Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132045 - 04/13/10 10:23 PM Opinions needed!
kjkjhkj Offline

Loc: wv
Summer is coming up and I want to start going on a few overnight trips here and there. I live in West Virginia and plan on taking trips around the Cranberry and Greenbrier Rivers because they are areas I am familiar with. However, here is where the problem lies. I am a college student and money is tight. I have about 275$ to invest in a pack, sleeping bag, and tent. I realize that this is a small amount, and I am not going to get top quality, light gear. I am willing to make this sacrifice so I can test the waters of backpacking, and invest more money in equipment when I have more experience and learn what I prefer. The second problem is I have very few places where I can go and look at things before I buy them. The best place to my knowledge would be a bass pro or cabelas, but both of these are about 2 and a half hours away, so unless I schedule any trips Dicks sporting goods is going to be the easiest place for me to look/try on backpacks, and their selection is limited at best.
This is a list of things that I have gathered.
*I know I may be able to buy these things for a lower price elsewhere, after I decide on a product I will shop around for a lower price.*

Also I am 6'2 180 lbs 32 waist
(havent got measured for a pack yet)

Eureka Casper 15

I chose this sleeping bag because it was light, rated for temperatures colder than I am likely to see (Although it may not be completely accurate) I do not anticipate it getting below 32 degrees in the summer hiking I am planning to do.

Coleman hooligan 2

I know that this tent is pretty heavy when judged by most standards, but for the price and reviews I have read it seems like my best option for the price. (My biggest concern is staying dry in case of rain.

Packs at Dick's

I am kindve of up in the air when it comes to packs. I have read reviews about the Hiigh Sierra and the common theme is they are durable which is important to me. However, I was told by my local Dicks that they have never even heard of them, and I am not about to purchase a pack that I cannot try on first. But would anyone recommend any of the other packs listed on that page because they said they have all of those.

I am sorry if I have left anything out that is needed to help me, I appreciate any and all advice. thanks in advance

#132047 - 04/13/10 10:31 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
If you're backpacking alone, you can get a decent (and much lighter) solo tent for not much more than that behemoth.

Also, if you want someone relatively well versed in this sort of gear, Dicks is not the place to go. You're in WV, in close proximity to appalachia, there HAS to be a decent outfitter in your area that would have better packs and more knowledge on what to look for.

And if budget is the #1 priority, keep an eye out on Craigslist, look around on GearSwap, and hunt around in the classifieds on boards such as this. You can get lightly used quality gear at the same price as you'd pay for crummy gear at a big-box store like Dicks.

#132049 - 04/13/10 10:54 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Since budget is your primary concern, I would look on the gear swap forums on here, WhiteBlaze and BPL, as well as Ebay and Craigslist for great deals on used gear.

Another option is to find an outfitter that you can rent gear from, just to give you an idea of what works for you.

If my budget for all three was $275, then this is what I would purchase:

- 8x10 Tarp: $70
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069
- Campmor's +20 degree sleeping bag: $120
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

That leaves $85 for a backpack-- look for something in the 55-65L capacity range. You shouldn't need anymore, but since your budget is tight, I am guessing your gear could be on the bulky side, and thus you probably do not want anything smaller.

If you are set on that Eureka, then add $40 to your backpack budget with $125 I would look at Gossamer Gear's G4, SMD's Swift, Granite Gear's Vapor Trail, Gregory's Z55, Osprey's Aether 60 (heavy at 4lbs but within budget).

Any good outfitter would have the last three packs.

Edited by ChrisFol (04/13/10 11:23 PM)

#132051 - 04/13/10 11:28 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Take your time, shop around, do research online if you can find the time, snoop thru places like this for mention of gear and info. If you want to buy new, lots of sales going on now. Campmor, REI, Backcountry, Campsaver, links thru this site and online. Cheap but heavy sleeping bags can be had for under $40. Check out Ebay too if you have a checking account or credit card. Before the site crash, JimShaw posted a link to some Eureka tents. Consider gear lengths, heights and weight when getting down to the nitty gritty and view as many reviews as you can find.

#132052 - 04/13/10 11:33 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: ChrisFol]
kjkjhkj Offline

Thanks for the help guys, I am not SET on anything, like I said im new to backpacking so I am open to any and all suggestions. I will take what both of you said into consideration

#132061 - 04/14/10 01:45 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I suspect the 15-degree rating is pretty optimistic on the Eureka bag. Most synthetic bags rated at 15 degrees would weigh a pound or so more.

Speaking of Eureka, though, a friend of mine just bought a Eureka Spitfire 1 (1-person) tent somewhere on line for $79. He likes it so far, and I'm starting to want one. I think they're $99 at Campmor.

#132067 - 04/14/10 02:24 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: billk]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
Have you considered and look at the Make Your Own Gear section? Some really good ideas and ways to reduce the cost of obtaining some high quality gear. Kit sites are also available at Thru Hiker, http://thru-hiker.com/kits/; and Ray Jardine, http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/php/order-form.php

There are numerous other sites for obtaining the raw materials for making your own gear.

#132078 - 04/14/10 09:32 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: CJC]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Don't forget that you can also rent your gear. This is a great option if you aren't going out that much, say once or twice a year. It will also help you decide what you want, or even if you like this backpacking thing.

#132093 - 04/14/10 02:44 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives.

#132108 - 04/15/10 03:15 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Take a look at the sponsors' websites. They list all kinds of gear and you can compare prices and features.

Trying to outfit yourself for under $300 is tough, but not impossible. Used gear is the way to go, BUT, you need to know what you are looking at and that will take some research. Look at the websites for the better brands. Look at REI, they sell a lot of different brands and have sales regularly. Plus, they will take things back if they don't fit or you don't like them-basically they take back almost anything for almost any reason.

Cheap gear tends to be heavy. That is the tradeoff. With sleeping bags the saying is "cheap, light, warm...pick two." A bag that is all 3 hasn't been invented. Anyone who claims there is just isn't being honest about it.

Buying a second-hand tent is a good way to save money, but you need to know what you are looking at, just like with other gear.

A cheap pack is probably the best place to save. Decent packs can be had for around $100. Won't be the lightest, but will be adequate.

For my money, I'd focus on getting a decent bag, then pack, then tent in that order. If you hike with friends, one of them may already have a tent, but you need your own bag and pack for sure.

btw, a 15F bag for $80? I don't believe it for a minute.

Edited by TomD (04/15/10 03:18 AM)

#132115 - 04/15/10 09:33 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: TomD]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
If I were just getting started, knowing what I know today, I would start with the sleeping bag. And where and when you hike will make a big difference in how warm a bag you need. Get a good bag that will keep you warm, but don't by an arctic monster for the AT in July!

Backpacks? I'd get a cheap, used, external frame pack at a thrift shop or garage sale. I see them all the time for under $15. And they'll work just fine for a few days in the woods.

I agree that you can share a tent. And if you are not worried about bugs, a tarp and a couple of poles will keep you dry for almost no money at all. $10 or so.

Let's go hiking!

Edited by balzaccom (04/15/10 09:34 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132153 - 04/16/10 09:06 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
dzierzak Offline

Loc: WV
Where in WV? I'm in Huntington - the closest decent gear shops are Lexington, KY and Columbus, OH. The only stuff local is Internet... Dicks sucks for backpacking gear - yes, there is one local.

#132162 - 04/16/10 12:12 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: dzierzak]
kjkjhkj Offline

Thanks for all the input everyone, I am in Huntington as well.
As for a tent, what features are good to look for? I have done some of research and it seems like everyone has their own opinions, so the answer to my question could likely be try things out and see what I like. That being said are there any particular features I should look for? So far a friend has suggested getting a tent with a rain fly that goes all the way to the way or close to ground. Once again thanks for all the help!

#132188 - 04/16/10 10:13 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Being in the Southeast myself, the biggest thing on my list of features in a tent is ventilation. Assuming you're staying local on your trips, humidity will be a large factor in staying dry, plus your condensation and the fact that you're liekly to be camping under a forest canopy, adding to relative humidity. Look for tents that have large sections of mesh roof (for nights that don't require your fly) or that have actual vents built into the fly fabric.

Another option would be to buy a single-wall tent, like the Tarptent models. The model I have has bug netting sewn in on all sides, which allows for great ventilation, and the drip line of the tent walls actually direct water away from the netting to keep you dry. Used TT's generally pop up in the "Buy and Sell Gear" forum here regularly.

Having a bombproof rainfly isn't really that important in my neck of the woods...I typically find myself under a fairly thick canopy when I'm hiking, and the storms generally don't last that long here. It's just a different scene than what you would find above treeline in the West. A bombproof, ground-length rainfly will also really build up condensation overnight down here, particularly in the summer!

Aside from that, everything else is just details. Tents that have pole clips instead of pole sleeves are generally lighter; the fewer the poles the lighter, and hubbed poles are the lightest of options, but also the most expensive. Set up models you're interested in and make sure that you actually have enough room to roll around, sit completely up, change clothes, etc.

#132189 - 04/16/10 10:27 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
OregonMouse Offline

Since you're not sure what you want in a tent (other than, obviously, rain protection), I suggest you borrow/rent/share a tent for a while and look at what's out there (among the backpackers, not the car campers who don't carry their tents on their backs). Look through the links of sponsors for this site and see the variety of tents they carry. Do remember that for most standard tents, the weight does not include the stakes, so is definitely understated! (Plenty of skulduggery among the big gear manufacturer, as everywhere!)

Some of the decisions you have to make are: how many persons, seasons of use, single wall vs. double wall, free-standing or not (remember that you have to stake a freestanding tent down anyway or it will leave--with your gear--in the next strong wind), weight. I hope that by now you've read the articles and gear lists I linked to on the home page here to get some idea of what you should look for in a backpacking tent.

My personal preference is for a lightweight single-wall tent with plenty of ventilation, such as the Tarptent Contrail (one person, 1 1/2 lbs.) or the Tarptent Squall 2 (2-person, 2 lbs.). Both of these have been around quite a while, so have stood the test of time. There are plenty of good used ones listed on the various backpacking forums as people with more $$$ to spend switch to newer models. My own experience with double-wall tents was that they are claustrophobic, too heavy and even more prone to condensation when closed up. Actually, if it weren't that I insist on a bug-free space for my dog as well as me, I'd probably switch to a tarp instead of a tent. If it were just me (no dog) I'd use a tarp and a bug net, but I haven't yet found a bug bivy that will work for the two of us! ChrisFol above has a link to an excellent tarp. Of course, that's my personal preference. As we often say here, YMMV--Your Mileage May Vary! Also, if you're planning to backpack in winter (I don't), you'll need something that can take more of a snow load.

Just for fun, I googled "hiking clubs huntington wv" and came up with this site showing three hiking/backpacking groups in West Virginia. They might be a good place to start to meet other backpackers and find people to go on trips with who can loan or share gear. They can also help you find a decent outfitter with knowledgeable staff. Perhaps some of our members in your area (I'm rather far away!) can help.

#132197 - 04/16/10 11:44 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

If you can find one, a locally owned backpacking store can be a great source of information. Often they carry used gear or at least have used gear for sale notices at the store! I googled backpacking outfitters in WV and came up with places in, among others, Morgantown, Harpers Ferry (even I've heard of this store), and this one in Huntington, which doesn't have a website, so there's no online info about it:

Franklin Outfitters
945 4th Ave., Suite 205
Huntington, WV 25701
304-522-0649

google is your friend!

Does your college have some kind of outing club? You may be able to rent (cheaply) or borrow gear there--worth a look!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/17/10 12:07 AM)

#132304 - 04/19/10 01:39 AM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Check out the post in this section asking for help with an external frame backpack--which the lucky new owner found at a garage sale! Have patience and keep looking! Let us know how you fare!

#134229 - 05/25/10 12:52 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
arcane Offline

Loc: WV
You are on the right track by visiting this website and doing your research before buying gear. I'm fairly new to Backpacking and made the mistake of buying heavy gear for a trip to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park last year. I really wish I had done more research before buying my gear last year.

If you have the option of renting/borrowing gear before you buy then that is the best option IMO.

I'm planning to continue using my current pack & tent for the next few trips so I have a good basis for comparison once I begin the switch to a lighter pack and tent.

#134232 - 05/25/10 01:43 PM Re: Opinions needed! [Re: kjkjhkj]
HikerJoe Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
Someone suggested EBay as a source of inexpensive gear, I found sevral backpacks under $100 and under 3 lbs, they are of quality construction as well. Conscus is one brand and K-cliffs is another. My son uses a K-Cliffs but it only fits up to 15" torso, he will outgrow it this year but we have two youngsters who we could pass it on to. Campmor's 20 deg down bag is highly rated on BackpakingLite.com so I would not knock it. Also Eureka has a website where they sell seconds and refirbs cheap. I got a solitude for $25! And a 15 deg bag for $69. Link to eureka: https://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/default.asp

Edited by HikerJoe (05/25/10 01:46 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum