakage in the rain. I've used three different boots with Gore-Tex: Zamberlan Civettas, Lowa Klondikes, and currently Keen Targhees (Event, I think).

Oops..I lied. My original Klondikes that I bought very used at REI leaked a bit in heavy rain.

Everything wets out eventually, and Gortex is no different. If you are hiking in periods of prolonged or heavy rain, then your feet are going to get wet. Like OM said, Gortex, once it has "wet-out" takes longer to dry-out than standard, none-WP boots/trail-runners.

I just don't see the need for gortex boots, shoes, jackets or pants. Heavy stuff, that is even heavier when wet and stays wet for longer.

#132904 - 04/29/10 04:02 AM Re: Boots to Trail Runners [Re: ChrisFol]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I have found my Gortex Solomon trail runners to be great. My feet have always stayed nice and dry no matter what. After 6 years one of the laces finally broke but I cannot complain. I have a new pair for next season. My sister lives at the coast where they get over 3 feet of rain a year. She walks around daily in Solomon Gortex runner similar to mine and has never had a problem either. Last time I visited her I asked her if her feet ever got wet and she said no.

Howie

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum