Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132721 - 04/26/10 02:52 PM How many primarily solo hikers on this board?
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
From a post by Balzaccom in another thread
Quote:
Just curious--and maybe this should be a new thread--but how many people on these boards backpack alone? And how many of those leave the trail behind to do some serious cross-country hiking on their own?

I'll start. I do mostly solo hiking and will do off trail trips if I fancy seeing what is "up there". I generally leave behind a detailed itinerary though and only deviate from it if absolutely necessary. However, I am nowhere near as adventurous as I once was.

#132724 - 04/26/10 03:28 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I hike solo much more often than in company. Yes, I do go off trail while I am alone, but I am very keenly aware of possible hazards (like crossing a boulder field) and I set myself strict ground rules to minimize my exposure to risk.

As of this year I shall carry a PLB (McMurdo FastFind: 5.5 oz). This was a difficult choice to make, because now I will need to take it on every hike (there is no such thing as a hike where nothing could go wrong).

I arrived at this conclusion more for the sake of my family than for myself. I am not just loved; I am genuinely needed, too, and I must take that fact into account.

#132728 - 04/26/10 04:28 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I am about half and half. I do more difficult hikes solo. I think it is safer because I am not worried about taking care of anyone and am not distracted by conversation.

I used to hike with the local hiking club. There was eight people on a two night trip and I realized that only the trip leader and I had maps. Over the three days I would pull out my map and ask people to help me locate our position on the map. Only the trip leader and I were navigating. Sorry, but I just do not see how it makes me safer to be in the backcountry with a half dozen people that could not navigate well enough to get help and return.

A group is only as strong as the weakest link and unless everyone on the trip is capable of solo hiking then the group might not be safer than solo hiking.

#132736 - 04/26/10 07:14 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm among the unwashed, er, chronic soloers. Few hiking partners and most are usually tied up with work, family, etc. And my family doesn't care for hiking.

Cheers,

#132740 - 04/26/10 07:52 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Rick_D]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I'm with Rick D. I rarely go with anyone. I also rarely use trails unless cross country would be hard considering the understory. I am a chronic "guess I'll stop here and head in" type. I have no PLB or SPOT but I do carry a GPS and spare batteries, but Rarely do I actually need it, but its a great convenience. I've been primarily a solo hiker (and climber) for a very long time. It takes a while to learn your limits.
Jim

#132752 - 04/26/10 09:40 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
before the last couple of years I've been primarily solo. The last couple of years I seem to have a bunch of hangers on, which I don't mind too much because I've found a few people that I don't mind going with. I still usually take one or two solo trips a year. I like it.
Browse my pictures

#132764 - 04/27/10 06:14 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I hike solo almost always. I think that in the almost 30 years that I have been backpacking I have only hiked with five other people. I like being able to set my own schedule to start and stop when I want and go where I want. Even the times that I have done a car swap I have just ended up frustrated while I wait for them to rearrange gear, get last minute snacks etc.

#132768 - 04/27/10 07:49 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
Ambersdad Offline

Loc: Norman OK
I hike alone. Pretty much always have. I started carrying a Spot Messenger recently for my family so they can track my progress.

#132771 - 04/27/10 10:55 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Ambersdad]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I mostly solo, have from the start back in the early '70's. The last five years I have a group or two I go with or am invited to go on bp trips with. I worry now with vertigo and the possiblity of holding a group up, that has never happened, but then I never got it at work either until a couple years ago. Scary. I do some offtrail trips, ususally for part of a day or so, except three years ago, I was mostly offtrail over half the first five days, in easy to stay found local. Stuff happens, no one at home to worry if I never make it back. I use a wet finger in the wind for navigation. I'm starting to get tired of solo trips, so may take up car camping more or other stuff. The folks I bp with live in the city, I'm a country boy.

#132774 - 04/27/10 11:18 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: hikerduane]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Thanks Duane!

Since in a way I started this thread, I'll add my two cents. I have hiked alone, but in the past few years my wife (we've been married more than 30 years) has joined me for every trip. And it has been quite amazing. Great for our marriage, and I cannot imagine a better hiking partner.

Last year one of our daughters joined us as a kind of graduation gift from college, and that was also wonderful. This year, my older brother has indicated he might like to go along on one of our trips...

But I think there is a difference between two and a group. Group dynamics are always going to change everything. I once read an amusing story about two guy who were going to "speed climb" a mountain. One of them made the statement that I'll paraphrase here: The number of delays on a hike is equal to the number of hikers, cubed.

I laughed when I read it back then, and it still makes me smile!

When you are alone, you just go. When you are with another person, when you stop to tie your shoe, they decided it's a good time to go to the bathroom. A third person decides that if the two of you are doing that, it's time to repack their backpack because they put their raingear at the bottom...etc.

Edited by balzaccom (04/27/10 11:19 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132783 - 04/27/10 01:51 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I do most of my hiking alone, but mostly that's day trips.

When I plan longer stays out I usually have a pretty cool destination that I'm wanting to explore so I always invite friends to come along and share the adventure.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#132788 - 04/27/10 02:21 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
food wrote:
Quote:
A group is only as strong as the weakest link and unless everyone on the trip is capable of solo hiking then the group might not be safer than solo hiking.

I've had exactly the same experience and very much agree!

I have several reasons for going solo. (1) I just plain prefer being out there alone. (I do have my dog with me, and as a few others on this forum know, he's excellent company!) I like to putter along at my own pace, enjoying the scenery and smelling the flowers. (2) These days I hike so slowly that if I strain to keep up with a group, I'm far more apt to have an accident or just plain collapse short of the goal. (3) Finding someone to backpack with who is compatible with my snail-like backpacking style and who can backpack on weekdays is basically impossible.

I do take a PLB with me except for short dayhikes on more populated trails. I do keep in mind at all times that should I have an accident, at my age it will probably be the end of my hiking career. I also leave an itinerary with my daughter-in-law, whom I can trust not to panic if I'm overdue (my instructions are to wait at least 24 hours, sometimes longer).

Edited by OregonMouse (04/27/10 02:23 PM)

#132794 - 04/27/10 05:29 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have done more solo backpacking in the last few years since some of my regular hiking partners have become less active. But I never kid myself - solo hiking is not as safe as with a group of experienced backpackers. I am willing to take that risk rather than stay at home. But what I really should do is spend more effort finding new backpack partners. There are a lot of advantages of solo, but safety is not one. As for the "hazard" of a newbie with you - add another experienced person. By the way - I do not consider solo hiking a popular trail such as the JMT a "solo" venture - it is more like being part of a huge unorganized group.

#132803 - 04/27/10 07:51 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: wandering_daisy]
chndlr04 Offline

Loc: spotaylvania, va
if i calculate the risk of soloing vs 2 or more people, considering many factors as such as ability, camp site labor, distance, gear hauling, the hike its self. over the years i have determined for my preference that its safer for me to solo. but hey thats just me. never had a prob on my long hikes, been soloing since i was 16, im 22 now. i do carry a SPOT, which my family pays for to relieve their worrysome senses as a their "christmas present"

#132817 - 04/27/10 11:07 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: chndlr04]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
About half and half and has been for the last 20+ years. When I go with a group, I am almost always the most experienced person there and have recruited the other hikers. The major exception to this is winter camping (in Minnesota, land of cold grin) where I always go with a group. My better half is very understanding of backpacking but for perceived safety reasons would throw a royal fit about solo winter trips. I value my marriage WAY more than I value solo winter trips, especially as the risks are much higher than for other times of year around here.

#132820 - 04/27/10 11:17 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
But I never kid myself - solo hiking is not as safe as with a group of experienced backpackers.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Odds are, if I'm the one that gets hurt, even an newbie will be able to help me out, and I'd rather have a someone with me if that happened than not.

But I never feel worried or anxious when I'm out hiking alone. I tend to be careful no matter what I'm doing, or at the very least, I'm always comfortable with what I'm doing.

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
By the way - I do not consider solo hiking a popular trail such as the JMT a "solo" venture - it is more like being part of a huge unorganized group.

You know WD, I've almost never hiked on trails, and that's exactly why. You've summed it up perfectly.

I have nothing against trails, or hikers that use them, for me it's just not the same experience as hiking off trail.

I have to get out alone, and often. I don't have to go far off into the wilderness to satisfy the need, but I need to do it like I need to breath air.

I've done it since I was a little kid. I used to walk the creekbeds and railroad tracks to and from school. And every time I ever "Skipped" a day I was spending it in a forest at a park somewhere.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#132834 - 04/28/10 12:40 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: balzaccom]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Some years back, a customer who was a water truck driver invited me to join him and a female friend of his to mt. bike the Bizz Johnson Trail up in Lassen County CA, an old Rails to Trails trail. It was part of a festival/event in early Oct. out of Susanville, CA, a 80 minute drive from where I live. The three of us got beaten back to town by a 70 something lady after we all got dropped off 20 miles away and had to peddle back to our cars in Susanville. We stopped for individual potty breaks and for a group lunch, not in a rush. Just thought it was funny that the older lady beat us, we were in our late 40's or so at the time.

#132836 - 04/28/10 12:49 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I usually go solo. I actually enjoy the solitude while I'm hiking.....and usually in camp too although sometimes I do get lonely at the end of the day.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#132847 - 04/28/10 11:05 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: balzaccom]
Pappy Offline

Loc: NC
Started off hiking alone about 45 years ago. Then came the Military, then hiking with work buddies then the children. Now everyone is too busy to hike camp and hunt. So I’m back to exploring by myself again and that’s okay as I enjoy my company and the time in the forest is always well spent time.

Sure I’ve got myself in a few jams, been lost, ran out of water a few times. Sometimes critters will give me a fit like feral pig’s snakes, or coyotes. In forty some years of hunting and camping I’ve only had four bear encounters that come to mind and they were mainly “Oh my!” moments.

I don’t make a base camp anymore because when away exploring my camps have been compromised by critters and I’ve had some good gear torn up in recent years and I’ am not sure why that is. Never had that problem before I never leave unsecured food around even had some critters chew up a few of my expensive Macanudo cigars once. I always carry some type of firearm, not for the critters but for the two legged animals I run across from time to time, mostly at trailheads.

The reason I still hike is because the majority of my outings I am undisturbed by man or beast which just leaves the tranquility of the moment and that friends is what it’s all about.

#132949 - 04/29/10 07:19 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: thecook]
Jimshaw Offline

cook,
we all had imaginary friends when we were kids. Can't you meet up with "someone" on the way to your winter solo, err I mean two person trip? smile grin I mean sometimes I used to meet up with someone to camp and said I was going alone. cool
Jim

#132994 - 04/30/10 11:03 AM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Jimshaw]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Jim,

My wife is not comfortable with me camping with my imaginary friends. wink

I guess it would depend on how skilled and experienced your imaginary friends are.

#133017 - 04/30/10 03:58 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Jimshaw]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Most of my imaginary friends refuse to carry my backpack for me.

So are they really my friends?

Calling Dr. Phil...........

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#133025 - 04/30/10 06:08 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Trailrunner]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

#133043 - 04/30/10 10:58 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: ringtail]
Jimshaw Offline

Cook
I would imagine that your imaginary friends can be as skilled as you are, (or even more so) but don't depend on them. smile The "skill" is whether your imaginary friends are "real" to your wife. (stories deleted due to "family nature" of forum. Lets just say when my wife learned that my camping buddy Charley was really Charlene, well never mind.)
Jim

#135951 - 07/07/10 08:33 PM Re: How many primarily solo hikers on this board? [Re: Pika]
corduroy lion Offline

Loc: norcal
i always go solo. i really enjoy the solitude. i dont like feeling stuck with someone. i do leave behind in detail where ill be going and what time ill be back. i have not gone anything off trail yet but i intend to by oct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum